Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checklist for travel in France - advice appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it’s not really enforced

FWIW the BBC today says "They [Crit'Air vignettes] cost €4.61 (£4) ... by not displaying a sticker or driving a car that is too polluting - could be fined €68 (£59), which rises to €180 (£155) if not paid within 45 days ... Camera-based enforcement is expected to begin next year, and maximum fines will increase to €750 (£646)"

Reactions: lusitano
FWIW the BBC today says "They [Crit'Air vignettes] cost €4.61 (£4) ... by not displaying a sticker or driving a car that is too polluting - could be fined €68 (£59), which rises to €180 (£155) if not paid within 45 days ... Camera-based enforcement is expected to begin next year, and maximum fines will increase to €750 (£646)"

Keyword being « could ».
There’s quite a gap between what the French announce and what they actually do.
As for camera based enforcement, I’ll believe it when I’ll see it. There isn’t a viable technical solution that would allow this to happen. This is basically scaremongering.

And again, in France, unless you get fined on the spot, fines don’t cross the Channel.

Even if I sometimes overestimate the intellectual capabilities of enforcement agents, when one will actually stop a Tesla on a suspicion of breaching CO2 emissions limit, he/she will hold a special place in my leaderboard…

The main focus here is getting the rusty 20y old diesels off the road. We’re already part of the solution. Not to be used for another disguised tourist tax.

Remember: order confirmation actually states that it is ENOUGH to be eligible ..

I left my letter sticker at home (forgot ...) :D

QR code I would presume is for manual scanning only

Automated scanning can be done only with ANPR and comparing number with register

Remember: order confirmation actually states that it is ENOUGH to be eligible ..

I left my letter sticker at home (forgot ...) :D

QR code I would presume is for manual scanning only

Automated scanning can be done only with ANPR and comparing number with register
Exactly. Hence proving that the sticker is useless. They could maintain an ANPR register for free and save on printing and posting those ridiculous round things. It’s just a disguised tax, pocketing a couple €€ per vehicle.

An interesting side-effect of getting the CritAir sticker is that it is also valid in Spain. Spain has also introduced low-emissions zones where you need a sticker and entering certain areas require stickers of different values. However, the Spanish DfT won’t issue their own stickers to foreign cars. The good news is they do accept foreign stickers that use a similar system, which includes the French CritAir sticker. So my UK car has a French CritAir sticker that I can use in Spain. Aren’t we one big, global happy family?

Hmm, I have a feeling I’ve posted something like this, already…

By the way, if you ever feel the urge to plug-in whilst visiting the French Alps, you should know there’s a supercharger hidden right next to this nice little village.
1691914919624.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Ozboz7 and Doudeau
By the way, if you ever feel the urge to plug-in whilst visiting the French Alps, you should know there’s a supercharger hidden right next to this nice little village.
View attachment 964452

Just do not forget pull out in time once charge is complete

Hi All,

I'm in France, motorway here, its like knife on butter...quick question due to being late at le shuttle I had to drive during the night for a few hours, and French cars kept flashing their high beams at me, dangerously specially on their national roads, anyway I can adjust my beams, just in case I drive during night again. Thanks

Hi All,

I'm in France, motorway here, its like knife on butter...quick question due to being late at le shuttle I had to drive during the night for a few hours, and French cars kept flashing their high beams at me, dangerously specially on their national roads, anyway I can adjust my beams, just in case I drive during night again. Thanks
Yes, when on a flat surface you can go into Service > Adjust Headlights. But the main thing is the beams are no longer flat on newer models (matrix) as they used to do, and slightly angled left, hence why you are probably dazzling oncoming traffic. Would be a shame to put a sticker deflector just like on older cars but it seems to be the only proper solution for now.
Annoying as a software update could correct this and autodetect the country you're in and adjust the headlights in consequence... but not a priority for Elon I guess...

Reactions: djtaylor
As I got on to Le Shuttle on Saturday, guy (Guard??) asked me not to do any software updates on the train, as supposedly some idiot had done one recently and blocked the train for 2 hours!
I can understand how this can happen.

Touring around Europe, car was connected to my phone hotspot as my kids wanted to access the internet on the journey.

Car downloaded 20.7 whilst I was driving. Next time I parked I paid little attention to the schedule install modal on the MCU and just dismissed it. Woke up the next morning in the Baltic Sea on a ferry about to arrive in Poland with a notification saying the update was successful.

Then whilst crossing the English channel yesterday by ferry, after previously downloading the latest offering using above circumstance, was asked if I wanted to install just as I parked on deck.This time I paid attention and changed the scheduled time to much later in the day.

Probably had sufficient time to complete from Dunkirk to Dover but not worth the slight risk.

Reactions: SteelmanMFC
Just came back and completed 2000 miles in France / Italy for less than 70 quid overall 😀

This is the best summary on why Tesla road trips are better!.
At over 2 euro/litre of petrol , a nice £600 savings! (With quite a bit of free granny charging)
I just finished a 1920 mile trip around France in a Motorhome with an average mpg of 21.... that cost ~£650.... I think that you may need to revaluate your saving calculation :) I would guess closer to £250 - still significant though!

Also, is this what you mean by granny charging? ;)

6a00e0099229e8883302942f9b4dac200c-800wi.gif

Sorry, a pet peeve for me with the strange renaming of a primary charging method for many people! I would expect that almost no one has ever actually used it at their granny's to charge the car!