Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charting speed and acceleration vs. time (dashcam data)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
I'm having trouble wrangling Excel to do what I want but I figured folks might be interested.

In roughly an hour's worth of data samples with a few hours of writing the tooling to extract the data from the files and about 20 minutes wrangling the numbers in Excel:

SpeedAccelerationChart1.png

There's a bit of "data overload" here so the acceleration part of the chart leaves much to be desired. I'll have to look into filtering the data a bit more.

If anybody on the forum has experience massaging such data, I'm listening. :)

The speed is from the GPS data file and the accelerometer data is from the 3GF file. It's good to see them sync'd up with each other.

• 18:37:10 : stop light
  • 18:37:26 : let off (including regen) to let a threatened BMW floor it and get past a lane obstruction
  • 18:38:31 : right turn at stop light
  • 18:39:07 : let off the accelerator to keep a safe distance from the decelerating BMW (and road veers to the right)

This data lines up correctly with the video footage (MP4). :)

Interesting sidenote: The deceleration concluding at 18:37:10 was triggered as a "high deceleration event (potentially collision)" (I was surprised the light stayed red). Yes, the Model S has good brakes.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice. What are you using the capture the data?
Same one as Dr Taras.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/14877-Al-amp-Ed-s-Dr-Taras-Model-S-gets-customized!?p=328406&viewfull=1#post328406

- - - Updated - - -

Peak acceleration in the direction of travel was 42 units (0.328G) and maximum deceleration was 112 units (0.875G).

I definitely wasn't hammering the brakes, just moderate pressure coupled with regen.

Random data point from the intertubes in March 2005:
G's ....... SD
1.14 .... 187 ft ..... Ferrari Enzo
1.05 .... +16 ....... BMW M5
Braking g's Comparison (edit 6/23/05, 14 additions) [Archive] - AudiWorld Forums