Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check My Reasoning: Big Highway = Easier Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up my M3 soon.

Am I correct in assuming that driving on the four-lane Highway 5 will be much more relaxing than on the two-lane route through Yuba City?

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 5.49.39 PM.jpg

Thank you.

If you want a zombie like experience of mind-numbing Interstate ride, then I-5 is the way to go.
If you want a road with things to look at, more interesting places to stop, take the side roads. Since you will probably be going slower, then you probably will be getting better range, even with the longer distance.

But do make sure that you have charging capabilities on the route that you take, since 300+ miles isn't something that you want to do in ant Model 3.

Reactions: Sherlo
I personally prefer 3+ lane freeways

That lets me be in the middle lane while the crazy people are in the left lane, and the slow people are in the right lane.

It also means that AP won't drift over anytime a lane merges in or out.

It also won't suddenly dive for some exit that might happen on the left.

The middle lane is the happy lane.

Since it appears that you’re coming from up near the northern coast, possibly near Trinidad, and you’re on your way to pick up a Model 3, further consideration should be taken as to your route due to SuperCharger stops.
This is the best way to calculate how you want to take the drive. Make sure you put in which Model 3 Range you’re getting, and have it do the calculations for you.
A Better Routeplanner
If you’re picking up in the next few days, from Rocklin, let me know when your delivery is, since a few of us local Tesla owners group members help out at the end of quarter with deliveries. It is very, very busy now.

I suppose it all depends on what kind of experience you want....?

Do you want to experience the AP / FSD? then the freeway is probably the better option. If, on the other hand, you want to enjoy the handling and performance of your M3, then I'd opt for the more winding road and drive the car myself.

Congrats on your new car!

Reactions: JimVandegriff