Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charleston, SC (speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have any of you guys near Charleston been able to find out any more about the SC location? My wife's going down there tomorrow and it got me started wondering if any progress had been made on it.

Sure would like to see an SC in Charleston. I will be driving my TM3 there next week. I vacation there often. C'mon Tesla, Charleston SC needs a charger quickly!!!!!

Sure would like to see an SC in Charleston. I will be driving my TM3 there next week. I vacation there often. C'mon Tesla, Charleston SC needs a charger quickly!!!!!

I want to add my vote for this location as well. We have been patiently waiting for Tesla to get this SC location underway. I realize that Charleston can sometimes be difficult to deal with administratively, but Tesla has had this on the proposed site list for a couple of years and we are afraid that "sometime during 2018", is soon going to become "sometime in 2019". Every time I stop in at a Tesla store I ask if they have any new info on a timeline for a Charleston, SC and I get the same response, it is on the list for 2018. We travel into Charleston twice a month and the destination chargers currently in place are all associated with hotels. These establishments are often accommodating but the charging is only 17 to 24 MPH which isn't very practical since we need to add 150 miles to get back home; and the Santee SC is great to have but it is more beneficial to North-South traffic on I-95 and it isn't very convenient if you are traveling across South Carolina East-West.

On a funny note... a friend of the family said she'd seen a Tesla super charger in Mt Pleasant. I told her, no, there's not one in Charleston yet. She saw the four HPWCs in the parking garage at Towne Center in Mt P, and didn't know the difference. Can't fault her, but it goes to public perception... every Tesla charging station *is* a supercharger to the uninitiated.

Yes! I love watching a movie at the Belk mall and charging up. The bad part is non-Teslas park there, which is very annoying. They finally resorted to painting the entire parking spaces in BRIGHT red to hopefully get people to stop.

Doggone it... I just checked Charleston County SC building permits site and see nothing around tanger outlets in N Chs. My other hunch would be exit 199 in summerville, but the building permits aren't online. bummer.....

Charleston is not transparent when it comes to various permit processes. If you need a building permit in a hurry you are on the wrong planet. There are a number of good sites in Charleston or near the 526 beltline (the airport for example). I keep searching for information on a Charleston area Supercharger or Urban charger but there is very little news. Perhaps there just isn't enough noise yet.
On a related note, we attended a community forum on Kiawah Island this week and I took the opportunity to point out the scarcity of EV chargers on the island. Kiawah is too remote to justify a supercharger but as a leading resort destination Kiawah/Seabrook needs to implement a plan for the installation of some EV chargers. There are a lot of condominiums (owner occupied and/ or rented) and since getting your own charger installed at a condominium is out of the question, a public space or retail space needs to be identified and chargers need to be installed.

Reactions: BlueRidgeksky
Seems like I heard there are HPWC at The Sanctuary, but that is decidedly not public.

We have used the Sanctuary charger on several occasions, but it isn't public and it really isn't convenient. They only have one, so if there is more than one Tesla on the property you have to wait your turn. And the charger is in the hotel loading dock area, so your car has to be valeted ($22.00 plus tip). The last time we used the Sanctuary charger we encountered a valet who knows we are not guests and he also knows we tip when we pick the car up, not when we drop the car off, and he was less than accommodating, he didn't think he could get it on the charger, etc. Then when we got back home I noticed some curb rash on the bottom of the right front fender. Of course it could have been the result of a subsequent valet, but I now try to find alternate charging options.