Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheap DIY Paint Protection Film Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried to apply PPF on the front bumper with it off the car or would it be too difficult getting it immobile on a bench? It seems like it's fairly easy to get the bumper off the car.
I imagine it would be easier if you are trying to wrap around the edges on everything, but unless you have it completely fixed to something, it might be tedious if the bumper moves around..

A bit of both because the shape is odd, especially the rocker panels. I did most of the car except for the trunk and rear bumper, but I will when the weather warms up closer to spring/summer.

I don't know what your comfort level is, but this was not something easy to do. I'm okay at it now and can fix simple mistakes, but it does take a lot of practice. I recommend buying a cheaper film and do a small section before committing.

From what I have read, I think the MS hood dims are 66" x 55" at their respective widest points. I am taking delivery later this week so will confirm once I can measure it myself.

As for my delimma. I am thinking bulk is the cost effective way to go. I am trying to decide which bulk roll to get. I think the best options on ebay are 3M SG Pro (4th Gen) or the SunTek Ultra.

Has anyone done DIY for either, or is one easier then the other to install? I have some minor experience helping a friend but not with either of these products.

So I need 60" x 50 feet. What should that cost? Where can I get it? Which films do I want to use? What is too thick for the Sensors? Brands, wholesalers.

I want to try to do the whole Model Y myself. It seems like one of those challenges that has moments of pulling out your hair, but which will be satisfying and significantly less expensive when done. (I've wall papered, stretched canvas, done feberglass; I've got ADHD and plenty of time.)
I see videos of color changes, matte finishes. In the videos they say you can get super-hydroscopic films.... But online I mostly find only 3M Scotchguard 12" x ? to just do a bumper. or the 48" to do just the hood.
The tips here are very helpful. Much appreciated.

I think you can save a little money by buying bulk in sizes specific to the panel you want to ppf. I don't believe all panels require a 60" width. For example, you can buy 36" width bulk for the doors. When I did my model 3 I bought 12" bulk and cut it to 6" for the pillar above the windows. I bought most of my bulk film from Servoppf. Unless you have a lot of experience, I would recommend paying someone to do the bumpers and you can do the relatively flat panels like the hood, pillars and doors yourself.

I think you can save a little money by buying bulk in sizes specific to the panel you want to ppf. I don't believe all panels require a 60" width. For example, you can buy 36" width bulk for the doors. When I did my model 3 I bought 12" bulk and cut it to 6" for the pillar above the windows. I bought most of my bulk film from Servoppf. Unless you have a lot of experience, I would recommend paying someone to do the bumpers and you can do the relatively flat panels like the hood, pillars and doors yourself.

I purchased my PPF from ServoPPF and they have been excellent. Suntek Ultra. So great I ordered full vehicle coverage for a Model Y. Hope to tackle this in the next few weeks.

You can do the car with a full 60" roll, but it does require some cutting and splitting. If you buy full rolls of different sizes you end up with lots leftover.