Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheap, mobile energy monitor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for recommendations for a cheap CT @ monitor for use whilst on holiday at the croft in a few weeks time. I don't think the model 3 provides total energy use per charge, does it???

Electricity is included in my rent, however I don't feel it fair that they pay for my car charging too, so instead I'll get their unit costs and pay as I go.

Any suggestions or recommendations welcomed.

Thanks

You can make a pretty good guesstimate simply from how much you've increased the charge level of the car plus a percentage for losses, use of sentry mode/AC etc. It's probably cheaper to err in their favour rather than pay for some measuring device. Or just look at the croft meter (if it has one) and generously pay the whole lot 'cos what you use for cooking and lights etc is likely not much unless it’s so cold you have electric heating on.

Reactions: M3noob and MrBadger
In this screen you have how much was put in.
In this case 26kwh.
Or can install EV.energy.
Screenshot_20210620-140318_evenergy.jpg
20210620_122204.jpg

Reactions: gdallas
You can make a pretty good guesstimate simply from how much you've increased the charge level of the car plus a percentage for losses,

Yep. Or if you don't want to manually log things, if you are running something like TeslaFi (TeslaMate etc), you can get an approximate energy used and added. TeslaFi do a 2 week free trial, or 4 weeks if you look in many of our profiles to get the referral code. It takes 5 minutes to set TeslaFi up, quite a bit longer for TeslaMate.
1624196052570.png

The car does show you, as above. I use teslafi to keep an eye on charging costs when visiting my parents. If you want something more accurate, in terms of what you're actually drawing from the mains, 13A 3 pin plug and inline 16A 'blue plug' energy meters are available.

How are you charging?

Energenie ENER007 Energy Saving Power Meter Socket

16A inline version definitely isn't cheap.

230V 16A Metermaid 1M IP44

Last edited:
Looking for recommendations for a cheap CT @ monitor for use whilst on holiday at the croft in a few weeks time. I don't think the model 3 provides total energy use per charge, does it???
I installed a Wattmeter next to my plug, so I can quickly determine my monthly energy consumption from my electrical bill.

I also made a portable version of this Wattmeter, so I can check the daily consumption of some other appliances,
like a fridge, freezer, electric heater, Air-Conditioning... for various setting levels, in prevision of installing solar panels
and to determine the battery capacity that I would need.
I use the App "Scan My Tesla" to determine how much energy went to the battery after every charge, to estimate the AC to DC conversion losses.

Last edited:
The car does show you, as above. I use teslafi to keep an eye on charging costs when visiting my parents. If you want something more accurate, in terms of what you're actually drawing from the mains, 13A 3 pin plug and inline 16A 'blue plug' energy meters are available.

How are you charging?

Energenie ENER007 Energy Saving Power Meter Socket

16A inline version definitely isn't cheap.

230V 16A Metermaid 1M IP44

Charging with the 3 pin plug so definitely liking your first suggestion. Thanks. 😁