Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheapest way to get updated Fascia for older Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you get your car back yet? I’m also looking for someone in the NCR to do the fascia refresh. The first quote I got was for about $3,000 and I’d be without the car for 10-15 days.

I’m going to get a few more quotes before making a decision.

What was included in the $3k price? If that included all the parts and the paint work, I'd say that it's about spot on. I swapped the Tsportline bumper myself and no joke it was probably about 20 hours all-in start to finish including the paint work, and I still have another 2-3 hours of wet sanding and polishing left to do to get rid of my orange peel.

I spent probably about $2k all-in including the paint, so $1k for labor sounds good (probably takes a pro 10ish hours or so). Although I don't understand the 15 days, unless they are painting the bumper after installing it which is weird since it's so much easier to paint off the car.

Did you get your car back yet? I’m also looking for someone in the NCR to do the fascia refresh. The first quote I got was for about $3,000 and I’d be without the car for 10-15 days.

I’m going to get a few more quotes before making a decision.
Not yet, but I also had them do some other cosmetic stuff, they are pulling all brake calipers and repainting them (a couple started to lose the clearcoat after 110K miles), also they are fixing two wheels that have curb rash. Should be this month..., then I can drive down and pick up these.... www.esecarbon.com, placed my order six years ago... looks like they are finally through SAE testing...

Got my car back today, don't ever go to Safford Owings Mills Collision Center (SOMCC) in Maryland. My car was there for over six months, partially due to parts issues with TSportline, which they recommended and claimed they had installed successfully before. I did get some text messages from the tech, who quit and went to work for Tesla. Absolutely no communication from the blue haired "service" lady who expertly swiped my credit card today for the deductible, ($2600 = $1000 deductible + delta of the overpriced TSportline part verses the $500 Tesla bumper cover and nose cone.

The front bumper refresh looks great until you get close to the car and see the fitment. The parking sensors are too long and hit the metal bumper and cause a fitment bulge and the tech wasn't savvy enough to drill a relief hole in the metal bumper to relieve the pressure.

I have a massive 2 inch overbite (four fingers fit all the way in to the 3rd knuckle -- just like -- never mind) right where the headlights, hood and new bumper refresh meet. The tech didn't even adjust the windshield sprayers which spray over the sunroof, now with the new hood.

I also asked them to repaint my calipers and do cosmetic repairs to my wheels. They "forgot" to open a ticket and never did the work. I drove 4 hours round trip from Virginia for SHEETZZZ service. Don't ever take your car there, the icing on the cake was when the tech told me this is normal with aftermarket parts, "you know fitment issues". they recommended TSportline to me!!!, after I provided them a list of the Tesla Refresh parts that I wanted them to use. I should have known they were idiots when they didn't check their supply chain before recommending the TSportline NFBR, which delayed the whole project six months.

The part that pissed me off the most was that they lied to me, when I asked about opening the frunk. They told me the front emergency eyelet tie down access port, now has a wiring loom that is installed to jump the frunk with a 9v battery if the LV battery fails, you know "just like the Model 3" got home popped the cover..... no FREAKING wires installed, which means they have to pull the bumper cover.

Can't wait for the USAA survey, which my wife just forwarded to me. What a cluster f..... now I have to take the car back for them to pull the front bumper off and try to make it fit, add the wiring and adjust the windshield sprayers. I guarantee this will create other issues, based on the what I have seen so far from these guys.... as I was leaving the manage told me they didn't re-apply the 3M XPEL wrap I had on the front end and hood... " you can just call your insurance company and they will pay for this later"... bullsheetttzzz.

@#%#%!GGPGJA((% wasted my time and my money. The best part was I asked the why the frunk was so wet, "we had to clean the leaves and debris out", which means they didn't wrap the damaged front end of the car with protective wrap and left it out exposed to the elements for six months...... IDIOTS....

Between the repair and six months without the car during the GASPLANDEMIC, driving my track car to work (super unleaded, loud, suspension that rattles your teeth and gets about 15 MPG driving 200 Miles from our other home about 30 times.), Plus over $14,628 (repairs for hood, windshield in low speed impact where the Telsa went under the utility truck bumper that was higher than the headlights on the Model S) + $2600 out of pocket + time + gas + hassle in partial work and still have to add in the $1K for Xpel, plus my time, and the hassle of dealing with shysters.... priceless.

Cheapest way to get the new front end... trade it in and get a new one.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Chris Redfield
Got my car back today, don't ever go to Safford Owings Mills Collision Center (SOMCC) in Maryland. My car was there for over six months, partially due to parts issues with TSportline. Did get some text messages from the tech, who quit and went to work for Tesla. Absolutely no communication from the blue haired "service" lady who expertly swiped my credit card for the deductible, ($2600 = $1000 deductible + delta of the overpriced TSportline part verses the $500 Tesla bumper cover and nose cone.

