Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Cheap" EV runaround... what would you get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any older Korean EVs recommendations, like the Kia e-Niro, Kia Soul EV, or Hunday Ioniq EV?
I had a 2018 Ioniq Electric before my Tesla. Great car but not enough range at 137 miles. it had all the toys and more. Aircon seats. Apple CarPlay, dumb and smart cruise and speed limiter, Lane keep, rear cross alert and so on. There should be some about with the bigger battery giving 170 miles now. Just for popping into town a four mile round trip, I regularly used only 2 miles of battery.
If the Tesla software doesn’t come good, an Ioniq 6 will be my next car!

I think it is important to try and consider overall cost and likelihood / possibility of having no cost effective repair option and having to just scrap the car. The 3rd party repair options that are available for ICE obviously not established for EVs. I have had a few Zoes and currently have a Kona 64kw. The Kona was a steal at £25k with 15 k miles ex demonstrator and a premium model. 300 mile and loads of options.

The Zoe is basic but easy to live with although not very rugged!

Reactions: Toblerone
Just a musing at this point but any interesting insights here may prove useful in the near future as our vehicle needs change.

You have >25k for a used (or new / lease) BEV that will need to do mid-short journeys, and which will always be charged at home overnight. It should be decently reliable, and not soul-crushing to drive or own. Huge boot not required as it's a runaround - bang for buck is key.

The now discontinued BMW i3s 120ah and the new Fiat 500 look tempting to me to fulfil the above "brief".

What do you get and why?

Sister has just gotten the new Fiat 500e last Tuesday - she loves it - had a quick shot in it and it’s nippy enough; apparently 200 miles in it’s normal “range” mode but potentially double if you switch it to “Sherpa” mode (although that does disable AC/Heating/Seat heaters and limits the car to 50mph); it’s got the usual fiat entertainment system which I hate but it supports appleplay and Google.

Definitely just a 2 seater car though - was in the back when she took one for a test drive and their isn’t much space for an adult!

I see a couple of recommendations for the Fiat 500e & we got one in January - fabulous little EV but I certainly wouldn't class it as 'cheap' (has also lost the grant plus an increased list price since then).

It's like they copied Tesla for several things including a very competent and more user friendly 'autopilot' system (standard on La Prima model). Range mode actually gives around 180 miles in summer & Sherpa mode can theoretically increase that to around 200. Around town it is significantly more efficient than our Model 3 LR.

Mini Countryman EV coming for 2023 (presumably orders/deliveries later this year) - same platform as the BMW X1 EV. That’s what my wife is waiting for.
Mine would be happy waiting for the same! But not sure it aligns with my idea of a budget run-around to throw hay bales and horse tack in the back of!

An odd-ball that might suit some buyers (especially if you are VAT registered) is the Zoe van. They are rare as rhs but basically a regular car with no back seat. In fact, since the seat mounts are all there afaik, you could probably clip in the back seat.

Nissan Leaf. bang for buck is pretty up there and if it's recent you can use B mode and get pretty much the same one pedal driving as a Tesla (otherwise it's a bit annoying to switch back and forth).

Have you driven one? The B mode feels like driving through treacle up to about 30mph. It has this weird grabby feeling. It doesn't feel similar to the smooth Tesla experience by a long shot. I love how the Model 3 feels and hated how the 2018-19 LEAF I drove felt with B mode. I'm used to EVs and regen as well, having driven EVs since 2014.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Toblerone
Have you driven one? The B mode feels like driving through treacle up to about 30mph. It has this weird grabby feeling. It doesn't feel similar to the smooth Tesla experience by a long shot. I love how the Model 3 feels and hated how the 2018-19 LEAF I drove felt with B mode. I'm used to EVs and regen as well, having driven EVs since 2014.
Got one sat outside the house. Clearly the acceleration does not feel the same, but the basic principle of stopping the car is similar enough that I don't get surprised when switching from one to another.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that anyone would like how a Leaf feels to drive compared to a Tesla that costs twice as much.