Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checklist for selling model 3 to dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will stop by a local Honda dealer selling them my 2018 model 3. Not that I’m getting a Honda, but they’re one of the dealers honor KBB’s cash trade in value which I found is pretty decent for my car. Is there a checklist for trading in your Tesla to a dealership? I know the usual factory reset, remove car from your Tesla account, anything else? Since the buyer is a dealership, so I have to go through the transfer ownership on Tesla.com?

I will stop by a local Honda dealer selling them my 2018 model 3. Not that I’m getting a Honda, but they’re one of the dealers honor KBB’s cash trade in value which I found is pretty decent for my car. Is there a checklist for trading in your Tesla to a dealership?

Yes.
Show up, but don't get your hopes high.
They will take your car in for an "inspection", where they will discover multiple reasons to lower your asking price. Anything from tires not brand spanking new, to a chip in the paint on the nose, to an "inventory price adjustment".

Wait till you get an actually quote from the dealer, not the "OK, bring it in" quote.
BTDT (past fall).
Drove home after the offer magically went down by $8K (on a perfectly good-as-new Model 3P).

I know the usual factory reset, remove car from your Tesla account, anything else? Since the buyer is a dealership, so I have to go through the transfer ownership on Tesla.com?

If you do consummate the transaction, all you need to worry about are:
1). Collecting the payment in as a Cashier's (not certified!) check.
2). Title transfer paperwork.
3). Factory reset the car.
4). Depending on your state's laws, you either keep the license plates with the car, or remove them and take them with you.

That's about it.

HTH,
a

Reactions: stlgrym3