Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check out my new door map pocket!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I like, err, love my 85D there are a few things Tesla missed....like interior storage.
"Can I get a witness?"

For months I kept looking at my drivers door panel wondering if there was some empty space within.
So I pulled the panel.
(I actually had to cut a strap to fully remove the panel, dunno the function of that strap.)
I found the space I needed and went to work on a spare door panel.
I like the result of the panel but the inside finish of the pocket is a challenge.
I'm open to any suggestions.
Check out the pix.
Nicely done! I would caution anyone using the plastic edge trim to be careful not to stretch it as you install. I used it on the cowling of my single scull and found out that over time the stretched plastic recovers its original length, becoming a little too short.

• Informative
Reactions: Jimmy 1
I think I got the size just about right but one could modify it to suit.
I sketched out a an ellipse that followed the border of the space and plunged in with a saber saw.
I wish I had access to more spare panels.
There is felt insulation attached to the panel that doesn't really get in the way but it will be the back side of the pocket.
I cut off some stubs that protruded from the panel to make more room.
I formed some ABS sheet to define the space and used a lot of Gorilla tape to attach.
It could be better - hoping someone out there will.
The window controller unit does get in the way so I may try relocating that later.
I'm satisfied with the results and I'm gonna go after the passenger side as soon as I can source a spare panel.
Does anyone have a spare panel out there?
Let me know.
Any interest in 3D printing an actual pocket? My design skills are lacking, but I would be happy to help with getting it fabricated.

As much as I like, err, love my 85D there are a few things Tesla missed....like interior storage.
"Can I get a witness?"

For months I kept looking at my drivers door panel wondering if there was some empty space within.
So I pulled the panel.
(I actually had to cut a strap to fully remove the panel, dunno the function of that strap.)
I found the space I needed and went to work on a spare door panel.
I like the result of the panel but the inside finish of the pocket is a challenge.
I'm open to any suggestions.
Check out the pix.

Well done.
Is it your opinion that, now that you know where everything is inside, it can be done without removing the door panel?
It is not clear to me what the gorilla tape is doing. Have you crafted some sort of pocket?
What are the dimensions of the opening and of the usable space inside?

Well done.
Is it your opinion that, now that you know where everything is inside, it can be done without removing the door panel?
It is not clear to me what the gorilla tape is doing. Have you crafted some sort of pocket?
What are the dimensions of the opening and of the usable space inside?

No, the door panel must be removed.
It's a pretty simple operation once you get used to the clips.
Here's a good video to build your confidence -

In my first rendition I made a box withing the space from sheet ABS and used Gorilla tape to hold everything together - functional but ugly.

In the latest rendition I made an ABS panel to define the front of the pocket and lined the back with a flexible vinyl stair tread.
I had to remove the stock felt insulation and haven't noticed any increased road noise.
The ovoid opening is 10" x 4.5". See the attached pix for the space - note shoe horn and sun glasses case for size..
The bulge in the back is the window control module. I may relocate it for more space.
I strongly advise get a spare door panel.
I'll probably do the same to the passenger door one of these days, but I'm keep eyeing the unused space within the armrest/cup holder....

Good luck and share your progress.
MDR

Attachments

• 20170807_185456_resized.jpg
    20170807_185456_resized.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 313
  • 20170807_185514_resized.jpg
    20170807_185514_resized.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 250
  • 20170807_185528_resized.jpg
    20170807_185528_resized.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 261
For people wanting to make their own pockets, consider attributes of what makes a "good pocket".

It has depth. Don't cut your opening too low down on the panel, you need a raised edge / lip to make a pocket. Otherwise stuff spills out when door is shut.

The opening size limits what you can stuff in it. Consider what you want to put in the pocket, make the opening accommodate that thing. For example, in my Subaru's pockets we keep a zippered CD storage case in the pocket. But it barely fits getting into the pocket because of the geometry of things.. which includes pocket recess depth and pocket opening height.

The cut opening shape should be rounded without corners so the trim material can follow the bends, if you want a continuous piece of trim. If you create one square corner.. the trim can be started/stopped at that corner. Two square corners and you'll need two pieces of trim. But you might get a better looking design with a couple squared corners. Just miter cut the trims at corners where they meet up.

If you live in a rainy area. Some car doors have umbrella storage in them. Which is basically cutting the hole on the trailing side of the panel at the B pillar. A roundish hole that let's you poke an umbrella into the door but only when the door is open. Concealed by the panel facing interior of car - no hole cut there. Maybe you can do a combo of the two ideas - cut two holes and share the same pocketable space. (Cut the umbrella hole higher up so stuff doesn't roll inside the pocket out the umbrella hole, when accelerating. Consider how you'll do water drainage, and where the water goes, if you're stuffing a wet umbrella in there.

Last edited:
For people wanting to make their own pockets, consider attributes of what makes a "good pocket".

It has depth. Don't cut your opening too low down on the panel, you need a raised edge / lip to make a pocket. Otherwise stuff spills out when door is shut.

The opening size limits what you can stuff in it. Consider what you want to put in the pocket, make the opening accommodate that thing. For example, in my Subaru's pockets we keep a zippered CD storage case in the pocket. But it barely fits getting into the pocket because of the geometry of things.. which includes pocket recess depth and pocket opening height.

The cut opening shape should be rounded without corners so the trim material can follow the bends, if you want a continuous piece of trim. If you create one square corner.. the trim can be started/stopped at that corner. Two square corners and you'll need two pieces of trim. But you might get a better looking design with a couple squared corners. Just miter cut the trims at corners where they meet up.

If you live in a rainy area. Some car doors have umbrella storage in them. Which is basically cutting the hole on the trailing side of the panel at the B pillar. A roundish hole that let's you poke an umbrella into the door but only when the door is open. Concealed by the panel facing interior of car - no hole cut there. Maybe you can do a combo of the two ideas - cut two holes and share the same pocketable space. (Cut the umbrella hole higher up so stuff doesn't roll inside the pocket out the umbrella hole, when accelerating. Consider how you'll do water drainage, and where the water goes, if you're stuffing a wet umbrella in there.

Umbrella slot - that's a neat idea as well.
Regarding your earlier question about shape - I was referring to the space defined by the space between the panel and door.
You'll see what I mean when you remove your panel.
Please see my earlier template attachment for the shape of the opening and look at my pix for placement.
When I cut the panel I feared that I placed it too low but it's worked out fine.
Go for it and post your results!