Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check Out the Rivian-Amazon Delivery Van

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Amazon has offered a look at the Rivian-designed van that will electrify its delivery fleet.

In addition to ordering 100,000 vans from Rivian, Amazon is also an investor.

In a blog post, Amazon showed one of three different models customized with Rivian to “enhance the driver experience and optimize safety.”

“When we set out to create our first customized electric delivery vehicle with Rivian, we knew that it needed to far surpass any other delivery vehicle,” Ross Rachey, Director of Amazon’s Global Fleet and Products, said in a release. “We wanted drivers to love using it and customers to feel excited when they saw it driving through their neighborhood and pulling up to their home. We combined Rivian’s technology with our delivery logistics knowledge, and the result is what you see here-the future of last mile delivery.”

According to the release, the van’s features include:

State-of-the-art sensor detection, a suite of highway and traffic assist technology, and a large windshield to enhance driver visibility.Exterior cameras around the vehicle that are linked to a digital display inside the cabin, giving the driver a 360-degree view outside the vehicle.Alexa integration for hands-free access to route information and the latest weather updates.A strengthened door on the driver’s side for additional protection.A “dancefloor” inside the driver’s cabin for easy movement inside the van.Bright tail lights surrounding the rear of the vehicle to easily detect braking.Three levels of shelving with a bulkhead door, which can easily be opened and closed for additional driver protection while on the road.

Rivian is set to start production next year on its all-electric R1T pickup and R1S sport utility vehicle. To date, Rivian has raised nearly $6 billion, including strategic capital from companies like Ford, Amazon, and Cox Automotive in 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any link to more info? I'd love to know how big the battery is and how quickly it can charge. I love my Model S, but I've got to say that Rivian is better aligned to my desires than Tesla right now. I would LOVE to have one of those delivery vans and turn it into an RV!

Delivery vans spend a great amount of time idling while the driver gets out and drops the package off at a customer's front door.

So it makes perfect sense to have electric delivery vehicles, plus they're most likely all wired with telemetry to Amazon so they can provide more precise ETA for customer package deliveries.

Reactions: Fat_daddy78
Delivery vans spend a great amount of time idling while the driver gets out and drops the package off at a customer's front door.

So it makes perfect sense to have electric delivery vehicles, plus they're most likely all wired with telemetry to Amazon so they can provide more precise ETA for customer package deliveries.

Precise ETA? This is Amazon here...they just need a little time to develop [steal] a full self driving capability.

Then it's
"Alexa, drive to next delivery address"
"Alexa, deploy robotic hand truck"
"Alexa, unload cargo"
"Alexa, drop off driver and pick up next driver"

Set Routine, Sun-Sat, 12:00 am-11:59 pm.

I think EVs will take majority market share for delivery vans well before they take over passenger cars. They also have a good 10 square meters of flat area on the roof for solar panels. You could get an extra 10-15kWh/day of solar juice per van, covering the first 10-20 miles of city driving for free.

Seems they already have that. Once they start shipping and get somewhat close, I can look at my order and see that my package is 11 deliveries (approx 25 minutes) away from my house. I think going beyond this with any accuracy is going to be difficult, because of traffic and drop off location factors.