The front bumper refresh looks great until you get close to the car and see the fitment. The parking sensors are too long and cause a fitment bulge and the tech wasn't savvy enough to drill a relief hole in the metal bumper to relieve the pressure.

I have a massive 2 inch overbite (four fingers fit all the way in) right where the headlights, hood and new bumper refresh meet. The tech didn't even adjust the windshield sprayers which spray over the sunroof, now with the new hood.

I also asked them to repaint my calipers and do cosmetic repairs to my wheels. They "forgot" to open a ticket and never did the work. I drove 2 hours up there from Virginia for SHEETZZZ service. Don't ever take your car there, the icing on the cake was when the tech told me this is normal with aftermarket parts, "you know fitment issues". they recommended TSportline to me!!!, after I provided them a list of the Tesla Refresh parts that I wanted them to use. I should have known they were idiots when they didn't check their supply chain before recommending the TSportline NFBR, which delayed the whole project six months.

The part that pissed me off the most was that they lied to me, when I asked about opening the frunk. They told me the front emergency eyelet tie down access port, now has a wiring loom that is installed to jump the frunk with a 9v battery if the LV battery fails, got home popped the cover..... no FREAKING wires installed....

Can't wait for the USAA survey, which my wife just forwarded to me. What a cluster f.....
Sorry to hear about your fitment issues with TSportline bumper... can you post some photos of the overbite area?

Got my car back today, don't ever go to Safford Owings Mills Collision Center (SOMCC) in Maryland. My car was there for over six months, partially due to parts issues with TSportline, which they recommended and claimed they had installed successfully before. I did get some text messages from the tech, who quit and went to work for Tesla. Absolutely no communication from the blue haired "service" lady who expertly swiped my credit card today for the deductible, ($2600 = $1000 deductible + delta of the overpriced TSportline part verses the $500 Tesla bumper cover and nose cone.

The front bumper refresh looks great until you get close to the car and see the fitment. The parking sensors are too long and hit the metal bumper and cause a fitment bulge and the tech wasn't savvy enough to drill a relief hole in the metal bumper to relieve the pressure.

I have a massive 2 inch overbite (four fingers fit all the way in to the 3rd knuckle -- just like -- never mind) right where the headlights, hood and new bumper refresh meet. The tech didn't even adjust the windshield sprayers which spray over the sunroof, now with the new hood.

I also asked them to repaint my calipers and do cosmetic repairs to my wheels. They "forgot" to open a ticket and never did the work. I drove 4 hours round trip from Virginia for SHEETZZZ service. Don't ever take your car there, the icing on the cake was when the tech told me this is normal with aftermarket parts, "you know fitment issues". they recommended TSportline to me!!!, after I provided them a list of the Tesla Refresh parts that I wanted them to use. I should have known they were idiots when they didn't check their supply chain before recommending the TSportline NFBR, which delayed the whole project six months.

The part that pissed me off the most was that they lied to me, when I asked about opening the frunk. They told me the front emergency eyelet tie down access port, now has a wiring loom that is installed to jump the frunk with a 9v battery if the LV battery fails, you know "just like the Model 3" got home popped the cover..... no FREAKING wires installed, which means they have to pull the bumper cover.

Can't wait for the USAA survey, which my wife just forwarded to me. What a cluster f..... now I have to take the car back for them to pull the front bumper off and try to make it fit, add the wiring and adjust the windshield sprayers. I guarantee this will create other issues, based on the what I have seen so far from these guys.... as I was leaving the manage told me they didn't re-apply the 3M XPEL wrap I had on the front end and hood... " you can just call your insurance company and they will pay for this later"... bullsheetttzzz.

@#%#%!GGPGJA((% wasted my time and my money. The best part was I asked the why the frunk was so wet, "we had to clean the leaves and debris out", which means they didn't wrap the damaged front end of the car with protective wrap and left it out exposed to the elements for six months...... IDIOTS....

Between the repair and six months without the car during the GASPLANDEMIC, driving my track car to work (super unleaded, loud, suspension that rattles your teeth and gets about 15 MPG driving 200 Miles from our other home about 30 times.), Plus over $14,628 (repairs for hood, windshield in low speed impact where the Telsa went under the utility truck bumper that was higher than the headlights on the Model S) + $2600 out of pocket + time + gas + hassle in partial work and still have to add in the $1K for Xpel, plus my time, and the hassle of dealing with shysters.... priceless.

Cheapest way to get the new front end... trade it in and get a new one.

Wow, we’re very sorry to hear about this! 😞

Unfortunately, the fitment issues you are experiencing is definitely not normal and is as you mentioned, a result of improper installation by the body shop. The body shop who handled this repair clearly did not prep or install the bumper properly. Our front bumper refresh comes with a full and detailed installation guide to ensure proper sensor placement so that the bumper and sensors fit properly without any issues. We have those pdf'd on the website. We also have a few videos walking through the key install points. The tech really needs to watch these things or at least follow the instructions. In your case, unfortunately the sensors were drilled in the wrong place which is why it's hitting the crash beam. When they are drilled in the proper location, no issues at all. We do not have any fitment issues with our front bumper refresh when installed properly, as we’ve been selling our FBR for years without issue.

Once you find a qualified shop to fix things, please let us know - we are more than happy to get on the phone / Facetime with their technician and carefully walk him through the corrective actions.

Make sure they start with the videos / instructions here: 2012-2016 Tesla Model S Front Bumper Facelift Refresh

Call us, happy to help any way we can 🙏🏻 (310) 880-3256

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Wow, we’re very sorry to hear about this! 😞

Unfortunately, the fitment issues you are experiencing is definitely not normal and is as you mentioned, a result of improper installation by the body shop. The body shop who handled this repair clearly did not prep or install the bumper properly. Our front bumper refresh comes with a full and detailed installation guide to ensure proper sensor placement so that the bumper and sensors fit properly without any issues. We have those pdf'd on the website. We also have a few videos walking through the key install points. The tech really needs to watch these things or at least follow the instructions. In your case, unfortunately the sensors were drilled in the wrong place which is why it's hitting the crash beam. When they are drilled in the proper location, no issues at all. We do not have any fitment issues with our front bumper refresh when installed properly, as we’ve been selling our FBR for years without issue.

Once you find a qualified shop to fix things, please let us know - we are more than happy to get on the phone / Facetime with their technician and carefully walk him through the corrective actions.

Make sure they start with the videos / instructions here: 2012-2016 Tesla Model S Front Bumper Facelift Refresh

Call us, happy to help any way we can 🙏🏻 (310) 880-3256
Quick update, the manager of the bodyshop gave me a call this morning is is working to flatbed my car back up to Owings Mills MD to reinstall and make some fitment corrections.

I know this stuff happens, it looks great at a distance and the quality of the actual bumper cover is really nice, I think this is fixable, they just need to make some fitment adjustments, lets wait and see how this plays out, I'm not upset with the quality of what TSportline provided, just really upset with the poor initial implementation. I did a lot of research on the best shops and I thought these guys were at the top of their game, not sure if COVID is hurting their business, but I didn't hear sugar from these guys since the tech i was working with left (months ago). I knew about the backlog on the part and told them to keep the car until it came it, it seems they rushed to get it out the door.... I will update the post once this is resolved and post pictures of the finished product, once its installed correctly.

I need to figure out how to remove the post above.... once this gets resolved.

BTW very impressed that you addressed this head-on. says a lot about your company and service support here on TMC.... Thank you! I am more optimistic that this will have a good outcome, if SOMCC pulls through with the discussion I had with them today.

All the other work they did looks really good (windshield, hood, painting, etc), for some reason they missed some final fitment issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSportline
Quick update, the manager of the bodyshop gave me a call this morning is is working to flatbed my car back up to Owings Mills MD to reinstall and make some fitment corrections.

I know this stuff happens, it looks great at a distance and the quality of the actual bumper cover is really nice, I think this is fixable, they just need to make some fitment adjustments, lets wait and see how this plays out, I'm not upset with the quality of what TSportline provided, just really upset with the poor initial implementation. I did a lot of research on the best shops and I thought these guys were at the top of their game, not sure if COVID is hurting their business, but I didn't hear sugar from these guys since the tech i was working with left (months ago). I knew about the backlog on the part and told them to keep the car until it came it, it seems they rushed to get it out the door.... I will update the post once this is resolved and post pictures of the finished product, once its installed correctly.

I need to figure out how to remove the post above.... once this gets resolved.

BTW very impressed that you addressed this head-on. says a lot about your company and service support here on TMC.... Thank you! I am more optimistic that this will have a good outcome, if SOMCC pulls through with the discussion I had with them today.

All the other work they did looks really good (windshield, hood, painting, etc), for some reason they missed some final fitment issues.
Keep us updated, we're here to help you get this corrected!

As someone who has personally installed the Tsportline bumped on my own car, I didn't experience the bulging sensor issue at all. I do have a bit of an overbite when viewed at a very specific angle but only the trained eye would notice. I had no fitment issues at all; the only major issue I had is that the glue provided to mount the sensor brackets didn't hold so I ended up removing the sensor brackets altogether and mounting the sensors to the bumper using double-sided body panel tape. Makes no difference.

Agree, sounds like the shop stunk. I am an amateur and it was my first time doing this and it came out great, so I'm flabbergasted that pros did such a bad job. I even painted it myself and the paint is still holding well.

