TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charlotte NC Supercharger

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Chas F, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Chas F

Chas F Model S 60kWh #P6396

Not sure if this is covered elsewhere, but now that Charlotte is on the short list, do we have any rumors or actual recon on where and when this one will go up?

2. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I don't know. But I am road tripping to Charlotte in the beginning of August. I really want a Supercharger so I can drive 80, and not 55 all the way there.

3. thetigerfans

thetigerfans Member

Please keep me posted with updates. We need to get to Clemson in May and would prefer not to bother too many Tesla owners for charging. Thank you.

4. Synapse120

Synapse120 Member

I live in Fort Mill, SC, but work in the university area of Charlotte. Based on my research and looking at the map zoomed in on my phone, it looks like it will be on 85 near concord mills mall (that has lots to offer for food and so on.

I will keep an eye out for things as we move through out the year.

With that said I'm on plugshare, and i have a NEMA 14 - 50 at my townhouse, so anyone is welcome to stop by for a charge if they need it while passing through. There is a Bar/Grill across the street from my house with good food to pass the time.

5. thetigerfans

thetigerfans Member

I don't believe I ever said thank you for your offer, but we had to do the trip in our ICE vehicle. At least we took the one that gets 30 mpg on the highway (and it's 12 years old.) But next year's trip will definitely be in an S or maybe even an X if we're lucky.

6. trigga71

trigga71 Member

Any update on this? It would really make my trips to NC shorter.

7. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

8. mspisars

mspisars Member

Honestly, I think the stations will target the more affluent parts of town (not knocking University Place).
    My two best guesses are:
    The brand new Premium Outlets Outlets Blvd - Google Maps
    The NorthLake Mall Google Maps

Both places have (or will have shortly) restaurants and other shopping and also will target areas of town where folks can afford the Tesla!

9. sandwich

sandwich Member

10. thetigerfans

thetigerfans Member

At the rate the SC network is being in built, the CHAdeMO adapter may be obsolete in the US before it comes to market.

11. Jonathan Hewitt

Jonathan Hewitt Active Member

I was thinking (hoping?) the same thing.

12. sandwich

sandwich Member

ditto, but there ain't no SC in the Charlotte area yet. This would at least provide something while we wait if the adaptor were available. I also believe CHAdeMO could end up being a nice supplement to the SC network in some of the off the beaten path locations.

13. thetigerfans

thetigerfans Member

But at $1,000 for the adapter, you would probably need to use it so many times before it was even worth it. Given the option, I would probably go with our ICE vehicle (and I do cringe when I say that!) Last month's trip of 1,800 miles in 4 days only cost $210 for the gas. Next year that same trip will be emissions free!

14. trigga71

trigga71 Member

Yeah the price is ridiculous. Id rather Tesla put in some HPWC in the mean time Or Owners use the "adapter" money to install HPWC around the area.

15. Chas F

Now that the Charlotte SC seems to show some movement as evidenced by the latest change to the supercharger map, I have to believe it is at the permitting stage. Based on the new map, it looks as if the SC will go in near the I-85/485 junction just to the west of downtown.
    Anyone have the ability to dig thru the permits in this area?

16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

If it's really off the beaten path, how are CHAdeMO BEVs going to get there?

17. Chas F

I had hoped to use this SC this Thanksgiving when traveling to NC to visit family but by my estimation, it will need to have permitting started within the next two weeks in order to go live by then. This has been on the "coming soon" list since March. What's taking so long?!

Oh, and sorry if I got your hopes up by waking this thread. :smile:

18. Skateboardgolf

What's the latest update on Charlotte? I'm driving from Durham to Fort Mill, SC, and a Charlotte Supercharger would make this trip doable. The thought of having to take my wife's ICE SUV makes me cringe.

19. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Still no sign of a permit being pulled, so this one is probably still months away. That said, you should be able to get to Fort Mill from Durham easily, even without stopping in Burlington.

20. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

I wouldn't sweat that one at all skateboard, unless I were doing it round trip in one day. Even then topping off in Burlington outbound and hitting it on the way back would probably work. 60 kWh of course is a different story.