TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Chevrolet Spark EV

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by graham, Dec 17, 2008.

1. graham

graham Active Member

This does not sound good:

GM Suspends Volt Engine Plant Construction Earth2Tech

2. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

#2 Norbert, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
    GM's First New Battery Electric Car: 2013 Chevrolet Spark EV To Launch In U.S.

3. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#5 vfx, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
    http://gigaom.com/cleantech/gm-to-launch-all-electric-city-car/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=earth2tech

A
    s lame as this announcement is, there is this:
    So if they are too scared to put more than their toes in, once the feel the juice, will they run away (Monkeys style) or will they get up the nerve to jump in?

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

No mention of range. If it stays on track, it'll be launching alongside the Model S, though I doubt it'll steal any thunder. One of GM's hands is saying "hey, don't get stranded with a pure electric, try this!" the other "We've got a pure electric here! woo!"

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

But will they let you use the gas station restroom if you drive up in a Spark? :tongue:

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#8 TEG, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Looks like it intends to (perhaps) be the first vehicle on the market with the new SAE Combo plug:
    sparkJ1772hybrid.JPG
    For J1772 AC charging, & high speed DC...

10. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

11. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Expect to see ads with a two car garage and mom taking the kids to school in the Spark while dad heads off to a meeting 300 miles away in the Volt...

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

13. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Few Sparks: GM's underwhelming electric car program Miami Herald 10/17/11

It's like GM is trying the old slight of hand again. See California, nobody wants our EV, so just ease up on your emission restrictions. However, unlike the EV1, the Leaf and soon, the RAV4 and Model S is going to make them a laughingstock.

14. Ardie

Ardie Member

For those who insist upon bashing GM about their schizophrenic marketing plan to build both the Volt and the Spark, they can also bash just about every other manufacturer with idiotic plans to build not just one single car to fit everybody, but to build *dozens* of car models with *dozens* of options to fit just about anybody. 2-seat, 4-seat, 5-seat, and 8-seat vehicles, with 5, 6 or 8 cylinder engines. Convertibles, sports cars, hatchbacks, sedans, crossovers, SUVs, pickup trucks. Economy or Luxury. Choice of colors, too.

There will always be, for the next few decades, motorists who will need, er, *want* a car that does not require a lag time during recharging / refilling. For those, there is the Volt. For others, there will be the Spark, or its progeny.

If you drive an 18-wheeler, you may need to travel upwards of 1,000 miles a day. I don't see a battery doing that kind of distance anytime soon, nor do I foresee the technology capabile of refilling a battery of that kind of size in less than 20 minutes. So a hybrid that uses some kind of liquid fuel-burning engine to supply the electricity to motivate the vehicle seems like the proper stepping stone until such technology arrives.

The Spark may not be for me either (I think Tesla's Model S is more my style), but I will welcome them to bring it on anyway.

-- Ardie

15. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I don't think the author had a problem with GM bringing out an EV in addition to the Volt. I think the problem is that the Spark is such a totally lame EV!

16. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I don't think it's just about having different options. GM has been pretty hostile to pure EVs with their volt ads, so for them to introduce one, especially one so subpar, is more hypocritical than anything.

17. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#17 stopcrazypp, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
    I think your reaction is a bit off base. I don't think people are criticizing them for the fact they make both an PHEV and a BEV. Otherwise any mainstream automaker deserves criticizing too (they all make ICE cars, some make hybrids, and might make PHEVs and BEVs too).

People are criticizing the way GM chooses to market the PHEV at the expense of the BEV. And there's contention about the type of public policy they push for (for example California AB475 and its effects on plug sharing). I don't think any other manufacturer is doing the same type of marketing (and it seems kind of ironic it is an ad for a plug-in that is the first to focus on negatives of BEVs). There are CEOs (like Audi's) that like to publicly bad mouth BEVs to push other tech (like diesel), but they haven't done actual marketing to this effect. Toyota also has a PHEV they are selling, but their ads focus on the benefits of the PHEV over a gas car and not a PHEV over a BEV.

I just feel sabotaging the BEV movement to sell a PHEV to be especially wrong. I actually don't feel as strongly when a backer of another technology (like diesel, biofuels, natural gas, hydrogen) criticizes BEVs because I expect them to do so anyways. And I'll admit I have a BEV bias (don't feel as strongly when BEVs are marketed at the expense of PHEVs because PHEVs are a subset of ICE cars and when you are criticizing ICE cars as a whole, PHEVs are sometimes included).

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Totally agree. I've had quite enough of GM's marketing BS at this point. Enough so that I'm adding them to my black list. (That makes two. Ford was already on that list for selling me an utterly unreliable pile of... well that's another story.)

19. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

But noone else tries to patent "Range Anxiety" or says your child will die because you won't be able to take him to the hospital.

20. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Actually it is the opposite as you are filling your battery every evening, and always have a full range, or close to it available. Your gas car is limited to when you filled it last. I don't fill my ICE cars until they are less then 1/8 tank, so you may not be able to make that trip depending on when you visited the gas station last!