Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check out my new door map pocket!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MDR SEA

15 MS 85D, 16 MX 90D, 23 MY, Retired ICE Wrench
Dec 29, 2016
Pac NW
As much as I like, err, love my 85D there are a few things Tesla missed....like interior storage.
"Can I get a witness?"

For months I kept looking at my drivers door panel wondering if there was some empty space within.
So I pulled the panel.
(I actually had to cut a strap to fully remove the panel, dunno the function of that strap.)
I found the space I needed and went to work on a spare door panel.
I like the result of the panel but the inside finish of the pocket is a challenge.
I'm open to any suggestions.
Check out the pix.

Attachments

• DoorPocket (1).jpg
    DoorPocket (1).jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 2,050
  • DoorPocket (2).jpg
    DoorPocket (2).jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 1,591
  • DoorPocket (3).jpg
    DoorPocket (3).jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 1,539
  • DoorPocket (4).jpg
    DoorPocket (4).jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 1,504
  • DoorPocket (5).jpg
    DoorPocket (5).jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 1,500
  • DoorPocket (6).jpg
    DoorPocket (6).jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 1,525
I think I got the size just about right but one could modify it to suit.
I sketched out a an ellipse that followed the border of the space and plunged in with a saber saw.
I wish I had access to more spare panels.
There is felt insulation attached to the panel that doesn't really get in the way but it will be the back side of the pocket.
I cut off some stubs that protruded from the panel to make more room.
I formed some ABS sheet to define the space and used a lot of Gorilla tape to attach.
It could be better - hoping someone out there will.
The window controller unit does get in the way so I may try relocating that later.
I'm satisfied with the results and I'm gonna go after the passenger side as soon as I can source a spare panel.
Does anyone have a spare panel out there?
Let me know.

Sometime people Amazes me on things like this. After spending 100k on a car, i am way to sensitive on doing something like this. Especially if it end up looking ugly or screw up. 100k is about 1/3 a price of a house for the average family these days....lol

True enough. It was with great trepidation that I undertook this project, hence the spare panel.
I like the results so far but it's a work in progress.
I need a better inside finish.
Also I was a mechanic for BWM, MB, Brit Leyland, etc, in a past life and did a lot of field re-engineering.
And at the end of the day, it's just a car.
A very nice and expensive car, but just a car.
Cheers

What my idea would be is rather than cutting the vinyl skin on the surface, just peel it back and cut the plastic behind it. Then you can form the existing vinyl over the newly cut hole for a finished edge. I was then going to 3D print a pocket that mounts on the back side of the panel and cover it in the flocked material that is inside the glove box.

Which begs the question.... if there is space in the door, why doesn't Tesla use it for this purpose? Anyway, I am glad someone engineered a work-around for the MS, I use the door pocket in my MX everyday.

I had heard way back in 2012 when I asked about this that it was Elon who didn't want the cars to end up "cluttered" with people's junk and purposely had the car designed with minimal cabin storage space. (I disagree with this and think the OP's solution looks great). There may be a market for modding door panels on a big scale here!

Reactions: mrElbe
I had heard way back in 2012 when I asked about this that it was Elon who didn't want the cars to end up "cluttered" with people's junk and purposely had the car designed with minimal cabin storage space. (I disagree with this and think the OP's solution looks great). There may be a market for modding door panels on a big scale here!

LOL, not creating a place for junk is somehow going to prevent the car from becoming cluttered with junk? I think that's called circular logic.

Dunno how/why they missed it, but it's small potatoes compared to what they got sooo right.
I've had to field engineer a lot worse in my time.
Here's the template I used for the hole if anyone's interested.
Saber saw with a fine tooth blade worked well.

Attachments

• Tesla Panel Template.pdf
    102.9 KB · Views: 275