Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check my usage math

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, I found a really nice solar need calculator that includes an offset, cost after incentives, etc....if you know your monthly energy use and/or monthly cost.
Solar Power Calculator | Find Solar
Maybe my numbers were too aggressive (100% offset, round up the usage for worst case month), but this is a bit scary...

Solar Radiance: 3.81 kWh/sq m/day
Avg. Monthly Usage: 1,400 kWh/month
System Size: 15.25 kW
Roof Size: 1524 sq. ft.
Estimated Cost: $106,743.79
Post Incentive Cost: $54,280.65

Mine was even scarier:

Solar Radiance: 5.27 kWh/sq m/day
Avg. Monthly Usage: 2,000 kWh/month
System Size: 15.76 kW
Roof Size: 1575 sq. ft.
Estimated Cost: $110,307.81
Post Incentive Cost: $77,215.46

Mine was even scarier:

Solar Radiance: 5.27 kWh/sq m/day
Avg. Monthly Usage: 2,000 kWh/month
System Size: 15.76 kW
Roof Size: 1575 sq. ft.
Estimated Cost: $110,307.81
Post Incentive Cost: $77,215.46

We've had months over 3000kWh used, avg probably 1700-1800, but with occasional less than 1000. I used 2000 for my 'with Tesla' estimates...still pretty scary numbers. I'd like to go with a 4-5kW system if possible to offset the car plus a little bit extra.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I hate to sound like an oil-loving luddite, but solar technology is still too expensive. When people talk about it being "grid parity," they're talking about on a par with their retail costs, usually in areas that have engaged in some massive social engineering exercises (=California). Evan, commercial wind farms in your part of the country are far more economical than solar. Just sign up for an all-renewables package with your utility -- it will be far more economic both for you and society.

I hate to sound like an oil-loving luddite, but solar technology is still too expensive. When people talk about it being "grid parity," they're talking about on a par with their retail costs, usually in areas that have engaged in some massive social engineering exercises (=California). Evan, commercial wind farms in your part of the country are far more economical than solar. Just sign up for an all-renewables package with your utility -- it will be far more economic both for you and society.
Worth checking into, but, again, we are in a very 'behind the times' state and I don't think any such program exists. I do agree that payback is too long to be considered really economical. I've considered wind here at my home, but I think that's even more expensive and not as reliable here.

This might be off topic so feel free to move this if you think it should be somewhere else but I thought solar made sense if you were willing to accept the 8 year payback period? I currently do exactly what you said (100% wind energy bought from my power company) since I'm leasing my house.

If you DIY you can buy 4.7 kW micro-inverter solar sets from Lowes for less than $13k. You would need a little bit of wiring but this has all your mounting equipment included.

Shop westinghouse solar at Lowes.com: Search Results

I have not used this product, and can not recommend it. But I am looking at putting 1 or 2 sets of this on my roof. I get 30% back from the Feds, and 35% up to $10k (I think) from Georgia. The only problem is that my power rates are about $0.07 per kWh so my payback is looking a bit long. I need to talk with Georgia Power about any incentives they will give me.