Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChatGPT’s Response to a question about 4680 Battery Cells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings!

Out of curiosity I asked ChatGPT “How do Tesla’s 4680 batteries improve EV efficiency?”. This is the reply:

Tesla's 4680 batteries are designed to improve the efficiency of electric vehicles (EVs) in a number of ways. Some of the key benefits of these batteries include:
  1. Increased Energy Density: The 4680 battery has a larger form factor, which allows for more active materials to be packed into each cell. This results in a higher energy density, which means that the battery can store more energy per unit of weight or volume. This increased energy density enables EVs to travel longer distances on a single charge, making them more practical for everyday use.
  2. Improved Thermal Management: The 4680 battery is designed to be more thermally efficient than previous battery designs. This is achieved through the use of new materials and an improved manufacturing process, which results in a more uniform cell structure and better heat dissipation. This allows the battery to operate more efficiently and reduces the risk of overheating or thermal runaway.
  3. Faster Charging: The 4680 battery is capable of accepting higher charging rates than previous battery designs, which allows for faster charging times. This means that EV drivers can recharge their vehicles more quickly and spend less time waiting for their batteries to charge.
  4. Longer Battery Life: The 4680 battery is designed to have a longer lifespan than previous battery designs. This is due in part to the improved thermal management, which reduces the degradation of the battery over time. Additionally, the battery's larger form factor and higher energy density allow it to better withstand the stresses of daily use.
Overall, the 4680 battery represents a significant improvement in EV battery technology, with the potential to increase the efficiency and practicality of EVs for everyday use.

Greetings!

Out of curiosity I asked ChatGPT “How do Tesla’s 4680 batteries improve EV efficiency?”. This is the reply:

Tesla's 4680 batteries are designed to improve the efficiency of electric vehicles (EVs) in a number of ways. Some of the key benefits of these batteries include:
  1. Increased Energy Density: The 4680 battery has a larger form factor, which allows for more active materials to be packed into each cell. This results in a higher energy density, which means that the battery can store more energy per unit of weight or volume. This increased energy density enables EVs to travel longer distances on a single charge, making them more practical for everyday use.
  2. Improved Thermal Management: The 4680 battery is designed to be more thermally efficient than previous battery designs. This is achieved through the use of new materials and an improved manufacturing process, which results in a more uniform cell structure and better heat dissipation. This allows the battery to operate more efficiently and reduces the risk of overheating or thermal runaway.
  3. Faster Charging: The 4680 battery is capable of accepting higher charging rates than previous battery designs, which allows for faster charging times. This means that EV drivers can recharge their vehicles more quickly and spend less time waiting for their batteries to charge.
  4. Longer Battery Life: The 4680 battery is designed to have a longer lifespan than previous battery designs. This is due in part to the improved thermal management, which reduces the degradation of the battery over time. Additionally, the battery's larger form factor and higher energy density allow it to better withstand the stresses of daily use.
Overall, the 4680 battery represents a significant improvement in EV battery technology, with the potential to increase the efficiency and practicality of EVs for everyday use.
They will prob use the 4680 battery in other Teslas -once all the the old stock battery (74khw) has been used. Id love it if they were using the 4680 in the YLR with the HW4 !

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
So far none of the goals of the 4680 have been achieved in generation 1.
2170 actually has a higher energy density . It looks like the one thing that has
been changed is the construction cost of the car due to a structural battery pack.
Meanwhile everyone including Tesla is rushing toward Iron phosphate battery's
that use no Cobalt and Nickel .
dozens of company's are working on next gen battery's it will be interesting
in the next few years to see which one will dominate.
Hardware 4 already coming out of the Fremont Plant on the Y but no new battery
listed.

The 4680 battery is not there yet and far behind its anticipated development. It’s currently worse than the 2170 cells which is why we only see it in the standard Model Y.
If they made the 4680 battery better than the 2170 right out of the gate it would kill their sales on older tech. Those who are ok with waiting will wait.
A 3rd party company does a 10% to 80% on a 4680 battery design (not teslas battery)in 10 minutes.

It's software limited to be worse. Just my thought.

I think the 4680 will be cheaper to produce than 2170 and increase Tesla’s profit per car.
I’ve not heard it will improve driving performance. 18650 cells are still used in the S/X, Plaid included, makes me think the larger, more profitable cells wouldn’t perform as well in that application.

The original promise at battery day a few years ago was it would add 15 percent range and it it would be a totally dry process. They have only been able to get ones of the electrodes to work with the dry process. There still working on that .
So it's not easy . Now there is all kinds of other battery tech that is low hanging fruit to get costs down like Lithium Iron phosphate and Lithium Mangenese Iron phosphate. Which will go in the Shanghai Model 3.
Considering that the Austin Y is only or was only 3k cheaper and has less milage
leaves me feeling Ho Hum so far.
And it's not software limited as shown on Munro and a number of other Ytube reviews.

I think the 4680 will be cheaper to produce than 2170 and increase Tesla’s profit per car.
I’ve not heard it will improve driving performance. 18650 cells are still used in the S/X, Plaid included, makes me think the larger, more profitable cells wouldn’t perform as well in that application.
I would suggest to you that a battery pack (not a cell) of 4680 vs 2170 will be cheaper to manufacture and assemble. The cell itself should be a wash. That's assuming like for like; including amongst is that the presence of solid state/dry electrolyte should be form factor agnostic.