Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheapest way to get updated Fascia for older Model S?

Xenoilphobe

Jan 2, 2014
Fairfax County, Virginia
Yeah the performance is an understatement the newer headlights SUCK.... I love my Bi-Xenon Headlights, my wife has a 2016 with crappy LED's with the stupid eyebrows that burn out every 12 months... you can keep those. My 2014 P85+ smokes her 2016 in both lumens and handling. I view (pun intended) the 2016+ as a downgrade.

View attachment 571218
Low beams
On the straightaway, visibility was fair on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.

The low beams created some glare.

High beams
On the straightaway, visibility was good on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.
View attachment 571219
Does anyone know if they fixed this issue on the new PLAID S? Trying to decide if I should upgrade before getting my CT.

riles246

Aug 30, 2019
NY State
Getting a front lip for the stock bumper really changes the look of the nosecone.

refresh vs nosecone
That nosecone car has modded headlights though, that makes a big difference. Honestly I think that's the first thing you need to do before doing the bumper- frosting/painting the led strip to look more like the 2016+ and blacking out the internal housing goes a long way to making the nosecone car look fresher.

I like HIDs better than LEDs so the modded nosecone headlights are fantastic, as you get the more current look.

The cool thing is that, if you're brave, it's cheap. If all you do is paint, it's less than $10 in paint plus probably $30 or so for new butyl seals. Or go nuts and spend over $1k to change the projectors and have it done by a pro.

Xenoilphobe

Jan 2, 2014
Fairfax County, Virginia
Looks like I will be getting a new front end, courtesy of my 22 year old daughter, anyone know a good shop in the National Capital Region here in the DC Swamp that has done a Refresh upgrade to a 2014 P85+....

Attachments

• tempImage4GZIGB.png
    tempImage4GZIGB.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 14

krsgio

Nov 8, 2018
Colorado
The cool thing is that, if you're brave, it's cheap. If all you do is paint, it's less than $10 in paint plus probably $30 or so for new butyl seals. Or go nuts and spend over $1k to change the projectors and have it done by a pro.
even retrofitting projectors if you're going to bother opening them up to paint isn't that much more work. the upgraded projectors are around $150 and the adapter to mount them is roughly $70. So for an additional $250 you can have much better headlights than the stock HIDs.

nguyentoogood

Youtuber / Engineer
Mar 2, 2019
Sacramento
That nosecone car has modded headlights though, that makes a big difference. Honestly I think that's the first thing you need to do before doing the bumper- frosting/painting the led strip to look more like the 2016+ and blacking out the internal housing goes a long way to making the nosecone car look fresher.

I like HIDs better than LEDs so the modded nosecone headlights are fantastic, as you get the more current look.

Yeah blacking out your headlights and frosting the drl have a big impact on the overall front of the car.

You can snag the led headlights for cheap on ebay. They are just notorious for their burnt DRL. You would also have to buy the hid emulator which is expensive.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC