Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charlotte, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This stop (~9 miles *east* of 77) doesn't make sense in the SC to Statesville situation either, since you'd take 485 on the west side. In fact, I drive in this area pretty regularly. The traffic on the 485 loop between Hwy 74 and I-77 on the southern side is usually pretty sparse. There simply are no major routes that require using it, so a supercharger here would very limited in usefulness... mostly locals.

And don't get me wrong. A supercharger in place of every gas station would be nice at some point.

I just don't think resources should be wasted building chargers that are out of the way of routes that actually need them until all needed spots are covered without huge detours.

If a charger were placed in this location (3429 TORINGDON WAY), I could easily see Tesla's idiotic route planner sending drivers 20+ minutes out of their way to use this stop, and drivers not realizing until it was too late to change their route (and charge a little more at the last stop) to avoid the detour. Definitely not ideal.

Reactions: democappy and SigNC
I have to agree. The first spot seemed like they were trying to cover both 77 and 85 so they put one that was between them and not really convenient for either. This second one is even less convenient. I have to assume that this location would mainly have local charging in mind. I think it is safe to assume the majority of Tesla owners in Charlotte live closer to the south side and this charger.

I called Tesla about slow supercharging at the Charlotte location back in November. The support guy asked me if it was the Mallard Creek Supercharger or the Toringdon Way Supercharger. I informed him that we only had one in Charlotte and he said his system showed 2, but that Toringdon showed offline after he looked into further. I didn’t really tell anyone about it, but seeing the permit definitely makes me think this is a future supercharger. Not a good location for people traveling 77 though.

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd
That new location would not help me one bit on day trips from Columbia to Charlotte (my most common road trip scenario). LR Model 3 can make it both ways without stress, but any other car needs a bit of a top-up to be safe if destination charging isn’t guaranteed. Anywhere on 77 between about Tyvola and Rock Hill would make a lot more sense for a lot of people.

Tried to navigate to current SC and the nav said location closed. Anyone have any new info on the old location? Last PlugShare checkin there was about 10 days ago.

Was there about a month ago and was getting similar messages... that it was either closed or there was reduced service. But it is open. I found 2 of the chargers out of service. But the others seem to be working. Not sure what’s going on at this location and why it’s taking so long to get the chargers fixed.

Was there about a month ago and was getting similar messages... that it was either closed or there was reduced service. But it is open. I found 2 of the chargers out of service. But the others seem to be working. Not sure what’s going on at this location and why it’s taking so long to get the chargers fixed.
Tesla is spread thin with their supercharger repair team. And by spread thin, I mean cash is tight. I know we all may not like the reason, but there it is.

Thanks! Routed around it on the way up. On the return trip, actually got routed there and 6 stations were working and in use.

@BlueShift this is a confirmed new Tesla Supercharger location going through permitting in Charlotte (Ballantyne Area)

The address is:
3429 TORINGDON WAY
Charlotte NC 28277

Checklist Item Notes:
LUESA Commercial -- Commercial City Zoning -- Parking required:
Noted on 6/28/2019
Charging facility is taking up parking - provide required parking calculations for entire site showing site meets parking requirements.

LUESA Commercial -- Commercial City Zoning -- Permitted use
Noted on 6/28/2019
Charging stations

The permit link is WebPermit 7.3 - Project
The detail page for the project Plan Review StatMap

I can see that several things are already approved. I read the previous pages and it looks like it is going much faster than the last time they tried to put one up in Charlotte. Think this one will be open faster? Is there anyone in the area that can update us every once in a while? Here is a link to the supercharger info: supercharge.info

You mean at Toringdon Way location? I would love to know if it is open because I plan to take my M3 for a road trip. I check it on the Tesla app, it still shows permit status. Thanks