Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I definitely empathize. If you purchased the car, it should turn out OK. If you leased it, I would be upset too!

We ordered our X with AP1, and missed the build date for it by about three days. It was scheduled for production just a few days after the AP2 changes.

It being a lease, and the writing on the wall about build delays and slow rollout, we looked at alternatives to get a car sooner like the one we ordered originally.

Ended up with an inventory X with 40 miles on it and almost identical build, and AP1. Everything "promised" pre-sale works and then some (key fob profiles! Yay!) Dodged a bullet.

In my mind, that stratospheric lease payment would sting if major features like AP, auto wipers, auto headlights, etc, were absent for a significant portion of the lease term!

Reactions: dhanson865
But still feel lied to if a feature I paid for was promised and not delivered
I'm curious where Tesla states that enhanced autopilot is already working.
The website says is will be rollout out in Dec via OTA software update subject to regulatory approval.
So at best it could be argued that they are late.
Not really being "lied to" though - sounds more like a click bait headline

Reactions: EinSV
I dont feel like im being cheated. Im pretty sure everyone that purchase's FSDC and EAP knows that they wont be able to be used their full capacity because they just arent completely ready yet! And its good to know that you have the Hardware so when a update is sent out you know that you have the features that you paid for. Might not have gotten them when you wanted them but your gonna get them just be patient!:)

You know what they say "Patience is Key"

I don't feel cheated at all, and I have two Teslas, one with AP1 and one with AP2.

Do I think Tesla could do a better job of messaging and insuring customers understand what they're buying into? Yes.

Was the information out there if customers did just a little reading or research? Yes.
Actually you are wrong for the subset of us who ordered a car with AP1 and were upgraded to AP2 hardware mid order (with no "optout"), sounded good at the time but now Tesla has my $2500 and I have some ugly AP2 hardware doing nothing, oh and no auto wipers, Blindspot warning, TACC......

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Actually you are wrong for the subset of us who ordered a car with AP1 and were upgraded to AP2 hardware mid order (with no "optout"), sounded good at the time but now Tesla has my $2500 and I have some ugly AP2 hardware doing nothing, oh and no auto wipers, Blindspot warning, TACC......
Wanna swap? I have a fully functional AP1 car.

I'm curious where Tesla states that enhanced autopilot is already working.
The website says is will be rollout out in Dec via OTA software update subject to regulatory approval.
So at best it could be argued that they are late.
Not really being "lied to" though - sounds more like a click bait headline
I believe the "regulatory approval" applies to the "autonomous driving feature" which is separate and distinct from EAP.

Good buys for price vs features vs timing.

1.) Buy AP1 Tesla's at a discount.
2.) Buy AP2 Tesla's now and hold
3.) Lease AP2 Tesla when it is mature.
4.) Buy and hold when next set of dramatic improvements is announced.

Anyone who can enter into one of those four scenarios is blessed and in good shape.

You have little to complain about if you leased. You have nothing to complain about if you bought. Those who took delivery of AP1 cars in October would be glad to trade their cars for yours.

Welcome to Tesla ownership.

When you purchased your Tesla, you had a couple choices. Purchase an older model from stock with the original suite of sensors, fully operational, or purchase a newer model with a completely upgraded complement of sensors, but that they needed to get some fleet miles on them to become operational.

You chose to get the latest sensor complement, and now need to wait until they can become more fully functional.

Nice 3rd world problems we have.

It was not promised. It was not "sort of" promised. People who don't do due diligence before buying a house, or a $100,000 car don't have much leg to stand on. People who let a salesman say anything without checking it out are fairly naive.

But...! You can go on a forum and holler that you have been cheated, and someone will agree with you. Isn't that nice.

Since most everyone that reads these forums knows that Tesla and Elon make statements of desire to do something at a certain time, and that these statements are almost Always late. And likely it is a cause-and-effect that someone will claim it was a promise and want special treatment.

Attention all future buyers of Tesla products: Get it in writing, signed, dated, and notarized. Read the fine print. That's the only way.

Car is great... But since I did get a 24 month lease and was hoping to utilize autopilot on very congested Manhattan roads I am a bit disappointed. Believed sales people that told me update will be out soon to fix issues but based on reports it seems parity MAY take some time. But as mentioned by others... I feel happy and fortunate to drive this car. Thanks.
TACC would be great for rush hour traffic in Manhattan. AP, I'm not sure I would trust 100%.

When you purchased your Tesla, you had a couple choices. Purchase an older model from stock with the original suite of sensors, fully operational, or purchase a newer model with a completely upgraded complement of sensors, but that they needed to get some fleet miles on them to become operational.

You chose to get the latest sensor complement, and now need to wait until they can become more fully functional.

Nice 3rd world problems we have.
I did not have a couple of choices, but I'm okay with what I got.

24 mo. lease? You will be giving back the car before it has a fully functional AP. :( Tesla makes an awesome car but anyone who has paid attention knows they will always run late on their promises. I have AP1 which became obsolete 3 months after purchase, but i'm still a happy camper. I DO NOT use it on Manhattan streets , but that's me. AP is awesome in stop/go traffic but Manhattan is chaos :mad:

Reactions: ABC2D
Tesla almost never hits their deadlines and they are really, really poor at communication. That being said, if you purchased such an expensive item without doing any research then it's really hard to point the finger anywhere other than yourself... Just a smidge of research would have told the OP what the situation was and would have better explained Tesla's attempt to communicate the current limitations...

Jeff

True - although I'd be willing to bet that if you told Tesla you wanted out of the purchase because of the switch they would have refunded your deposit in full.