Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheapest way to get updated Fascia for older Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think $2.5k is a bit steep for the updated front face you can get now. surprised folks haven't tried some kinda premium vinyl sticker approach where the sticker matches the gloss/paint of the body(I have the midnight grey) to achieve hiding the black nose cone to a decent degree. I think the other hard part is that circular silver lining going around though would still make it look weird unless you could remove/hide the lower half of it too. Anyone have ideas how to achieve a revamped front bumper look on older models 2012-2016 w/out breaking the bank? Was thinking my next project after getting carbon fiber interior trim installed would be the front face update if I could do it at a $1k-1.5k cost. Might not be feasible at my budget though for all the work involved(unless I do the distance myself fully).

Not sure if it's the cheapest but it will be close and will definitely be the best: sell your car and buy one that's refreshed. In the end if you play your cards right you may be out a grand or two but you'll at least have improvements to show for it that aren't simply aesthetic. Also, your car being hacked together will be a tough sell later on. Most people aren't going to want a car that has aftermarket parts that make it look like the newer car. Most in that price range will be fine with the nose cone and would rather have OEM parts with a nosecone rather than some weird underbite that is aftermarket parts. You'll never recover any of that money and you'll probably even lower the price if your car or make it more difficult to sell later. Sell yours for the upper end of what the market will bear (you'll need patience) and find something refresh that's on the lower end of market value and you'll be far happier. Use the opportunity to get the other things you maybe wish you had as well. Different color, different options, etc.

That's my $0.02 worth exactly what you paid for it.

Looks like T Sportsline has the cheapest at $1.7k, close to my range: 2012-2016 Tesla Model S Front Bumper Facelift Refresh , but after paint and a professional installation I would be outside my range for sure haha.

I saw the Tsportline version and it looks.....weird with the huge black T section they used to fix the under bite.

There is a thread that talks about using all OEM parts and making it fit with a custom T (someone custom made it and sells it). I am interested in doing this as well on my P85DL+ just for my own enjoyment.

Attachments

• Tsportline FB.jpg
    Tsportline FB.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 2,198
  • Tsportline.jpg
    Tsportline.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 673
Last edited:
I think $2.5k is a bit steep for the updated front face you can get now. surprised folks haven't tried some kinda premium vinyl sticker approach where the sticker matches the gloss/paint of the body(I have the midnight grey) to achieve hiding the black nose cone to a decent degree. I think the other hard part is that circular silver lining going around though would still make it look weird unless you could remove/hide the lower half of it too. Anyone have ideas how to achieve a revamped front bumper look on older models 2012-2016 w/out breaking the bank? Was thinking my next project after getting carbon fiber interior trim installed would be the front face update if I could do it at a $1k-1.5k cost. Might not be feasible at my budget though for all the work involved(unless I do the distance myself fully).

I spent just under $1500 including the paint of the bumper and side skirts.

I used stock louvres and did not get the lower grill.

Not sure if it's the cheapest but it will be close and will definitely be the best: sell your car and buy one that's refreshed. In the end if you play your cards right you may be out a grand or two but you'll at least have improvements to show for it that aren't simply aesthetic.

Hmm I have about $43k sunk into my 24,700 miles 2015 90D Model S Midnight Silver w the 3rd row seating premium interior and AP1 etc. If I somehow could sell this for more than that, and buy a late 2016 or even 2017 model with sub 40k miles and some solid bells and whistles that would certainly be ideal heh.

The thing about it is, to me at least, is even if you refresh the front bumper using OEM parts, for someone that knows, it's still super easy to tell it's older because of the headlights. Newer lights are LED, and the physical design of it looks better. Performance on the other hand, that's another story...

Reactions: Ostrichsak
I installed a T-Sportline and it looks great! Don't let the naysayers fool ya... I bought mine used from someone that didn't get around to installing it and they in the meantime traded the car for a newer Tesla.

I feel like thats the dream haha, find a used one someone ends up not needing, buy it off them for $750 and then leave 750 for the paint and auto body work with a local buddy.

I may just leave the nose cone though, its not that bad a look imo either.

Reactions: Dsancho
I feel like thats the dream haha, find a used one someone ends up not needing, buy it off them for $750 and then leave 750 for the paint and auto body work with a local buddy.

I may just leave the nose cone though, its not that bad a look imo either.
Cost me a $1000 for the part. Had to pick it up in California so it was a short road trip. $750 paint including hood paint and $700 Expel paint protection.

Reactions: jeremy0916
Cheapest way will be getting the OEM parts used on ebay or at the junkyard. Total cost for the facelift parts with the hood will be around 3k (if you do it yourself) which is better than the aftermarket solution that is alot more.

I researched the forums, eBay, websites selling automotive parts and what I found out is eBay and these used parts sellers are selling many of the parts above what it costs to purchase directly from Tesla.

Tsportline also sells a Gen 1 Model S nose cone "alternative" for $400, which breaks up the "oval" of the OEM nosecone. It is all black with chrome strips. Or, google nose cone wraps and you will see several done in vinyl wrap (or painted) to match the body color. I think it works better with the darker colors, but that's just personal preference. Many options are out there if you don't want to do the full facelift.

The thing about it is, to me at least, is even if you refresh the front bumper using OEM parts, for someone that knows, it's still super easy to tell it's older because of the headlights. Newer lights are LED, and the physical design of it looks better. Performance on the other hand, that's another story...

Yeah the performance is an understatement the newer headlights SUCK.... I love my Bi-Xenon Headlights, my wife has a 2016 with crappy LED's with the stupid eyebrows that burn out every 12 months... you can keep those. My 2014 P85+ smokes her 2016 in both lumens and handling. I view (pun intended) the 2016+ as a downgrade.

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 10.13.28 PM.png

Low beams
On the straightaway, visibility was fair on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.

The low beams created some glare.

High beams
On the straightaway, visibility was good on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.
Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 10.21.32 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911