Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check Out the Cybertruck Promo Photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla debuted the Cybertruck Thursday, saying it is designed to have the utility of a truck and the performance of a sports car.

Cybertruck will come in three variants: Single Motor Rear-Wheel Drive, Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive, and Tri Motor All-Wheel Drive.

Vehicle Specs:

Range: 500+ miles0-60 mph acceleration:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Electruck
Excatly, I was trying to describe the truck to a co-worker today and used the same analogy.

As far as radar goes I'll have my nephew who is a deputy sheriff put the radar on it when I put one in the driveway.
Back in the '90s, I ran a company that sold radar jammers. We had a huge amount of fun with those. Interesting customer responses, including from a lead trucker in a convoy that royally ticked off an Oklahoma highway patrolman; the jammer made the entire convoy not readable by the cop's radar gun. By all means, do tell us the result, with the radar gun stationary on a deserted road. Your nephew knows the usual range the gun will pick up the target. The question is: What is the Cybertruck's point of acquisition? Given the shape, I would expect it to travel a few to several seconds farther before the radar sees it.

Super easy with a reflective, angular metal like that - perfect bounce of the laser beam. In a matte wrap, might be near impossible. Only one way to find out.
The metal is highly reflective. The bumper is black. The hood is at an extreme angle, will not reflect lidar back to the lidar gun. That front end seems to be angled like 8-10 degrees downward. I think from a quarter mile or farther, most of that lidar beam will bounce into the pavement. Headlights and license plates are favorite lidar targets. Angle the plate downward around 10 degrees, and the "headlights" of this truck may be way too hard to hit with the narrow lidar beam. Much depends on the front end angle. Tests should be run, but this thing could be a problem for laser.

Struggling to find a plausible reason for for a design which follows neither the existing market or Tesla's own house-style.

In my view, it hews closer to the brutalism architectural school than "design" and deviates from Tesla's careful consideration of all facets [heh] of its products.

Some simple changes would have signalled care for this important vehicle's looks and function: an arc at the apex, larger fenders slightly rounded on the outside, and a polygon or two more in the front to break up the monotony - all working towards better aero too.

As much as I'm intrigued by the implied super-low battery costs and the pickup's capabilities, I feel let down by this Tesla's current incarnation.

Ordered a dual motor truck based on our experience with the Model 3. Look at pics of F-117 and Zumwalt class destroyer. Just sayin’

Attachments

• D3C75658-FF29-4D37-AEC5-227AD37F2195.jpeg
    D3C75658-FF29-4D37-AEC5-227AD37F2195.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 74
  • BF7616F7-DC18-42DB-B9AD-A32F065514D9.jpeg
    BF7616F7-DC18-42DB-B9AD-A32F065514D9.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 68
I don't know if folks here in the US ever saw a Citreon DS back in the 1960s/70s. Folks either loved its looks or hated it.

But its advanced safety features (three point seat belts, collapsible steering wheel, crumple zone etc) helped push the entire auto industry forward making safer cars.

The CyberTruck forces the auto industry and truckers to begin to think way outside the box that ICE trucks have been confined to for over a century.
FYmQ9Lk

Attachments

• citreon ds.jpg
    citreon ds.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I don't know if folks here in the US ever saw a Citreon DS back in the 1960s/70s. Folks either loved its looks or hated it.

But its advanced safety features (three point seat belts, collapsible steering wheel, crumple zone etc) helped push the entire auto industry forward making safer cars.

The CyberTruck forces the auto industry and truckers to begin to think way outside the box that ICE trucks have been confined to for over a century.

The Citroen DS is a French car, produced by Citroën from 1955 to 1976. It had air suspension and many safety features we take for granted today. The CyberTruck is in this very same position in 2019-2020: A gamechanger that will grow on most people.
ZsKuAfU.jpg

I like it. Finally something really far out of the box! Between the quiet and tough body, it should make a great hunting truck. If it proves to have good off road capabilities and the range is at least 400 miles in the real world, I'm going to start lusting after it. Maybe it'll be time to trade in the Dodge 2500 with 35" mud tires.

FYmQ9Lk
In terms of appearance, and it's only my foolish opinion, I despised that thing. Ugh.

Since they showed a render of a tent-like accessory over the "vault," I would assume that the rear seats fold down for sleeping, and plywood hauling.

It's supposed to have a 6.5' bed. And, it's a long truck so I expect that you won't have to fold down your seats to haul plywood. I like the tent option since I sleep in the bed of my dodge in the winter when hunting all the time.

Fugly. Not a fan at all.

Rockbus:

Wall Street agrees with you, as they view this as another Elon non-starter that will appeal to a very narrow market of people who don't need a pickup truck, therefore Ford, GM and Dodge are giving off a big sigh of relief.

To me, it looks like a botched combination of a jacked up DeLorean, and a military personnel carrier with (supposedly) bullet proof, and smash proof windows.

Maybe it will be the vehicle of choice for the people that he sends to Mars.

In my view, it hews closer to the brutalism architectural school than "design" and deviates from Tesla's careful consideration of all facets [heh] of its products.

Some simple changes would have signalled care for this important vehicle's looks and function: an arc at the apex, larger fenders slightly rounded on the outside, and a polygon or two more in the front to break up the monotony - all working towards better aero too.

As much as I'm intrigued by the implied super-low battery costs and the pickup's capabilities, I feel let down by this Tesla's current incarnation.

From what I understand of the material being used for the body it doesn’t do arcs, curves, rounded. Not realistic to drill holes in it to attach other body parts. Design dictated by material.

• Disagree
Reactions: Evoforce