Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check your AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have not needed to use your AC, Check it to see if it will blow cold air. I am located in Scottsdale , AZ and Thursday while doing errands, temp was 84 deg and I needed the air, ??? No matter what I did only warm air.

I was near Scottsdale SC and stopped in to to ask about the settings, thinking maybe the settings were not correct. They checked it and pulled the car logs. Determination was that there was not communication with the chiller. They were kind enough to give me a loaner and would let me know later that day what was needed. They contacted me late that afternoon and said they need to replace the chiller and would have car ready Friday late am.

When I picked up the car, I inquired about the exact problem. Get his, one of the latest firmware releases is incompatible with some of the chillers and need to be replaced. I was a little shocked, as our car S 75D was delivered in Dec 2016.

There was an other owner with same issue at the SC when I was there. So If you live in a cold region and have not needed the AC, you may want to check before warm weather arrives.

I want to give the Scottsdale, SC a big thanks for stepping up and resolving this issue so quickly. I only stopped in because I was driving by their location and expected to make an appointment if service was required

It happened to my wife on her way home yesterday (Model S - delivered in mid-Dec). When she got home we rebooted the main screen and it still didn't work. She called service and was told the first thing to do was to reboot. She said she had already tried that and it didn't work. Service told her that they had seen this issue before and rebooting usually works but it takes a few hours, so check it in the morning. They said to call back if that didn't work as they had the parts necessary to fix and would provide a loaner. This morning it was working fine.

I am in Scottsdale too and got a mid December delivery, same exact problem. Odd part is, it is very intermittent. Some days it's as cold as can be and some days it just blows warm humid air. I hope they get this figured out soon as I have a 20 month old son who is in the car all the time.

Chalk me up as another one that has had AC issues...live in Peoria and purchased an inventory car in late December.

For me, it almost seemed like it was a settings issue. If you put the AC to "ON" but turn off "AUTO", then the AC turn off too? AC as in cold, because the fan still works.

When you say chiller, I'm assuming you're talking about the A/C compressor?

I wonder too, Chiller - Wikipedia says a typical chiller is 15 to 2000 tons (ie not suitable for use in a car, not that it actually weighs that).

I'm assuming someone that is used to using that term is misapplying it here or that based on the description the "chiller" is related to the battery pack coolant loop. Either way it isn't the term I expected to see in this thread.

I'm assuming someone that is used to using that term is misapplying it here or that based on the description the "chiller" is related to the battery pack coolant loop. Either way it isn't the term I expected to see in this thread.
Yeah, I'm thinking the OP meant A/C compressor... though, the car does have what looks to be a plate type heat exchanger that ties the HVAC refrigeration loop into the battery/electronics coolant loop. It's possible that whatever diverts the refrigerant to said heat exchanger could be the problem as well (since diverting the refrigerant causes the cabin A/C to not work worth a damn).

Doesn't it seem odd that Tesla would replace hardware rather than fix the software if indeed it is an incompatibility?
If the A/C worked before the software change, why isn't that a bug fix? Heck of a lot cheaper and easier than hardware replacement.
Seems like there might be more to it...

Reactions: phaduman
I have a 2013 model so it's not exclusive to 2016 models. The following is exactly what they did with my car:

Part Quantity
COMPRESSOR, A/C ELECTRIC (6007380-
00-C)
Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: DCDC Converter - 1st Generation
Replaced DC/DC converter. Verified proper operation after replacement.
Part Quantity
DCDC CONVERTER ASSEMBLY (6009170-
00-J)
Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: Install Acoustic Cover And Bracket
Installed acoustic cover and bracket for a/c compressor. Verified proper operation after
replacement.
Part Quantity
MDL S, COMPRESSOR NVH COVER
(1028988-00-A)
BRKT AC COMP TO AC BRKT (1006079-00-
D)
Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: Receiver Dryer and Desiccant
After replacement of a/c compressor, replaced a/c dryer and desiccant. Verified proper
operation after replacement.
Part Quantity
Desiccant Bag - Subcool Condenser, 37g
(1007717-00-A)
Cap - Receiver and Drier (1007718-00-A) 1
Parts Replaced or Added