Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checking Tire Pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buy a compressor. Gas station air sources are unreliable and annoying, as you have found out already.

Have your Tesla SC inspect your tire for damage. It shouldn't lose that much air.

^^^ This. Tire pressures should be checked before driving first thing in the morning. Also you most likely have a nail in your tires.

^^^ This. Tire pressures should be checked before driving first thing in the morning. Also you most likely have a nail in your tires.
That was certainly the diagnosis for me when I went to the service center after the light kept coming on and one of my tires was always a tiny bit low.
Sadly the nail was so close to the side wall that I needed a new tire. Thankfully I'm on 19" so the damage was only about $300.

You should invest in a high quality digital tire pressure gauge with a swivel check and a pressure relief valve. It's worth every penny. I check mine once a week with a high quality digital gauge. I over inflate about 2-3 lbs then back off to the correct pressure to within a tenth of a pound.

The local Hess station has a free air pump. Can't rely on it's gauge, which is why having your own is a must.

I found there to be a pronounced difference in the feel of the suspension between 45 PSI (recommended) and 50 PSI (max sidewall) on my P85 w/ 19" Primacy tires. You wouldn't think 5 PSI would make a big difference, but wow. I inflated to 50 PSI to see if I could gain any range, but instead I ended up feeling every little groove and indentation in the road. Going back down to 45 PSI smoothed out the experience and gave me back my smooth ride.

The recommended pressure on the 19" tires is 45psi for 85kWh pack and 42psi for 60kWh pack due to the difference in weight that the tires need to support.
I found that TPMS is configured to warn at 40psi, so the 60kWh owners do not have too much room until the warning.
I would rather have two different warnings - one to say that the tires are a bit under the optimal pressure, and another to warn when the pressure is dangerously low.

EDIT: Should have read the previous page... someone mentioned that the higher pressure spec could also be tied to the air suspension.

Last edited: