Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check your jack points after service!

Do you have damage to your lift points?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Follow up-data point. I like America's Tire (Discount Tire elsewhere). I got tires about 2 years ago, and at that time the guys did use 4 floor jacks, properly positioned. A few days ago I was due for new tires, and went back to my local store. The tech had me pull into a bay with one of their low profile floor mounted 'platform' lifts (they don't seem to use the post type lifts with the swing out adjustable arms). This lift has 2 wide side rails with rubber pads, with ramps at the front and rear ends to drive up and over. Once I drove in (guided by the tire tech), I got out of the car and had a careful look to see if this could be used with hockey pucks (I keep 4 in each S). Turns out that there are 2 problems:

Clearance between the rubber side rail on this kind of lift and the lift points on the S would not allow a puck to slide under (...yes, Jack Mode enabled).
The overall length of the rubber padded side rails on the lift was not long enough to span the distance between the front and rear jack points.

I showed and explained this to the service tech, who clearly had beed lifting Teslas with his lift system (and applying pressure along the side of the pack). I then pulled out my hockey pucks, put them on the metal plates of his 4 floor jacks, and showed him how to identify the jack points (look for the 3 large holes, center up on the middle one). He jacked the car up, did the tires, and we had no problems. All good. No worries.

My local tire shop has one of those wide platform lifts, and I've never had any problems. It lifts the car by both side rails, including the lifting points. It never lifts by the battery itself. Never had any issues, damage, or problems with the battery. I prefer it to four independent floor jacks... the platform lift spreads the same weight/load over a much larger area (rails, not battery) than using 4 hockey pucks on the jack pads.

upload_2017-8-25_23-37-49.png

• Helpful
Reactions: jrad6515
Maybe I was taking the lifting points too literally. As I said, when I checked the distance between the front and rear lifting points, this was longer that the support area of the rubber padding on the side rails. Yes, maybe it's OK to have these lift platform side rails under the yellow zones you show (which AFAIK relate to fire/rescue crews stabilizing a model S on its side).

@HankLloydRight That QuickJack model is way to short to reach the Model S jack points, but see my thread QuickJack to produce Tesla-specific model

wow, that's great!! But I need to check the rail length on my BMW M5 so see if it will work for that too. I need a lift to work for both. Even at 75" length on the regular XL quickjack, I think it will spread the weight across the frame rails enough to not cause any problems.

It's America's Tire in Simi Valley, CA. They are Discount Tire everywhere else.

Curious if they used a lift with blocks or 4 floor jacks?
After reading all this stuff I took my car to America's tire and told them my concern, they looked under the car and assured me it was better to use the lift. Before they lifted the car he had me look and see where it would come in contact and absolutely no issue at all!! I think they thought I was crazy!

I use road delineator reflectors. The fit is perfect and snug across the jack point, I carry one in the Frunk and a Small 5000 lb aluminum floor jack, I can get a tire fixed much faster then ranger depending on where it is and what it is. I use this same method to rotate tires with some help of wood blocks and this one jack. I also carry a torque wrench for those 129ftlbs torque lug nuts as well as for removal.

As far as new tires- I think I will let Tesla handle that. The prices are competitive and they do it when your there for service and they take the responsibility. They also have a feel for how it looks if weights are ill positioned inside the rim.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
After all the discussion, I bought a set of the ones that are for sale here on the S and X forums and on eBay (which are linked on the FB group). Better safe than sorry, I think, if you have to have the car lifted somewhere away from the SC. They fit in the jack point sockets, have magnets to hold them in, and are built well. (And, yes, they are a bit pricy. :D )

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
After all the discussion, I bought a set of the ones that are for sale here on the S and X forums and on eBay (which are linked on the FB group). Better safe than sorry, I think, if you have to have the car lifted somewhere away from the SC. They fit in the jack point sockets, have magnets to hold them in, and are built well. (And, yes, they are a bit pricy. :D )