TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charlotte to new Knoxville Supercharger - Possible?

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Footer, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Footer

Footer Member

I'd like to return to Milwaukee from Charlotte via Knoxville instead of going 400 miles out of my way through DC.

I checked the Nav system when I was at the Charlotte supercharger and it says 264 miles to the new Knoxville supercharger. Think I can make it? I did 290 miles traveling between Milwaukee and Chicago in October with neither heat nor A/C on. I'm wondering if the mountains west of Asheville will eat up extra range, although I wouldn't mind going 50 mph in that area if I had too.

I have a NEMA 14-50 but no J1772. Anyone know of a good place to stop for an hour or 2 if I need a little extra range?

I'll probably leave at 5 AM to avoid traffic and minimize need for A/C.

2. Father Bill

Father Bill Member

plugshare.com

3. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

Google maps has that route at 252 miles. The net elevation change is probably minimal, but not sure how much the mountains would impact it overall since there would be some minimal loss with the regen. I'd say you would probably make it driving very conservatively. Why no J1772? Just didn't bring it with you? Most of the options for charging along the way seem to be J1772 with few 14-50. If you are leaving from Charlotte, you could see if the new store/service center there has one in stock you could purchase. Just a thought.

4. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

There are HPWCs in Asheville as well as owners on the forums between Charlotte and Knoxcille. I would suggesting planning a top up at one of these locations.

5. Footer

Footer Member

I brought my J1772 with me after all. :biggrin:

I have plugshare on my phone. Guess I better use it. Once I get onto I40 in Tennessee I should have a better idea whether or not I need to add a little power.

6. muleferg

muleferg Member

Asheville Public Works has a CHAdeMO. if you have the adapter. There is a CHAdeMO also in Hickory at the Nissan store.

7. PJFW8

PJFW8 waiting impatiently for Model 3

Consider this: on I 26 just 6 miles south or the intersection with I 40 there is there is the Biltmore Park Town Square shopping area. They have a pair of free chargers and tons of convenient places for coffee or lunch (including a Borders Book store). Exit 37. Nice break before the mountains. I am not sure of the amperage, but you would not be the first Tesla to charge there! This is a nice stop prior to the drive through the mountains.

8. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Welcome to stop at my place on plugshare in Hickory and top off after leaving Charlotte. Could certainly make it from my place.

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Got to love I specifically recalled you saying this in another thread before and I was thinking it when I wrote my comments further upthread -- I just didn't want to put you on the spot. As a fringe benefit, you get to see a P85D and P85 side-by-side if you stop for a top-up!

10. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

Hickory would be a great location for a supercharger, IMHO.

11. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

There's a CHAdeMO at Hickory Nissan also, according to plugshare... I haven't been over there though.

12. Footer

Footer Member

This sounds good. I will plan on it. I don't have to go out of my way. Thanks.

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Footer, how did this work out for you in the end? I am looking at maybe making the same run at the beginning of October.

wk057, I am looking into my charging options now. I think I may need to reach out to you and put my dual chargers to use. Since I don't have a CHAdeMO adapter, picking up a charge in Asheville would be hours to make it. I had thought there were HPWC's in Asheville, but PlugShare isn't turning up any results for me.

14. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

No problem. You can find me on plug share just south of I-40 near 321. Just give me a heads up and I'll move a car. :)

15. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Yeah, I put some of the details in a different thread here: Charlotte to Chicago Road Trip

I found you on Plugshare and its 75 rated miles from my house to yours and about 60 rated miles from the SpC to yours, but the same travel time either way. I figured I could make sure to grab a 95% charge at work and with 120v overnight head straight to your place with 90%. It's the hop to Knoxville from your place cuts it close at about 255 rated miles. More details in my thread, but essentially, fly (and even with TSA prep time) be done in 5 hours or drive and be done in 18-19, each way.

16. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    there is CHAeMO and the bizarre Combo fast charger in the garage at the Aloft in Asheville. I have not charged there but I saw them today.

17. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I ended up flying for this trip. It would have been a 16 hour drive at best, I had no firm options on parking when I got there (I'd be street side, but would have to figure out where I could park without being a "resident"), and didn't have access to destination charging unless I sat at CVS for hours. In the end, I found street side parking abundant (still unsure if I could park there for a week though) and the Chicago Service Center was only two miles down the road and has a 24/7 Supercharger. I could have driven. That said, I am driving to Miami on Friday, but there are multiple routes I can take with Superchargers right along the way.