Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlike the folks who bought AP1 cars a few weeks before the AP2 announcement believing it wasn't coming soon or there would be an upgrade path?

AP2 may be behind right now, but Tesla will deliver firmware that will make those cars much better in the future. Be patient. :)

Reactions: wesley888
No it wasn't "promised", and anyone who did even a minimal amount of research before spending $100,000 would have known that Tesla products (both cars and firmware updates) are always delayed. Meanwhile, you can enjoy actually driving your EV. I hope that's why you bought the car, not specifically for autopilot. Consider that a bonus feature. It's being a long range EV is what's important.

I got a non-AP car at a deep discount two years ago when AP was first announced. Back then, I assumed AP was active from the start for those who ordered one.

I remember taking my car in for service after a year into my my 36-month lease and hearing AP hadn't been activated yet.

I felt I had made the right decision because I would have been upset making payments on the AP price and not having it for 1/3 of the time I'd own the car.

• Informative
Reactions: beths11
When AP2 is fully functional in 3-6 months you'll be even more happy with your Tesla and forget about the current issues. No vehicle I have ever purchased becomes faster, safer, and more capable the longer I own it. We all have to realize Tesla is in its infancy and mistakes were made, but we still drive the the most advanced cars ever created. I'll take the short term issues as they come.

Does anyone else who order a tesla with hw2 feel lied to? The autopilot is disabled, the current release seems to be a beta version which doesn't come close to original autopilot, the automatic wipers don't even work. Parity with original auto pilot was promised mid December. This car is over 100,000 and not working as promised. .
that will come in late Jan, just a slight delay. Be patient.

Does anyone else who order a tesla with hw2 feel lied to? The autopilot is disabled, the current release seems to be a beta version which doesn't come close to original autopilot, the automatic wipers don't even work. Parity with original auto pilot was promised mid December. This car is over 100,000 and not working as promised. .
Welcome to the forum.

I will follow up my last comment by saying it didn't turn me off of Tesla. I actually upgraded to an X 4-weeks ago.

Similarly though, I did (once again) buy last year's inventory model. So, I got another big discount on an 'obsolete' car than only has Autopilot 1. It's still a space ship to me and I'll look forward to AP2 when they discount that because their next cars fly.

Same discussion when people bought AP1. It took awhile for it to be implemented. Does anyone remember? Maybe 6 months?

There were some heated threads. You could have waited and enabled it when it was 100% ready. For that privilege I think you would have paid an extra $1,000?

Oh yeah. I remember. I took delivery December 17, 2014 and didn't get auto-steer (arguably the defining feature of autopilot) until October 15, 2015. For those with AP2, get ready for a very slow rollout. It'll be months before AP2 even reaches parity with AP1.

• Informative
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Sometimes I do, but most of the time I just feel lucky to have received newer hardware resulting in a more future proof car. I intend to drive this car for 5 years or longer though and can imagine that someone with a 2 or 3 year lease might feel cheated.
Also, it's important to realize that I test drove a car that had autosteer. I also ordered a car with autosteer. And now I've got a car that doesn't even have auto wipers yet, but I love it dearly 99% of the time :)

It's a matter of perspective really. Coming from a MS from 2012, My MX is a huge change. Yes although I am dying to try AP2, I'm still in awe at the huge screen, self presenting doors and FWD. My old MS had basic cruise control so in terms of driving upgrades nothing has changed for me. But as @commasign and @bcampbelllds mentioned original AP1 users had to wait 10 months. We are getting rudimentary functionality in 2. And it will only get better! Ask the AP1 users :)
Hang in there! Enjoy driving arguably the best EV out there :)
Lease holders I see getting ticked if it takes over 6 months for a full rollout .....
Cheers

Reactions: ABC2D
Don't dissect me for the criticism below - I love Tesla as the next guy, but I'm not a fanboy and think that Tesla clearly need to improve on its communication with customers. I just cant accept the comment below as a viable expectation level.

No it wasn't "promised"

It kind of was, even now the order page says "Tesla Enhanced Autopilot software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car via on over-the-air update in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval". The widespread notion among fanboys is pointing with all fingers and toes to the word "expected" - well, I think a reasonable interpretation of that statement would be to "expect the autopilot in December to be rolled out to my car". I wouldn't say that this would constitute as a lie because clearly Tesla left itself a way out, but still, it was kind of promised.

and anyone who did even a minimal amount of research before spending $100,000 would have known that Tesla products (both cars and firmware updates) are always delayed

This is such a weak argument. A reasonable research would include reading the provided information from the manufacturer - not some user forums which might or might not have a reliable and accurate information. And really, we now need to research and take in consideration historic delays in production and development? Consider this scenario: you and I make a deal, you pay me money, and I dont deliver, or delivery some but not all of the product. Once you ask me where is your product, would you accept my answer if it was :"anyone who did even a minimal amount of research before spending $100,000 would have known that MasterT products (both cars and firmware updates) are always delayed"???

I hope that's why you bought the car, not specifically for autopilot. Consider that a bonus feature

One could definitely hope, but autopilot is ONE of many FEATURES of Model X and it's definitely not a "bonus" - we paid for it, it's a feature of a car - similar to long range, to LED lights, to FWD, etc. It's definitely not a "bonus"

Car is great... But since I did get a 24 month lease and was hoping to utilize autopilot on very congested Manhattan roads I am a bit disappointed. Believed sales people that told me update will be out soon to fix issues but based on reports it seems parity MAY take some time. But as mentioned by others... I feel happy and fortunate to drive this car. Thanks.

Car is great... But since I did get a 24 month lease and was hoping to utilize autopilot on very congested Manhattan roads I am a bit disappointed. Believed sales people that told me update will be out soon to fix issues but based on reports it seems parity MAY take some time. But as mentioned by others... I feel happy and fortunate to drive this car. Thanks.
I feel your pain bud! I'm in Connecticut and I95 is a PITA sometimes and I am itching to try TACC/AP. With a 24 mos lease I know every passing day is that much less you can enjoy AP!! However after reading the thread on the new firmware... I'm gonna keep trusting my instincts and not rely on AP till it's fully tested and deployed. Manhattan taxis seem have their own neural net that will need a deep blue supercomputer to decode at this point.

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
But still feel lied to if a feature I paid for was promised and not delivered
When I purchased the MX ... my salesman made it clear to me that purchasing EAP did not guarantee a date of release. He even mentioned to me that AP1 drivers waited 10 months. He recommended that I should consider buying it later for the extra 1k if I wanted. Basically what I'm saying is he was totally transparent and I appreciated him being totally honest. I still bought EAP but that's why I do t feel lied to because of the initial transparency and I was fully aware of limitations when I paid the extra $. Especially with all this new tech and features I wish all tesla salespeople were this transparent.