Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In honor of Bill D and lamenting those lost 7/100ths of a second :)
This release has ring buffer processing at the end of a data session to prevent the loss of seven samples just following the TPS threshold start (or switch) start of logging.

As always.... x00y where y is the release "C"
x is the threshold to start logging (25, 50, 75% and Switch Activated)

Dropbox - UPDATE_C00A00C.EBL
Dropbox - UPDATE_C00B00C.EBL
Dropbox - UPDATE_C00C00C.EBL
Dropbox - UPDATE_C00D00C.EBL
Awesome! Thanks. Now all I need is a FW logger ;-)

In honor of Bill D and lamenting those lost 7/100ths of a second :)
This release has ring buffer processing at the end of a data session to prevent the loss of seven samples just following the TPS threshold start (or switch) start of logging.

As always.... x00y where y is the release "C"
x is the threshold to start logging (25, 50, 75% and Switch Activated)

Dropbox - UPDATE_C00A00C.EBL
Dropbox - UPDATE_C00B00C.EBL
Dropbox - UPDATE_C00C00C.EBL
Dropbox - UPDATE_C00D00C.EBL
Excellent, Bill. You're way more responsive to customers' needs than Fremont :).

I've installed C00A00C and I'll make some runs with it ASAP

Bad news: I dropped the ball on logging at ORP. Only the 4th session was viable and by then I was at 1/2 battery so it wasn't really compelling. (Also I forgot to flip the switch. :()

Good news: I'll be at the Ridge this weekend, so hopefully I can get some data then.
I'm curious to see the correlation between the spreadsheet's virtual Timeslip numbers and actual Dragstrip Timeslip numbers, even on runs aren't very good or not complete (only 60 ft times etc).

The 75% TPS trigger version of the LolaLogger FW should end your need to flip the switch. Just match all the sequential time-of-day Dragstrip slips with the sequential runs in the logger.

Thanks for the neat logger Lola Bill!
I've been lagging on getting data, It has been wet for a while and everything was very slippery. TC is interesting.
I switched wheels for the race this weekend and headed to the nice part of town to try and pull a 0-60 on the sand paper chip seal they have. Always dog walkers out so it is tricky to get a 0-60 without potentially being arrested. this is a 1 way in/out little community....anyway I almost did a good run behind the back of a couple of walkers, managing to get back down to 25 before they turned around. Car felt a bit slow to me, probably too cold.
I thought the torque bounce before regen was interesting, also saw that same spike on the P+ graph back a few pages
upload_2016-3-25_7-35-9.png

so what would be the best data to collect this weekend? I won't be messing with a switch while racing and the race is ~5 minutes so will I get data for it all or will it be overwritten? I'd think then end would be the most interesting when I am power limited and hot. So just plugging the logger in and racing is what I will probably do.

After multiple failed connections I finally got the logger from MikeBur and had some time to play with it today. Unforunately it was very wet out and after my first 0-70mph runs it started hailing while I was looking at the data. So I haven't gotten to testing range mode which I think is the main desire of doing some logging with a 85D.

The road I'm testing on has a slight grade downhill. But it's the flattest and straightest road that's safe and close, so it'll have to do. All of the testing was done heading West.

Some notes about my car. February 2015 85D. Running on 19" Pirelli Sottozero tires (haven't gotten to switching back yet). I'm not sure why (have my suspicions) but it's my understanding that my car has a battery that normally would have gone in a P85D and not the normal battery that most 85Ds have. There's been some discussion about this over on the battery part number thread in the past.

The raw data in the form of Mike's spreadsheet is located here:
Tesla Logging

Here are the graphs and "drag timeslips" for the two 0-70 runs I did today.

Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 6.01.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 5.58.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 6.01.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 5.53.03 PM.png

There is also a 55 mph with TACC in the sheet but without range mode. It's there because it was done, but I don't think it's particularly interesting.

I probably would have gotten more done but it took me a while to figure out how to get the data out of the logger. As lola mentioned it's not very agreeable with Macs and I found Linux wouldn't mount it either. Ended up mounting it into a Windows VM on my Mac which did work.

More later and hopefully on a day that isn't so cold and wet.

Run 2 looks really good, not so sure about run 1 with that little disturbance in the force from 3-3.5 sec...maybe tires slipping on the wet road or ???

Now we can see for sure that the front and rear motors are making the same torque.

Yeah not sure what to make of that, if there was any slipping I didn't notice it and that's over a half second period so I'd think I would have.

Great data, thanks for capturing this. Weather did turn a little crappy today, though keep hold of it until you get some good data for range model, and dry pavement. Also, the closer you can get this to finished charging, the better. Ideally we'd like to see battery pack temps > 30C :)

Agree with Kenny, definitely same Tq. Interesting how front motor got favored until 40mph, then the rear.

