Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check Your Tire Pressure!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Another forum member just PM'd me about his tire pressures. Seems when he had his TPMS reset done the pressure in all four tires came up ten pounds low. I had the same experience.

I hadn't checked my tires because I knew that Tesla had inflated them properly, and even watched them recheck the pressures after they installed the winter wheels on my car. Unfortunately there's one catch - it's winter! The wheels were installed and checked indoors. My TPMS wasn't working because the tool wasn't available when I picked up my car.

Tire pressures drop when the temperature drops. You need to adjust your tire pressures seasonally, to maintain the same cold inflation level.

If your TPMS hasn't been synchronized with your wheels for whatever reason, please check your pressures! Do this when the car has been sitting outside in seasonal temperatures for a couple of hours.

Tesla recommends 45 psi for the Pirellis, but you can run them as low as 40. A bit lower pressure might provide better traction, while the higher pressure would give you better range.

Good points, Doug. Also, it should be noted that there are differences between TPMS warnings. "Tire Pressure Low" means that the car is getting a read from the sensors and that they're reporting low pressure. "Service TPMS System" or similar means something else (in my case two of the sensors were defective), and likely require reprogramming.

A bit lower pressure might provide better traction

That's a pretty big might there. Winter traction is tricky and 15 minutes later on the same road can make a big difference because conditions can change rapidly. In general lower pressure will put more tread blocks on the ground increasing the traction in deep snow. High pressure will squeegee the water off of the ice or packed snow and give better traction because the tire will be touching the surface rather than just the film of water that is over the ice or packed snow. Most winter driving is over packed snow and ice rather than deep snow unless you drive on a lot of rural roads.

Lowering the TPMS value so that it won't alert isn't the solution I would recommend.

I have a Longacre, but only because the cheap units kept breaking on me.

(The last time one broke on me, the only place open was Walmart. The gauge I bought there was branded "Slime". Seriously!)

LOL!! I bought a SLIME too, a $50~ clip-lead 12v portable compressor. Took it home & tried to inflate a flat tire- would not work, NADA. Returned it for a refund and ordered online (from WalMart !!) a bigger 12v compressor ($85) that *did* work. But the green Slime motif was kinda cute.
--

Are digital gauges more or less accurate than the old standard gauges?

Digital just refers to the readout. It has nothing to do with the accuracy. Digital gauges can be very accurate, but typically you're talking two or three times the price for the same accuracy.

Is there a particularly accurate gauge out there?

Yes, for $1000 plus accessories. Here are two good quality gauges: Model 50406 and model 50404.