Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheapest charging on the go in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously the cheapest charging would be where you are able to find free spots but there aren't many!
Therefore wondering which company offers the cheapest charging rates and couldn't find an easy comparison as I doubt one exists?

Obviously the cheapest charging would be where you are able to find free spots but there aren't many!
Therefore wondering which company offers the cheapest charging rates and couldn't find an easy comparison as I doubt one exists?
Tesla destination chargers are free I believe. The town hall near me is free and a couple of my clients have free chargers for their employees that are hardly ever in use so I'm going to plug in there until I get told otherwise.

Reactions: DaddyCool
All the ChargePlaceScotland chargers in... ermm... Scotland are free. (Subject to registration, and an optional £20 RFID card.)

At the moment, as Adopado says, Dumfries and Galloway charge. But to my knowledge also Dundee City charges today and Aberdeenshire have voted to introduce charging (15p/KWh) but no news as to when it will be implemented. I suspect it won’t be long before other local authorities up here also decide to bring in charges. In my opinion this is no bad thing because a fair few folk (me included sometimes I admit) use the local free chargers to get a good boost rather than charge at home where they pay for their electricity. Provided the cost is reasonable I have no problems with it and it should keep the chargers from being used by locals who could charge at home.

Cheers but not all 7kw Tesco chargers are free and the Lidl which has just opened in Horsham hasn't got the charger installed (although it was on their planning permission!)
Looking mainly south of London

In my opinion this is no bad thing because a fair few folk (me included sometimes I admit) use the local free chargers to get a good boost rather than charge at home where they pay for their electricity.

^This

Hope they also introduce overstay charge too. There’s an Outlander PHEV that hogs a 7kw charger the whole day near where I work when there are 2 granny charge points right next door. He must be charged in 2 hours tops and then blocks it for 6. :mad:

It's not an easy comparison to make, as many of the companies have rates varying with location, mode of payment etc. It's also not very relevant as most of the time the location matters more than the cost - unless you value your time very poorly, it's not worth a big detour (or slower charge) to make a saving on something that's not very expensive in the first place.

However, there's a few that stand out:

Ionity - much the most expensive (69p/kWh), unless you got good rates bundled with a car from one of the owning groups (VW etc).
Instavolt - nice simple pricing, always 35p/kWh (they only do rapid charging)
Podpoint, CYC - pricing set by site owner, so widely variable, sometimes per kWh, sometimes per hour, sometimes free etc. Mix of slow and rapid charging.
BP Chargemaster/Polar - Same prices at all locations, but different pricing depending on payment method and charger type. They are very keen for you to pay them a monthly subscription to get lower rates. Disproportionate surcharge at their ultra-rapid locations. Non-subscription prices range from 18p to 40p/kWh.
Tesla - not quite constant pricing, but UK supercharger locations around 24p/kWh. Destination charging at the discretion of the site owner, usually free but may be limited to paying customers (at hotels etc.).
Geniepoint - 30p/kWh, with £1/session surcharge at rapid units.