Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checklist for Used Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone - I ordered a used 2017 MX 100D from Tesla. It's arriving soon and I'm curious if a delivery checklist exists for used vehicles? I understand that the car is effectively as-is and cosmetic issues will not be repaired; however, should I be checking warranty-covered items prior to taking the car given there's no 7 day return or anything. Thank you.

The biggest issue I had was the umc they gave me. Make sure they show you that it functions before you leave. It should blink green if it’s working properly. Mine was blinking orange which I didn’t know wasn’t normal. Make sure it comes with all the appropriate adapters especially 14-50 nema

make sure they give you two keys

other than that make sure they print out everything you expect the car to have such as fsd or free super charging or whatever

and then a hard printout of the exact terms of warranty. This is extremely vague esp the battery and drive unit aspect.

check for the tow panel exists. Mine didn’t have it and I didn’t know to look for it. Thankfully after much pushing my service advisor in Torrance hooked me up but otherwise would’ve been an additional $100. And make sure towing capability is enabled in the software If yours is equipped.

check tire health. My tires were thoroughly SHOT and I didn’t push hard enough at delivery so had a lot of back and forth to finally get them to replace it. Mine were bald on the inside only so they were hard to spot. And cracking!

Steering groaning. Mine still groans and squeaks really loud when at a stop and turning the wheel. They still insist this is normal but afaictl I haven’t seen others with this issue. So if you at least spot it when you receive it you’ll have a lot better luck getting them to fix it.

body panels that weren’t aligned correctly or trims that out of place. Mine had a rear right fender trim that was popped out and even if pressed in would pop back out.

Tesla used car purchase is a REALLY strict process. if you dont catch it at delivery, you're gonna have a helluva battle to get it back.

Last edited:
Appreciate the response! The vehicle does have the towing package upgrade, but the VIN option says "No Accessory Hitch". Does that mean it won't come with one?

If there are issues with the body panels or misaligned, will they challenge that? Seems to be common with a lot of Teslas from what I read.

Accessory hitch is the 1.25” hitch which doesn’t require software enable . Tow package is the 2” and comes with software feature.
From my experience if it’s something obvious such as a panel completely popped out like in my case they won’t challenge. If it’s misalign yes they will challenge it. They challenge just about everything

Taking delivery in a couple days. Here's a pic of one of the tires - can't tell if it's just dirty or theres excessive wear. FYI car has 49,6xx miles

https://bit.ly/3g7JhWR

All pictures: 2017 Tesla Model X 5YJXCBE27HF043968

Afaictl, it looks good (tires) from the pic. However, it would be best to observe them once you have the delivery , in person.

Love the car, you got all the features I didnt get but wanted. Congrats!

Afaictl, it looks good (tires) from the pic. However, it would be best to observe them once you have the delivery , in person.

Love the car, you got all the features I didnt get but wanted. Congrats!

Appreciate all the info! The more I look at the pictures the more scratches I see lmao. Sorry you didn't get all the features you wanted :( I'm sure it's still an amazing ride!

Reactions: njhtran
I bought a used Model X 2016 90D in August. Here's what I would have done differently:

- The car was clean and in great condition, no issues there.
- The car was maybe a little too clean - there was literally nothing inside the car. Not really knowing better I was about to drive off and the tech who had me sign the papers noticed that there was no UMC charging cable, so grabbed one for me. I only got the basic Nema 5-15 adaptor and I've heard of others also getting other adaptors. I ended up purchasing the adaptor set.
- As a new Tesla owner I ended up running out of charge about 10 miles short of a supercharger and needed to get towed to the charger. (Yes, it happens). It turns out you need a separate hook (a separate metal piece you keep in your car) to screw into the tow eye, we didn't have that, so we had to go to a plan B (it worked out) - so I'd definitely check for this.
- The car was supposed to come with the towing package. It didn't and required a service visit for Tesla to install the necessary components. In both of the towing cases, Tesla made it right but this took a long time and a lot of conversation.

I'm very happy with the purchase and am looking at getting another used Tesla. What I would do then is sit down with the specs of the car and focus primarily on making sure all the necessary components and accessories are accounted for before we schedule pickup - or that Tesla is working on replacing them.

In terms of mechanical or cosmetic issues, the pictures were spot on and the warranty coverage gives piece of mind. I was probably over-focused on digging into those issues while I was doing research when I should have focused on these other points. Agreed with the previous post that one thing you can't tell from pictures is the tires, so play close attention to those when you inspect at pickup.

Reactions: njhtran
Thread bump. Just placed an order for a 2017 X100D with FSD. Rolling the dice the aesthetic (and other) issues are minor. Consider me part of the problem/reason why Tesla continues to sell used vehicles with customer experience a low priority. I looked quite a bit private sell, dealerships, etc, but couldn't find a similar deal. Taking a hit on my trade-in: 2015 Model S 70D w/rear facing seats, Autopilot w/Convenience, Unlimited Supercharging, Premium Data, 72K miles, $24K trade-in value, ouch!

Will report back post-delivery experience. Of note, my "delivery" involves me driving 5 hrs one-way to Atlanta to pick up my car after it's transported from AZ.