Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Checking for updates..."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the past couple of days, the software tab displays "Checking for updates..." Previously it always displayed "Your car software is up to date."

Has anyone else noticed this?

The software was updated to V10 on Sunday (2019.32.11), but I didn't notice the change until Tuesday. I'm not sure if this is new with V10 or if something is stuck on my end.

I noticed this yesterday (I'm still on 32.11) but after being on "Checking for updates" for a few seconds it refreshed to "Your software is up to date". I tried it again by closing the menu and going back to Software and it showed "Checking for updates".. but in the 1-2 minutes I watched it, it never changed to "Your software is up to date" again.

But it seems like it is checking, or at least trying to check. And until it gets a response, it just stays on "Checking"

I came on here to ask the same thing. I noticed it after upgrading to V10, but thought it was checking (unsuccessfully) for updated Navigation Data. Did the steering wheel reboot, and the same with my foot on the brake, but still there.

upload_2019-10-3_10-16-40.png

My car was on 2019.32.11 and I went to the Software screen. It said Checking for Updates... then a few moments later it started downloading 2019.32.11.1 from my WiFi. I left the car in the garage and when the download was complete, I used the app to start the installation. I haven't gone back to the Software screen to see what it says now.

Reactions: KenC
My car was on 2019.32.11 and I went to the Software screen. It said Checking for Updates... then a few moments later it started downloading 2019.32.11.1 from my WiFi. I left the car in the garage and when the download was complete, I used the app to start the installation. I haven't gone back to the Software screen to see what it says now.
Exactly what my car did. It didn't ask if I wanted the update, but it went from "Checking" to downloading. Oddly, it's been working on downloading for about 7 hrs now, and it went from 71% done, to 64% done, just a moment ago. Weird.

Exactly what my car did. It didn't ask if I wanted the update, but it went from "Checking" to downloading. Oddly, it's been working on downloading for about 7 hrs now, and it went from 71% done, to 64% done, just a moment ago. Weird.
Mine had significant pauses at 50% and 98%. Probably between 1 and 3 minutes each. It never went backwards though.

Reactions: KenC
Same issue, just reported in another thread. Along with this I'm getting lots of lag in the UI as well as screen artifacting and freezes. Have rebooted multiple times as well as done a full power down and left it powered off over night. Seeing very spotty service with the browser when over LTE. I wonder if there's an issue with the VPN and the CPU is just getting hammered constantly trying to check for updates. I'm an AP1 MCU1 car, so the browser has been pretty much dead over LTE for the past 6 months. Factory reset might be my next step.

Anyone have any resolution on this issue? I've been stuck on "Checking for updates..." since 2019.32.11.1... which was a few weeks ago. Soft and hard reset does nothing. Not sure if it's normal or if I should get in touch with Tesla.

Anyone have any resolution on this issue? I've been stuck on "Checking for updates..." since 2019.32.11.1... which was a few weeks ago. Soft and hard reset does nothing. Not sure if it's normal or if I should get in touch with Tesla.
Looks like the .12 variants resolved that. You can try sliding the software update option to advanced and do a reboot (hold both scroll wheels down). Wait 24 hours. If that doesn't work, call your nearest service center and have them push the update. I've also had luck submitting a request through the mobile app