More drama discovered . Tried to rotate the tires today and it looks like the body shop or their subcontractor over torqued the wheel nuts. I tried 250 ft lbs and they aren’t budging. Tried a 24 inch breaker bar no luck. Explains the rust damage to the gorilla nuts on thw tightening edge of the nuts. They must have massively over torqued them when the shop reinstalled the wheels and damaged the newish gorilla nuts. I worked in shop for two years and it is so obvious what they did with a simple visual inspection. I’m taking them to a tire shop and I do a video/ pics with the torque level and damage to the nuts. I suspect the studs will be stripped too. This is a safety issue. I will file a report with MD State Police once I get a shop to assess the damage. Will also let USAA know. Theses nuts are less than a year old had them installed with new tires in Oct.

C888D7C1-633E-4651-A778-2A5B2C141A5D.jpeg

More drama discovered . Tried to rotate the tires today and it looks like the body shop or their subcontractor over torqued the wheel nuts. I tried 250 ft lbs and they aren’t budging. Tried a 24 inch breaker bar no luck. Explains the rust damage to the gorilla nuts on thw tightening edge of the nuts. They must have massively over torqued them when the shop reinstalled the wheels and damaged the newish gorilla nuts. I worked in shop for two years and it is so obvious what they did with a simple visual inspection. I’m taking them to a tire shop and I do a video/ pics with the torque level and damage to the nuts. I suspect the studs will be stripped too. This is a safety issue. I will file a report with MD State Police once I get a shop to assess the damage. Will also let USAA know. Theses nuts are less than a year old had them installed with new tires in Oct.

I don't know that the studs will be stripped, but they could certainly be stretched. Fortunately, you can replace studs very easily. Here's how:

• Informative
Used a 2017 oem bumper from eBay to make it happen…
The nosecone cars had a shorter hood. If you want to truly upgrade the front fascia, you'd need a 2016.5+ hood.
here is mine with an old hood… it can still work and look good, just needs the ‘T’ angled slightly upward ~ 120 degrees.

Attachments

• 237C4A79-2F8F-4770-A84E-F3B4330D16A1.jpeg
    237C4A79-2F8F-4770-A84E-F3B4330D16A1.jpeg
    976.8 KB · Views: 117
The thing about it is, to me at least, is even if you refresh the front bumper using OEM parts, for someone that knows, it's still super easy to tell it's older because of the headlights. Newer lights are LED, and the physical design of it looks better. Performance on the other hand, that's another story...
i wouldn't want to sell my 2014 P85D and lose my free lifetime supercharging and connectivity.

Reactions: zylstra
I almost bought a 2016.5+ bumper on eBay with fog lights for $1600 but ended up buying the T-Sportline and not dealing with all the drama of having to paint which I already had to if I got a used bumper and also paying for the labor to get it to fit. Paid $1900 free shipping with a discount, $260 for both left and right fog lights and $400 for paint and labor. $2560 total and don't regret it.

Before:
IMG_1212.jpg

After:
IMG_1381.jpg

New bumper is also painted to match even better than the stock one, go figure....
All I need now is to enable FOG LIGHTS on MCU2 (and so far I don't think it will be possible, nobody seems to know how...)
Worse case (which I believe it's where I'm at at this point) is to run relay fed with the low beam to turn on fog lights and possibly add a switch somewhere discrete to turn them off if I ever needed to. Or just run them with the parking lights instead of the low beams. Not sure if I have that law here in Florida where I can't have fog lights and high beams on at the same time...

Reactions: riles246
Looks great! I've had my Tsportline bumper for about 18 months and it's great. A couple little annoyances but none that make me regret my purchase at all. The one strange one is that, when I installed it, there was something off in the geometry in the way the fog lights mount to the bumper- I remember them being very tight to screw in on both sides. They look fine from the outside, but after about 6 months the bumper got an impression on both sides where the fog light brackets attach. I'm probably the only one who notices but it was a tad annoying. If I ever have the bumper off I might see if there is any way to relieve the pressure, but I doubt it.

Also, the glue that came with the bumper to hold the sensor brackets on just wasn't strong enough, so I ended up having to ditch the sensor brackets and tape them in place using body panel tape. After 18 months they haven't moved at all, so it's fine.

As far as the headlights- when I first did the swap I was a little embarrassed driving around with the pre-2016 DRLs. But after a couple months I started noticing so many 2016-on Model S's drive by with partially burned out DRLs. There are a lot of Model S's where I live and if I had to guess I'd say that at least 25% of them have at least one section of their DRLs burnt out. After 8 years my OEM DRLs are still running strong. I also love love love HID headlights, so I wasn't rushing to swap to LEDs. At year 7 I replaced the OEM HID bulbs with new HID bulbs (the $200/pair kind, not the $25/pair kind) and they are just so wonderfully bright I just don't care anymore that I have the "old" headlights.