Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chart for Model 3 reservations — cumulative and hourly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
workbook3-2016-04-03-18-00-03.png

This is a better graph from Electrek.
Nice, I like this one because its interesting

The graph shows reservations started at 0 on Thursday - I assumed the published reservation #s included Tesla and SpaceX employees. So maybe when this graph started it was around 20-30k?

Of course that doesn't change much in terms of the message, and the graph is still super illustrative (and including the first derivative was a great idea)!

The graph shows reservations started at 0 on Thursday - I assumed the published reservation #s included Tesla and SpaceX employees. So maybe when this graph started it was around 20-30k?

Of course that doesn't change much in terms of the message, and the graph is still super illustrative (and including the first derivative was a great idea)!
I really like that the folks on this site challenge the spacing on the x-axis and note the slope's derivative and that the zero time point may be at 20K. Nice to know that there are some educated and savvy folks out there. Looking at political campaigns, one can get the impression that savvy is dead.

It would be great if we could set Time 0 to 3/30/2016 21:00 UTC (8 AM in Sydney and Melbourne).

When I plot the reservations myself I get a nice S-shaped density-dependent growth curve.
That's the plan. :)

I'm on vacation, so bear with me on the delayed updates to the graph haha.

EDIT: If reservations started at 3/30/2016 21:00 UTC, then Elon made the 24 hour announcement 32 hours after the zero hour. So should that data point reflect 24 or 32 hours after reservations opened? Perhaps the 24 hour announcement pertains only to in-store reservations.. but I doubt that. The problem here is inconsistent and unclear time data points presented by Elon and Tesla.

Last edited:
Model 3 Reservation Tally

It was mentioned in another thread that stores in Melbourne and Sydney actually opened at 8 AM, so that's 3/30/2016 21:00 UTC.

Correct. First reservation was in the Melbourne store. They opened the doors at exactly 8:00am Australian Eastern Daylight saving time. The guys walked in, got a photo shaking hands with Heath (Tesla marketing guy), sat down and placed the order: 8:02 AM AEST (daylight savings in effect). I reckon the order process, paying, putting in details, took about 2-3 minutes. They stood up and got a clap from the assembled store staff, took more photos and left the building.