Still 0-60 in 3.87 is great. Though remember this is the rolling start numbers not usually quoted for non-Ps. Without rollout this is 4.14 - still pretty good for a very wet attempt! :)

Order in the universe is starting to appear.
It looks like 85Ds are limited to 1050 amps as opposed to P85Ds 1300.
Tesla is following the same trend of limiting torque until the battery limit kicks in. The two small motors take longer to get to that battery limit which also makes sense.
The battery as is can easily source 1300 amps so there is another 150 amps worth of room to play.
I need to go back and look at the torque the Ps are pulling from the small motor. Combining the possible torque from the small motor together with the extra available 150 amps would tell us what an 85D would be capable of if someone were to bother with placing a device between the battery and the car to tell the car to use 1300 instead of 1150 amps along with flashing P small motor firmware onto S small motors.

I looked back and it appears the P and S are both pulling 230 ft-lbs of torque from the small motor. Adding 150 amps will simply allow the car to pull harder/longer after the previous 1150 amp limit in the same way the DL pulls longer/harder than the D. We will not be able to get it to launch harder :(

Sorry, the tuner in me is coming out.

Last edited:

I looked back and it appears the P and S are both pulling 230 ft-lbs of torque from the small motor. Adding 150 amps will simply allow the car to pull harder/longer after the previous 1150 amp limit in the same way the DL pulls longer/harder than the D. We will not be able to get it to launch harder :(

Sorry, the tuner in me is coming out.

but i like the way you're thinking--that's how progress is made.

I just put an updated (v3) Excel Template into Google Docs: Templates

v3 only improves the aesthetics of the graphs. It eliminates the horizontal "retrace" blue and purple lines (MPH and TPS) seen in breser's plot (posted above), which was made with Template v2.

The only change in v3 from v2 is the formula in column N, so you could simply copy and paste that formula into spreadsheets made with template v2 to eliminate the horizontal lines in the plots.

Great data, thanks for capturing this. Weather did turn a little crappy today, though keep hold of it until you get some good data for range model, and dry pavement. Also, the closer you can get this to finished charging, the better. Ideally we'd like to see battery pack temps > 30C :)

Agree with Kenny, definitely same Tq. Interesting how front motor got favored until 40mph, then the rear.

Still 0-60 in 3.87 is great. Though remember this is the rolling start numbers not usually quoted for non-Ps. Without rollout this is 4.14 - still pretty good for a very wet attempt! :)

Yeah weather should be better later this week it's supposed to get up to 60 and dry off so I should get some good data.

Plus I'm taking Thursday off. Depending on how long I'm waiting at the Tesla Store I should have some time to do some other stuff.

It looks like 85Ds are limited to 1050 amps as opposed to P85Ds 1300.

You mean 1150 amps. You said 1150 later on the in the post, but for some reason your top line conclusions seems to be off by 100.

It eliminates the horizontal "retrace" blue and purple lines (MPH and TPS) seen in breser's plot (posted above), which was made with Template v2.

Ahh nice, though I actually used the v1 version. I was having some issues with the calculations not working and thought perhaps it was the v2. After I got it into the v1 sheet I realized it was actually just the pasting of the battery info that really hosed the calculations. Apparently on the Mac version of Excel once you put that data in there the formulas go all wonky and it doesn't fix it when I remove it to move it elsewhere.

Ahh nice, though I actually used the v1 version. I was having some issues with the calculations not working and thought perhaps it was the v2. After I got it into the v1 sheet I realized it was actually just the pasting of the battery info that really hosed the calculations. Apparently on the Mac version of Excel once you put that data in there the formulas go all wonky and it doesn't fix it when I remove it to move it elsewhere.

I initially had the same problem. Its no different with a PC. The 6 cells of Battery info in columns a, b & c should be copy & pasted to columns w, x & y (rather than cut & pasted) then go back and clear those 6 cells. Its the cut & paste that modifies the formulas in the other columns. I've been away from Excel for a good while, but its all coming back to me.

I initially had the same problem. Its no different with a PC. The 6 cells of Battery info in columns a, b & c should be copy & pasted to columns w, x & y (rather than cut & pasted) then go back and clear those 6 cells. Its the cut & paste that modifies the formulas in the other columns. I've been away from Excel for a good while, but its all coming back to me.

Ahh that actually makes sense. Pretty sure I was following the directions in the instructions section so they probably should be updated.

Well, I think I have some interesting data. Here is my enduro race, logger was set on 75% TPS threshold and I clipped out all of the end of each event where speed was down a couple of MPH from the peak of each event and put each event back to back.

so not sure how much time total. I think it is ~ 3 minutes of logged data

Pretty interesting how the Amperage is limited so voltage begins to sag a bit less near the end
upload_2016-3-28_12-29-59.png

upload_2016-3-28_12-37-37.png

...and I lost ....my 4:51.092 vs 2014 M3's 4:51.027 ...WTF!!! last year it was 9/100ths
at least I killed him in the fall Enduro

Last edited: