TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cheap Power!!!

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Doug Darby, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Doug Darby

Doug Darby Member

If you are interested I signed up for a 3 month power supply agreement I found on Powertochoose.org from Infinite Energy that provides 1000 kwh for $0.015 per kwh... Catch is you need to use at least 1000 and less than 2000 per month to get the best rate. It fit's my house and charging needs perfectly in the winter.. The first month cost me $4.47 to charge my S85D for a month (996 miles). I have had cheap rates before but nothing this low. And it's that price 24 hours a day...

Just in case anyone is interested.

Only available to those served by a provider other than a coop...

2. Doug Darby

Doug Darby Member

It's actually InFuse Energy not Infinite... Sorry

3. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Note that i's only 1.5 cents at exactly 1,000kWh. It's 11.5 cents for anything below that, and it climbs back up after that. There's a $100 credit issued at 1,000kWh.

I'm getting frustrated by the games being played on powertochoose.org.

4. Doug Darby

Doug Darby Member

I built an excel spreadsheet and use the Energy label to define all the paramaters (like the ones that you noted) and then use my historic average of energy consumed for each month and you can get pretty good a comparing different plans with lots of different discounts, base rates, etc to pick the one that will yield you the lowest cost product. It's best if you have a smart meter and subscribe to smartmeter texas so you can see exactly what you daily, monthly, and 15 minute usage amounts are. That allows you to analyse what is the best day to implement the switch within the 14 day period that allows you to change providers without any penalty. On this plan last month I used exactly 1089 kwh so my actual cost was very close to $0.016 per kwh. If you take the time to read the Energy Fact label you can usually get a pretty good feel for how it will work for you assuming you know how much energy you will need going forward.

5. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I'm rather addicted to using TXU's Free Nights program (9-6), especially in the summer when I can crank the AC way down at night ;)

6. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

+1 It is getting to be a challenge to shop for good rates with all the shenanigans the companies are using (like magic credits) to get higher on the ladder at powertochoose if you hold your mouth just right.

7. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

I got the same deal through Amigo.

Programmed my S to start charging each night at 9:05 PM... ;)

8. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

The other 'trick' they play in Texas is the delivery charge... sure, your electricity might be $0.06/kWh... but 'shipping and handling' is $0.03/kWh...

9. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

The price listed on the powertochoose.org website is the all-in price, with very, very few exceptions.

10. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Yeah, Delivery Charge (TDU Delivery Charge) is going to accelerate my Solar installation plans! Bet they didn't see THAT coming!