TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Charlotte NC to Asheville NC Trip Advice

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by ArtInCT, Dec 25, 2016.

1. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Hi Folks:
    In the second week of January, we shall be going from Charlotte NC (Supercharger) to Asheville, NC.

I have two possible routes which I have calculated via EVTripping and EV Trip Planner.

One route is via 74 to 26 which in my S estimates out to 132 rated miles

the other route is 85 to Greenville (supercharge in Greenville) then up 25 to 26 to Asheville.

This last route appears cumbersome.

What do you all suggest?

2. kort677

kort677 Banned

if you have the range to skip the greenville SpC, then do that. why make an unnecessary out of the way stop? there is an SpC just a bit away from downtown Asheville where you can replenish your charge

3. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Thanks for that advice Kort677! I was leaning that way too.
    Do you know what the route 74 from Charlotte to Asheville is like? For instance how many lanes?
    It is well maintained and what is it like in "snow"??

4. pslawing

pslawing Member

You will go I85 to 74 to I26
    74 is dual lane all the way like interstate past Shelby NC. Good Road. I live in the area. Shelby a little congested for about 7 miles

5. tdjvfr

tdjvfr Member

I made the trip early December when it was cold. We took I85 to 74 to i26. It's an easy drive. Coming back we did the reverse but much faster, 80 and up when passing. We still had plenty of miles when we got to Charlotte supercharger. I have an old P85. It was a fun trip.

6. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

thanks, I went on YouTube and found a video of the Route 74. Looks like a really nice drive with slow vehicle third lane at times.
    Thanks Guys!

7. kort677

kort677 Banned

Sorry I can't offer advise on that, I am sure others can help. check on the asheville spc thread

8. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

9. PJFW8

PJFW8 waiting impatiently for Model 3

10. PJFW8

PJFW8 waiting impatiently for Model 3

I have driven this often. 74 is ok. A few stops but very efficient for an EV. by far the best way. 25 from Greenville is entertaining... not a good idea

• Like x 1
  11. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

I have done this trip several times in my P85D. Gastonia, Hickory then Asheville is my preferred choice. Because there is quite a climb from Hickory to Asheville and the Tesla loves to go fast on the curves and climb I suggest you might stop at Union Square in Hickory to walk around, enjoy the ambience and collect a few more watts to let you misbehave on the way to Asheville. The Asheville Supercharger is on your way in to the city so you really don't need to stop in Hickory. BTW, the Hyatt Place and Albemarle Inn in Asheville both have Destination Chargers.

12. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

Drove Model S 85 From N Wilkesboro to Highlands, NC its 185 miles. last year. When you reach the top of the Mt its down hill most all the way. Like JB, I like I40 better.