Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheated on Tesla for 10 minutes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please put this comment in the correct section - So while I’m waiting for my M3 order I still look at tons of cars on the road and in parking lots and of course online - I really wish Tesla had a model 2. About $10000 less then M3 and 175” long - would be better for me as a 2nd car -
I was driving by Chevy dealer and drove in to look at Bolt EUV - there were 25 corvettes lined up by front entrance - a young salesperson directed my out the side to a pathetic - dirty / dark blue bolt - that was the demo car - and yes the windshield had large grease pen marking - RECALL /
The seats were ugly and hard as a rock - never took the offered test drive - Sorry Tesla I cheated on you for 10 minutes 😝
FYI the corvettes were very clean. - only the bolt looked like a mess

Honestly this just sounds like the experience I'd expect from a GM Dealership, EV or otherwise

EV market is still young and traditional dealerships don't know what they're doing. In a few years tho, there will be more choices both good and bad.

I agree on the Model 2. I'd love a dual-motor hatchback, maybe about the size of my old Subaru Impreza.

Reactions: alangold
Honestly this just sounds like the experience I'd expect from a GM Dealership, EV or otherwise

EV market is still young and traditional dealerships don't know what they're doing. In a few years tho, there will be more choices both good and bad.

I agree on the Model 2. I'd love a dual-motor hatchback, maybe about the size of my old Subaru Impreza.
Before Tesla, I had the same experience at a Ford Dealership. As soon as I asked about the Mach-e, some of the sales people actually turned around and walked away. I was told they did not have any in stock, so no test drive and that they would not have one to test drive at all, since they were pre-ordered, sorta like Tesla in that regard. One sales person wanted me to test drive a pickup...

Heh.

My wife and I went to a Chevy dealership yesterday to buy a Bolt but it turned out that the cars advertised on the dealer website were spoken for. I was offered an EUV for $4k more that I declined. Nothing like a little bait & switch to welcome me back to American car dealerships.

Then I went home and looked for inventory on cars.com. I found a dealership 50 miles away who asked to be called. That salesperson was actually pretty darn honest. He said they have two 2022 Bolts that have stop-sales on them until the batteries are replaced with a version that GM thinks will not go up in flames. The dealership has been waiting months for the swap so at this point they do not even take a deposit.

At this point I'll be happy with either a Bolt or the Model Y I ordered Nov 1. I originally was gung ho on the Tesla because my wife wanted to take long trips but with that looking less likely due to my ill-temper when cooped up in a car for long periods and my troublesome back, the Tesla looks like more car than we will utilize. I'll buy it if it shows up to either keep or flip depending on whether a Bolt showed up beforehand.

Bolt is a lovely little long range EV, with the 2023 discounts it will become many folks first EV.

On the other hand us spoiled rich people....
Agreed. I had a Bolt for about 18 months. The seats were not an issue for me. Ride was a little choppy at times but the slow (max 55kW, taper at 50%) charge was the killer for me. That and the unreliability (at the time) of the CCS network. But it's a great car for around town and driving withing a 100 mile radius of home. And the recent price reduction certainly helps.

I am so impressed that Tesla had the foresight and the guts to bet on own stores from the beginning. Imagine how hard it must have been to convince investors of this in the early days, when money was scarce. While there were already millions of dealerships around the world.
OP's story is a good reminder of why Tesla made the right decision.

Heh.

My wife and I went to a Chevy dealership yesterday to buy a Bolt but it turned out that the cars advertised on the dealer website were spoken for. I was offered an EUV for $4k more that I declined. Nothing like a little bait & switch to welcome me back to American car dealerships.

Then I went home and looked for inventory on cars.com. I found a dealership 50 miles away who asked to be called. That salesperson was actually pretty darn honest. He said they have two 2022 Bolts that have stop-sales on them until the batteries are replaced with a version that GM thinks will not go up in flames. The dealership has been waiting months for the swap so at this point they do not even take a deposit.

At this point I'll be happy with either a Bolt or the Model Y I ordered Nov 1. I originally was gung ho on the Tesla because my wife wanted to take long trips but with that looking less likely due to my ill-temper when cooped up in a car for long periods and my troublesome back, the Tesla looks like more car than we will utilize. I'll buy it if it shows up to either keep or flip depending on whether a Bolt showed up beforehand.
From what you said Tesla is the right car - your I’ll temper on the trip will be lowered by stopping every few hours to charge - get out of the car etc -
The seats in the bolt are very basic and I thought hard - the Tesla seats are know for comfort and driver lumbar -
One review described Bolt as great teen ages first Ev

Reactions: cusetownusa
Bolt is a lovely little long range EV, with the 2023 discounts it will become many folks first EV.

On the other hand us spoiled rich people....
So yesterday I ordered a Chevy Bolt, a 2022 LT1. The salesman took my $1000 deposit and the price after all incentives and before taxes is about $27,000 not including any potential federal credit that may or may not happen. Given the car market today where it is difficult to get anything below MSRP, $6400 under MSRP for an electric is pretty sweet. Delivery is expected in August. We have a Model Y (May 2021) and tried to get by with just 1 car but it wasn't working out. The Bolt will be a good complement to our Y. The listed range is 259 miles.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Please put this comment in the correct section - So while I’m waiting for my M3 order I still look at tons of cars on the road and in parking lots and of course online - I really wish Tesla had a model 2. About $10000 less then M3 and 175” long - would be better for me as a 2nd car -
I was driving by Chevy dealer and drove in to look at Bolt EUV - there were 25 corvettes lined up by front entrance - a young salesperson directed my out the side to a pathetic - dirty / dark blue bolt - that was the demo car - and yes the windshield had large grease pen marking - RECALL /
The seats were ugly and hard as a rock - never took the offered test drive - Sorry Tesla I cheated on you for 10 minutes 😝
FYI the corvettes were very clean. - only the bolt looked like a mess
As they say- " he is as slimy as a used car salesman".

the windshield had large grease pen marking - RECALL /
This may actually be a positive indicator:
Clearly, there were no new Bolts available for a test drive. There are Bolts being produced albeit slowly. This could mean they fly off the lot, unlike the Corvettes which just sit there for a while.
Maybe GMs shareholders will take note and GM will start making cars people want.
I know a lot of smart people with discriminating taste in cars who love their Bolts. It isn't a Tesla but its a whole lot better than any ICE car.

Corvettes fly off the lots. If they had inventory I'd like to know how much they are charging for the units.
I've never seen a dealership without multiple Corvettes in inventory, ready for sale. If they fly off the lot, Chevy would be selling many millions of them each year (like Camrys) - and we know that isn't the case.