Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checking Key Fob Number

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday when I took delivery of my MX, I linked my profile to key fob #1 while having both fobs in my pocket. I don't see a physical way to distinguish between the two key fobs. Is there an easy way to know which one is #1 and which one is #2?

Yesterday when I took delivery of my MX, I linked my profile to key fob #1 while having both fobs in my pocket. I don't see a physical way to distinguish between the two key fobs. Is there an easy way to know which one is #1 and which one is #2?

Delete the linking in the driver profile. Put one far away inside the house out of range. Come back to the car with only 1 fob, go to driver profile, it will offer you to link fob #1 or 2. That is the number of that fob. Link it, go back inside, switch fobs, come back out and it should ask to link the other fob.

When I first got my Model S I was really excited to enable the Key Fob linking feature. I quickly learned that it was very impractical/annoying for my situation.
In my case when my wife and I are in the car are I usually drive. The linking feature does not distinguish between driver and passenger.
So when my wife gets in the car first and her key five is in her purse I’m immediately jammed into the steering wheel.
I wish you could tell which seat you were sitting in but it doesn’t. This future would really only be useful if the two people were never in the car simultaneously.

• Helpful
Reactions: CovertADV
When I first got my Model S I was really excited to enable the Key Fob linking feature. I quickly learned that it was very impractical/annoying for my situation.
In my case when my wife and I are in the car are I usually drive. The linking feature does not distinguish between driver and passenger.
So when my wife gets in the car first and her key five is in her purse I’m immediately jammed into the steering wheel.
I wish you could tell which seat you were sitting in but it doesn’t. This future would really only be useful if the two people were never in the car simultaneously.

Thanks for pointing this out, I’m deleting mine. My wife is 5’1 and I’m 6’3, that will get annoying real quick.

Latest build of model X have now independent Bluetooth controller in each side mirrors like the model 3. People are speculating that this will enable to recognize who is entering the car and on which side to solve those kind of issues. This would also allow for passenger seat setting saved by profile ;)

Maybe in the next update?

Latest build of model X have now independent Bluetooth controller in each side mirrors like the model 3. People are speculating that this will enable to recognize who is entering the car and on which side to solve those kind of issues. This would also allow for passenger seat setting saved by profile ;)

Maybe in the next update?
People are speculating that an update to bring the X hardware on par with the 3 hardware will add features that don't exist in the 3? The suggestion that phone key support is coming to the X seems a lot more viable...

• Funny
Reactions: spectrum
The speculation wishful thinking is about this feature coming to the 3 too.
It would be great in theory, but FTFY. IMO, two sensors wouldn't be enough to judge location (what if someone gets in the rear passenger seat with a fob), especially with other environmental factors undoubtedly coming into play at times. Also, lots of people don't keep their fob on their person, so when your wife throws hers in the console area and yours is in your inside (of the car) pocket, how is it going to handle that? This is awfully complicated just for memory seats, and wouldn't make any sense for starting the car even if it were feasible, because you shouldn't have to hand your fob over to someone in order to let them drive your car with you in it as a passenger.

I'm not certain, but try this: Whoever's gonna drive, wake up the car on approach by clicking any button ONCE. Car then knows which driver profile to use.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum