Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checked an independent installer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, its either the old "ask to speak to a supervisor" move or go with another installer. It seems strange to me, that someone at Tesla would balk at redoing load calculations. Read through a bunch of these threads and some people have like ten revisions of the entire plan - from the number of panels to the structure of the wiring to the number of powerwalls etc. etc.

This is, in a way, "customer service" but the question is this. Say you go with another installer, who submits the plan you want and gets it approved. Well hold on a second, again, the problem is the magnitude of savings. If another installer can get it approved? Why? They're not bribing someone.

It doesn't matter if its an hour of time arguing with Tesla or an hour of time arguing with the utility. Its still only an hour. I'd be worried (convinced, actually) that I spent an extra ten grand when all I had to do was talk to someone else at Tesla.
I’ve been on the phone with them twice since my last post. I think they just screwed up the load calculation. I’ll call again tomorrow and Monday. However, I fell some urgency because my area is known for power outages—we are out right now—and I’m more concerned with backup than anything else. I can’t really put a generator anywhere I’m comfortable with because of my pool. This is smallish square foot property w/a good sized house in a beach neighborhood.
I really just have to get something moving that will give me close to the power That the house consumes.

Just spoke to Tesla about the estimate and they are now willing to redo it. I've also asked them to update my pricing. I am paying 2.57 / kW and the new pricing is 1.98/kW and that's based on cash and not counting tax / energy credits. Once you count those in I am spending 800 bucks less out of pocket for an 8.05 kW system (hopefully that will grow) than a currently priced 12.24 kW system both with 3 power walls.

I may have to cancel and just start over if I want to use them but I'm giving this guy on the phone right now an A+, even if it doesn't work out, because he is trying to get this updated for both size and the new panel configuration without starting over.

As mentioned in my previous post I was rating the fellow on the phone A+. He has modified my system to the new panel, a larger configuration and much greater pricing without me having to start over. He reviewed the worksheet on energy usage and is working directly with their JCPL relationship manager and they both believe I’ll have no issue with all of the details they collected today. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this works out but nonetheless this guy went above and beyond for an A+.

As mentioned in my previous post I was rating the fellow on the phone A+. He has modified my system to the new panel, a larger configuration and much greater pricing without me having to start over. He reviewed the worksheet on energy usage and is working directly with their JCPL relationship manager and they both believe I’ll have no issue with all of the details they collected today. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this works out but nonetheless this guy went above and beyond for an A+.

It should be that way all the time, especially at the price points these items are, but tesla does have people who care. The issue sometimes is they also have people who dont care that much.

I have been fairly lucky, although the person I had who you get "after" you sign everything who is supposed to coordinate utility paperwork, etc for me was very "disinterested". With that being said, everything I was told would happen, did happen, and I was exceedingly happy with the actual installers for my powerwalls.

Tesla is like the "southwest airlines" of cars and solar. People expect like Emraites, or Japan Airlines type service, but at Southwest pricing, I hate flying Southwest, as its basically a "bus" to me, but still end up flying it short haul to NorCal, so I know what I am getting (or WAS getting, since no flights for me, lol).

Anyway, I am totally rambling now... hope it works out, and I am continuing to follow along hoping for the best for you.

Reactions: Zer0t