TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Chelsea's opinion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Norbert, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

She's probably just "managing expectations"... ;)

2. artsci

artsci Sponsor

And she's plain wrong on a number of comments. She should know better.

3. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

Didn't her husband get sacked by Tesla for being a mole and talking to the guy who did the bricking story on the Roadster? That's a conflict of interest that could account for her relative negativity specific to Tesla.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

She definitely has reasons not to be impartial so the Wired.com should have put the comments in context or she should have disclosed that (maybe she did).

5. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

That was an ill-intended rumor spread by the guys associated with the bricking story. Retelling it this way just gives credibility to these <chose term here> :cursing:

Chelsea dismissed it immediately. But surely she has emotions on that Tesla Motors company.

6. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Whatever the reasons Chelsea has had a history of taking a negative slant with Tesla.

7. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

I certainly don't mean to spread false rumors. Is it true that her husband used to work for Tesla and no longer does? Even that seems relevant to the (lack of) impartiality of her providing a quote on Tesla in an article like this.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

That is true. I think the circumstances around it aren't totally known though or they're not able to say. Either way, things aren't great between her and Tesla I'd imagine so hardly an impartial person to quote for an article like this without providing the backstory. I'm not saying she isn't a good person to go to about EV issues of course just that regarding Tesla, that backstory should probably be mentioned.

9. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

I agree with what Chelsea says. But it's applicable to EVERY new car! Not only Tesla! How many cars are recalled every year? Many!!!!!!!
    Remember Mercedes electronic problems, remember VW chains breaking, toyota brakes, Ford sending usb-sticks for electronic updates...........
    BUT tesla has two advantages : less parts & remote updates

10. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Yes, I think that was the implicit meaning: To rephrase the situation as if it was rather ordinary. She wants to portray it as a minor event "in the big picture of the industry". (In some rather illogical or backwards-logical way.)

11. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Please don't spread false rumors or jump to conclusions.

Like Bob, I find Chelsea to be a straight shooter and she calls them how she sees them. I wouldn't assume that what she says is anything more than her honest opinion.

12. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Hi Josh,

Yes its true that her husband used to work for Tesla and was fired.

Here's Chelsea's perspective:

Bittersweet Symphony…

Larry

13. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Opinion or not, describing the Model S as an "infant program", is an unnecessarily insulting way of putting it. In my honest opinion.

14. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Some folks are offended too easily, in my honest opinion.

15. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

That explains a lot. I'm sure Chelsea aims to be impartial but after something like that it would be impossible for bitterness not to taint ones thoughts.

16. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

In my mind, Chelsea has a long track record of bashing Tesla and Elon (which by the way starts long before her husband left Tesla) in a way that is quite different from simply having the opinion that 120 miles range and 6 kWh charging are enough for an EV and anything else too expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed.

17. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I know Chelsea, somewhat. I wouldn't construe anything I've heard from her, or read of her as "bashing", but she has some philosophical differences of opinion about how EVs should be implemented. He arguments are not unreasonable and have some pretty solid validity if you take the time to learn the perspective she has on things and the course that she's been on now for what, 2 decades? Tesla's approach to EVs is contradictory to many of the things she's worked for and she has legitimate concerns that the alternate approach could set back wider acceptance of EVs.

I did a blog with her on "What Drives Us" podcast the week after the Super Charger unveiling... I took Tesla's side while she defended her own on the plug and charge issues, it is worth a listen if you're really interested in where she's coming from on this issue.

(Sorry, would link to the podcast, but I'm on a plane and were starting our descent so I'm about to lose wifi)

Evan, Via Tapatalk

18. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I think it isEpisode 114

Evan, Via Tapatalk

19. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

I think you already gave me a link, as we discussed this already a few weeks ago.

And I agree with you (mostly) as far as the objective background is concerned. She has a very specific "course" (roughly a GM EV1 version 2, yet low-cost), and I think that Tesla's approach to EVs is "contradictory", as well. She probably thinks her approach has already withstood the test of time, and perhaps that is also a reason she calls the Model S an "infant program", even though in this context this term has a different meaning.

20. drees

drees Active Member

Please tell me that the list of issues actual Model S customers are encountering would be tolerated if the Model S was produced by any other car company...

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

Never mind the long list of due-bill items many customers are receiving. Face it - as wonderful as the Model S may be in it's current form, it is still very much a work in progress that is still being refined. These types of issues very rarely crop up with mature car companies.

Sometimes the truth hurts.