Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check Out the Cybertruck Promo Photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla debuted the Cybertruck Thursday, saying it is designed to have the utility of a truck and the performance of a sports car.

Cybertruck will come in three variants: Single Motor Rear-Wheel Drive, Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive, and Tri Motor All-Wheel Drive.

Vehicle Specs:

Range: 500+ miles0-60 mph acceleration:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Electruck
From what I understand of the material being used for the body it doesn’t do arcs, curves, rounded. Not realistic to drill holes in it to attach other body parts. Design dictated by material.
SS will do bends and curves. It won't easily do compound curves. I mean, seriously, look at most stainless steel appliances and grills. They mostly have some curves but a lot of bends across the whole sheet. It can easily be drilled, welded or brazed upon to affix fasteners. This isn't some mysteriously unknown material, it's commonly used everywhere. You probably have several examples of it within your view.

I believe Elon got enamored with Stainless Steel since they switched the Starship design to that material rather than advanced composites. When it came to the truck he had that in his mind as the most durable, cost-effective material (and he's probably right). The rest of the design sort of falls out of the directive to make the body out of stainless steel. Don't do a lot of complex compound curves. Don't paint it. Save manufacturing complexity by making the panels all stamped out and bent on metal brakes. They can probably produce many, many of those body panels in a fraction of the time that it would take to press normal body panels.

Nobody makes car panels out of stainless steel because they can't be bent into sexy car/truck shapes. If you simply eliminate the requirement of having curves and you're looking to save complexity you end up with a tessellated design like the Cybertruck. Then it's just a matter of having enough balls/foolishness to try to sell a vehicle like that to the public. We'll see in a few years if it was the right move. If it is, then Tesla will be legitimately able to sell more capable, tougher trucks than their competitors at a better price. Then those competitors will start copying the design and then it will become the norm (possibly).

Last edited:
From what I understand of the material being used for the body it doesn’t do arcs, curves, rounded. Not realistic to drill holes in it to attach other body parts. Design dictated by material.

Bending steel in one direction is easy.* But for an arc at the top, Tesla merely needs to cut the sides accordingly and use one of their signature curved one-piece glass parts - which would look vastly nicer and help in the aerodynamics department.

It's also perfectly normal to drill holes in steel and actually one of the advantages of this pickup's chassis - some after-market parts will be extremely easy to install permanently! I love that.

[*] In fact, I'm sitting on a chair consisting of a single piece of judiciously bent steel tube except for the obvious part.

Last edited:
Did not like it at all.
Until today. Happily ordered tri motor
Today. I guess Elon knows what I want before I know what I want...

I know exactly what you mean.

And I bet you will love it. But I predict the lack of effort put into elementary design considerations will grow old in the market because shock and awe does peter out, and then people logically also judge by their perception of care that has been lavished on the product, which begins at the outside.

Of course, the core capabilities and especially the extra-low cost of Tesla's cells will remain, and adjustments can always be made. An arc at the top also perfectly conforms to the company's logo.

Thursday: It's a joke, right?
Friday: Hated it.
Saturday: Oh well.
Sunday: Ordered one.

The degree to which you are shocked by something new is inversely proportional to how much you are going like it in the future.
So much for such a reasonable cost. It will definitely grow on ya.
It's a principle of change and a testimony to creative design.
It also supports form following function. Far better than my Model S and Model X without clothes hangers.
BTW, Function also trumps minimalism.

I remember years ago when the "new" Denver Bronco uniforms came out. I thought they were ugly and I hated them. Now I think they are
one of the best uniforms in the league.

It will grow on ya. And over 150,000 others agree.

Bronco Uniforms.jpg

Hey, in full disclosure, I bought it for my wife (until it grows on me). She thinks it's cute and cool.
Watch, after a couple of days, she'll be driving the X and I'll be motoring in the doorstop.

Well, only if you measure performance by speed. the reality for working trucks is that performance is measured by towing capacity and payload. In this arena the cybertruck is just average if the intention is to best the F150 class, however, it is mediocre for the 250, and not even in the 350 class.

What? The Tesla exceeds every F150 truck on on the market in towing capacity and payload. They may very well launch other bigger trucks later like every other truck manufacturer.

In my view, it hews closer to the brutalism architectural school than "design" and deviates from Tesla's careful consideration of all facets [heh] of its products.

Some simple changes would have signalled care for this important vehicle's looks and function: an arc at the apex, larger fenders slightly rounded on the outside, and a polygon or two more in the front to break up the monotony - all working towards better aero too.

As much as I'm intrigued by the implied super-low battery costs and the pickup's capabilities, I feel let down by this Tesla's current incarnation.

all the curves you want will require a stamping process that is very expensive. This current design means that they eliminate an entire expensive process from the build. Same with paint.

Musk is especially good at generating interest and attracting eyeballs at minimum cost, hence Tesla's no dealers and no advertising policy, a welcome relief from the wasteful multi-million $ ads infesting media by all the other car companies. Remember the Roadster launch into space? Pure genius. The CyberTruck launch is more of that strategy and I have no doubt that the shocking departure from the norm will wear off in time. I also think that the design will be refined and modified before mass production. As for having a more conventional design that would attract F150 drivers, Tesla won't be able to supply that kind of volume for several years so who cares if it has limited appeal? Give it time.

Reactions: navguy12
SS will do bends and curves. It won't easily do compound curves. I mean, seriously, look at most stainless steel appliances and grills. They mostly have some curves but a lot of bends across the whole sheet. It can easily be drilled, welded or brazed upon to affix fasteners. This isn't some mysteriously unknown material, it's commonly used everywhere. You probably have several examples of it within your view.

