TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Chelsea - Bob

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Mitrovic, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Mitrovic

Mitrovic Member

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#2 NigelM, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
    May be connected to the great bricking saga. To be honest though, in all my years in the corporate world I never came across a case of someone being let go for no reason whatsoever. Tesla isn't able to talk about letting someone go and if the person concerned wants to say he doesn't know why he was let go, then too much speculation by us doesn't serve anyone.

3. domenick

domenick Nerd

Having been fired myself with only a curt, "I'm sorry, but it's not working out" sort of explanation (not from Tesla), this sucks in that it would seem to show a complete lack of respect for a person and their contributions.

Without knowing who made the decision, or why, there isn't a lot that can be said about it other than that really sucks and I hope it's not indicative of how Tesla regards its employees.

4. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

As an employer in California, I know that it is always best to let someone go without a "reason". Since California is a "right to work" state an employer can fire an employee at anytime without reason just as an employee can leave at anytime without reason. Any labor lawyer would agree with Tesla's method.

Now we can all speculate as to why Bob was let go, but I'm sure we will never know the real reason. I have had many conversations with Bob over the years when I have brought my car in for service and at many Tesla events. He is a wealth of knowledge and was always willing to talk about all of the ins and outs of the car and of Tesla Motors... which might have been seen as a negative to corporate.

I will miss seeing him when I bring my car in for its third annual service. Hope he continues to work with EV's as it would be a shame for all of that experience to go to waste.

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

OMG. I figured by now he had weathered all the storms and was more or less a permanent fixture.
    All I can think is that he was pegged as a Roadster service expert, and with Roadster sales over perhaps they figure they need new techs for Model S?
    I dunno. Sad.

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

It's a tough and a not-so-rewarding place to work at, no doubt.

Tesla Motors Reviews | Glassdoor

All the same, burning your bridges with a longtime employee is bad and sad even by Silicon Valley standards.

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I think a vast majority of people who take the time to post at Glassdoor are the ones who aren't happy ... I've yet to see a company where all the employees said 'great place to work!'. Take it with a grain of salt.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Just for fun I looked up the ratings for 2 companies I really enjoyed working for and they rated 2.6 and 2.7...kinda shocked me for a second then I saw Bonnie's comment which makes sense.

9. Sousaphil

Sousaphil P2,595

Glassdoor is basically digital blackmail. They build a site where employees can come and post their opinions. As Bonnie mentioned, people don't post to those things when they love their jobs, only when they're fired or have some other bone to pick.

Meanwhile, Glassdoor tries to sell "enhanced profiles" to those companies to make sure they maintain a good, positive presence.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Bummer. Bob always made bringing our car in a most fruitful experience. Hard to think of Tesla without Bob or even Chelsea for that matter.
    I'm sure he will land on his feet since there are so many more electric car makers these days. He probably has a good chunk of stock he got real cheap so that has to be good.

11. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

You can, however, get an idea of what problems a place has. It may be a good place, but all places have problems. Pretty much every negative review said the same thing so you can expect those are likely issues (long hours for example). Given Elon's personal workaholic nature, I wouldn't expect Tesla to be a place that puts much value in work/life balance.

12. bonnie

In any case, I doubt that long hours or anything else found on Glassdoor is behind what has happened to Bob.

13. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Yeah I got the 'no reason' firing from my first job out of college. I burned through all the work that they had in about 14 months, and they let me go 3 months later. They were expanding their factory, and well the engineering was all done about 6 months ahead of time after I got there.

14. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Just a counter point to Glassdoor.com:

Top Workplaces - Tesla

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Had to let someone go this morning, and as much as I wanted to sit and discuss, was advised that it wasn't in the company's best interests.

16. bonnie

The author of the original bricking story, Michael Degusta, is now claiming that Bob Sexton was his primary source of information: Twitter

Sad on so many levels.

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

If that's the case.... I don't know Bob, and although most seemed to like him, I can't blame Tesla for taking this position/action.

18. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

That would be a very good reason to let someone go.

I can even see that the information could have given for very innocent reasons. Bob was in the customer service field and might have been trying to "help" in a bad situation. He couldn't know that the customer would use the helpful information to strongarm his company. But that is just guesswork on my part. I use it to illustrate how a good person can still commit an offense that deserves termination.

19. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

I would be careful giving too much credence to a tweet

20. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Especially from Michael Degusta. Did he even mention that his other key source and the first Roadster in the article is his friend and business partner?