Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cheap acoustic foam sunroof (insulation) project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heat radiation on the noggin, was considerable, threw this cheesy foam panel up in about an hour.
Will do future upgrade, with something denser, but here is link to $29 panel anyway.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0118FMJ72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rushed job, used thin plastic tabs with thin wire, and double stick tape. (wood would work too)
Didn't even use foam tape, just the thin, double stick "carpet tape".
Just twisted wire, so far holding up, really good.
foam.jpg tape.jpg

I like it! I’m looking to make a stiffer, thinner, fabric-covered foam insert I can put up there to block the sun and heat and reflect less noise. Maybe foam glued to foam board or super thin cabinetry plywood, with reflective film on the top and the same fabric as the interior on the bottom. Using my Topfit screen as a pattern. If someone would make that I’d buy it. The Tesla and Topfit screens aren’t sufficient.

Bad design by Tesla to have the bar holding the sun visors blocking our vision, and then a giant, noisy heat radiator right above our heads where we can’t even see it. With no retractable door as in other cars.

I'm mostly interested in dB reading pre-and post using your solution.

I've seen many people talk about how one of the reasons for high cabin noise is due to the large amount of glass in the car. People have reported using the normal sun shades have helped with cutting down sound reverberating off the glass roof and i assume this would improve that effect further.

Reactions: GeertAerts