I believe Elon got enamored with Stainless Steel since they switched the Starship design to that material rather than advanced composites. When it came to the truck he had that in his mind as the most durable, cost-effective material (and he's probably right). The rest of the design sort of falls out of the directive to make the body out of stainless steel. Don't do a lot of complex compound curves. Don't paint it. Save manufacturing complexity by making the panels all stamped out and bent on metal brakes. They can probably produce many, many of those body panels in a fraction of the time that it would take to press normal body panels.

Nobody makes car panels out of stainless steel because they can't be bent into sexy car/truck shapes. If you simply eliminate the requirement of having curves and you're looking to save complexity you end up with a tessellated design like the Cybertruck. Then it's just a matter of having enough balls/foolishness to try to sell a vehicle like that to the public. We'll see in a few years if it was the right move. If it is, then Tesla will be legitimately able to sell more capable, tougher trucks than their competitors at a better price. Then those competitors will start copying the design and then it will become the norm (possibly).

From what I understand this stainless is superhardened and not your typical stainless. If you listen to Jack Rickart on the materials used you’ll understand why others also say this is intended to be flat and angular panels for the body.

Give him a listen:

Bending steel in one direction is easy.* But for an arc at the top, Tesla merely needs to cut the sides accordingly and use one of their signature curved one-piece glass parts - which would look vastly nicer and help in the aerodynamics department.

It's also perfectly normal to drill holes in steel and actually one of the advantages of this pickup's chassis - some after-market parts will be extremely easy to install permanently! I love that.

[*] In fact, I'm sitting on a chair consisting of a single piece of judiciously bent steel tube except for the obvious part.

From what Jack says the SS used is very thick (3mm) and drilling holes sounds like a futile, wasteful attempt. Even mentions trying with lasers. Most of his comments on the body materials are near the beginning of the video. ( he has a very leisurely speaking pace, so listen to it at 1.25 speed).

Last edited:
From what I understand this stainless is superhardened and not your typical stainless. If you listen to Jack Rickart on the materials used you’ll understand why others also say this is intended to be flat and angular panels for the body.

Give him a listen:

From what Jack says the SS used is very thick (3mm) and drilling holes sounds like a futile, wasteful attempt. Even mentions trying with lasers. Most of his comments on the body materials are near the beginning of the video. ( he has a very leisurely speaking pace, so listen to it at 1.25 speed).
Is true then brazing and welding are still options.

Reactions: Electruck
Ordered a dual motor truck based on our experience with the Model 3. Look at pics of F-117 and Zumwalt class destroyer. Just sayin’
Commanding Officer of the USS Zumwalt

Captain James Kirk
he was the first CO, and a really nice guy. Too bad his middle name isn’t Tiberius. But I’m holding out that he will be the first CO of the CVN 80 USS Enterprise.

Well, only if you measure performance by speed. the reality for working trucks is that performance is measured by towing capacity and payload. In this arena the cybertruck is just average if the intention is to best the F150 class, however, it is mediocre for the 250, and not even in the 350 class.

The 250, 350, etc. are super duty and only two door. Totally different market.

This would only go up against a 150 crew and it kind of kicks it's ass.

The F250 and F350 are sold as both 2 door and 4 door vehicles. The 4 door/crew cab F250 is the most common and predates the F150 crew cab by quite a few years. Ford's first crew cab was the F250 and dates back to the 70s. Not necessarily a different market if the Tesla can actually do some work. We will see but I can't envision the Tesla bed working with a 5th wheel trailer hitch or having the same bed utility as the F250/F350. Being rugged enough and having the torque/power are less at question.

Last edited:
If you look around at what is used as work vehicles/trucks in the US, by individuals, small businesses, municipalities, and corporations, the most commonly used and reliable trucks in that size range are the Ford F250, F350, F450, and F550 vehicles, and particularly diesels. The F150 is a light utility vehicle. My first impression, and without having the advantage of reports from actual use, is that the Tesla lies between the F150 and F250. Most trucks in the US are not used as true work trucks. I don't see the Tesla as being built as a true work vehicle but I don't doubt it will outperform the majority of trucks in that size range on the street today. Whatever the case turns out to be it will undoubtedly have many uses.

Last edited:
all the curves you want will require a stamping process that is very expensive. This current design means that they eliminate an entire expensive process from the build. Same with paint.

All you have to do is compare to the Y to understand the cost savings at play from the design choice. The dual motor version of both have a similar range and price, and can seat a very similar number of people (6 vs. 5/7ish). Except in return for giving up the curvy stamped panels of the Y, you get huge payload and towing capacities, a covered 6.5' bed, an exterior that can tolerate some abuse, air suspension, electrical outlets, onboard compressor...

I know exactly what you mean.

And I bet you will love it. But I predict the lack of effort put into elementary design considerations will grow old in the market because shock and awe does peter out, and then people logically also judge by their perception of care that has been lavished on the product, which begins at the outside.

Of course, the core capabilities and especially the extra-low cost of Tesla's cells will remain, and adjustments can always be made. An arc at the top also perfectly conforms to the company's logo.
side note:
Try keying Cybertruck.
Ruins the key.

In 1972 I was working in a textile mill at home in North Carolina. Chaw shoulda seen the ruckus fly when one of them boys parked the first Datsun pickup in the employee parking lot, what the hell is that dang thing.....never seen such a fuss.......I tell you, no self-respecting North Carolina boy would drive one of them little things. A few years later that lot was full of Datsun pickups. Course them boys didn't have long hair in them days neither, you know, like a dang girl, few years later, and to this day, they all do. Why I swaney........