Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While at a traffic light today, I was futzing with the center console (the hatch just in front of the cupholder, not the armrest), trying to click it closed. Apparently I was a little too aggressive (opening and closing it a bit too forcefully). Got a message on the display telling me to "Close Console Lid Gently."

Very interesting that the car is "aware" of the center console lid -- I'm guessing it's actually going to be lockable, so when the car is giving rides to strangers they won't be able to open it. And better yet, if someone is too aggressive with it, the car can just pull over to the side of the road and boot them out! Very nice.
I was shocked when I got that message on day 3 or so.

While at a traffic light today, I was futzing with the center console (the hatch just in front of the cupholder, not the armrest), trying to click it closed. Apparently I was a little too aggressive (opening and closing it a bit too forcefully). Got a message on the display telling me to "Close Console Lid Gently."

Very interesting that the car is "aware" of the center console lid -- I'm guessing it's actually going to be lockable, so when the car is giving rides to strangers they won't be able to open it. And better yet, if someone is too aggressive with it, the car can just pull over to the side of the road and boot them out! Very nice.
I got that too! i thought how sensitive my car has become! LOL!

To the OP.....that's an amazing message to see on the screen. I find it amazing that Tesla would spend programing time concerning how fast the door gets closed. There seems to be more pressing features to be concerned about.

The issue is if you close the lid to hard or fast it won’t actually stay closed. But people’s general reaction to that is to try harder/faster.

So it would seem broken until you try with a lighter touch, which is counterintuitive. So the UI helps out here and avoids support calls and bad reviews.

The issue is if you close the lid to hard or fast it won’t actually stay closed. But people’s general reaction to that is to try harder/faster.

So it would seem broken until you try with a lighter touch, which is counterintuitive. So the UI helps out here and avoids support calls and bad reviews.

Soo....Tesla should design their cars based on "people's general reaction"?

Tesla is Tesla because they don't design by "peoples general reaction". The model 3's interior was NOT designed by "peoples general reaction".

My opinion is that people should react to Tesla's design....not the other way around.

Upon delivery of the car, i did try to close it too fast/hard but I never got the message. I only got the message when my screen cleaning cloth got in the way (unknowingly) and when i tried to close the lid (unsuccessfully), it gave me the message. I think Elon has programmed some AI in our cars...my Red Rover is just as sensitive as my dog! I wonder what we will see next... ? :D

Soo....Tesla should design their cars based on "people's general reaction"?

Tesla is Tesla because they don't design by "peoples general reaction". The model 3's interior was NOT designed by "peoples general reaction".

My opinion is that people should react to Tesla's design....not the other way around.

They exactly did NOT design it for people's general reaction. General reaction design would have been a lid that you slam shut. They went with a more elegant option, but now it requires user education in order to save Tesla money on warranty repairs and support calls.

If you behave the way Tesla wants you to behave, you'll never see the message.

They exactly did NOT design it for people's general reaction. General reaction design would have been a lid that you slam shut. They went with a more elegant option, but now it requires user education in order to save Tesla money on warranty repairs and support calls.

If you behave the way Tesla wants you to behave, you'll never see the message.

I'll take elegant. Thumbs up to Tesla on this one.

Shocked when I saw this message yesterday after my wife closed it with too much force. Message came up just as I was saying she needs to close it gently...love it when the car has my back! I cant imagine why Tesla would feel the need to do this, other than if it is for when FSD is here and the car is being used like Uber. This could capture if the occupants damaged it....thats the best I could come up with.

The car has a sensor in order to control the light bulb in the storage compartment. The "guidance" on closing the door is just icing on the UI. Not to mention they could eventually provide a "The valet opened the storage compartment" notification.

Reactions: Andrew