TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by FredTMC, Jan 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

2. Bill D

Bill D Member

3. FredTMC

• Like x 1
  4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Well, if true this is what we need to see! Companies stepping up with a decent range EV for a good price.

That said, I'll believe it when I can test drive it.

5. FredTMC

LOL. Yeah. I'm thrilled to see GM stepping up. This is great. I was a big follower of the Volt development too.

I can tell you that I don't need to test drive the Bolt because I'd much rather own the Model 3!
    I don't think it'll be in the same class regardless. Model 3 is a premium luxury small car and the Bolt will be the down market offering.

• Like x 1
  6. Bill D

Bill D Member

You beat my post by one minute. I think it's becoming widely accepted that $30K/200 miles will be the sweet spot for EVs. Let's hope Tesla can maintain it's first mover advantage.

7. FredTMC

Lol. Yep. No worries. These two cars won't be in the same class... The Volt isnt "premium" either.

• Like x 1
  8. timf

timf Member

It's good to see some competition for the Model 3. If anything, it will put greater pressure on Tesla to deliver on time rather than delaying it endlessly like the Model X. It does sound like battery supply is going to be a challenge for GM though, and without a facility such as the Gigafactory it will be difficult for GM to build them in the same volumes as Tesla will be able to.

• Like x 1
  9. dennis

dennis P85D

2017 delivery predicted for both cars. Is Mary Barra time faster or slower than Elon Musk time?

10. Bill D

Bill D Member

The $30K price will determine the "premium-ness" of these cars. Several more manufacturers jumping in with $30K/200mi cars will ultimately be good for consumers, infrastructure and the overall acceptance of EVs.

11. bluenation

bluenation Member

wait , 200mi electric only? if true.....

wow.

yep, and double yep. as i and many others have said...this is what elon wanted. (well...minus the hybrid part. but then again, some are saying volt owners drive more electric miles than leaf....so PHEVs will larger EOR are really good, imo).

oh, my fav comment on that endgadget piece:

WixosTrix 2 minutes ago
    And it will be recalled in 2018.

edit: the more i think about it....the more i have think GM is partially BS ing. i mean, how can they achieve that mile/price point? maybe some sneaky definition of what is an 'electric mile'?

12. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

A Sonic based Crossover BEV with 200 mile range is not a direct competitor to Model 3 any more than a Sonic is a direct competitor to the BMW 328i.

Then there is the Supercharger Network.

But it is a major step up from sub 100 mile $30k-$35k BEVs and another step or two toward the electrification of the automobile.

If the Model 3 does nail the $35k base price then the GM BEV will be seeing sizeable discounts on dealer lots.

• Love x 1
  13. vgrinshpun

vgrinshpun Active Member

Come on, guys, it is another compliance car. In a shameless klick bait By WSJ: how car with a maximum projected volume of 20K per year can rival Model 3 that is being planned to be produced in a 25x volume in the same timeframe. I am thrilled that GM is doing this, but implication that this could somehow damage Tesla growth prospects is just wrong.

From WSJ:

14. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

15. bint2k

bint2k Member

And now the battle begins.... Can't wait for things to heat up....

If you are a slave to monthly sales, you will give up your long-term vision of what you think the future will be,” he said. “And we did that [with the EV1]. We had the first electric car. And we didn’t follow it up. Think of where we would be today if we hadn’t done that.

"And I remind people who weren’t in the company or are younger. I say, we are not going to make that mistake again.”

16. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Bring it On

translation: pick amongst -

1) yes, great, the more the merrier
    2) believe it when you see it
    3) Tesla Motors, by then, has a decade-ish lead
    4) General Motors is currently "between bailouts" :smile: Love that one

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

Indeed, I don't see this impacting Tesla's growth prospects. That said, I see it more as GM putting a foot in the water than a compliance car. if GM sees demand, perhaps a couple of years after launch they'll make another substantial move with LG Chem to increase battery supply, so perhaps in the mid 2020s they'll have battery supply online to build volumes similar to what Tesla is focused on making around 2020.

• Like x 1
  18. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I welcome this turn of events. I may consider buying one if it has access to a supercharger network and there's no dealer markup.

19. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

20. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

Except that they did not say there would be any more information on the Bolt monday. They said there would be additional information about the Volt. So far the Bolt is still just a press release, albeit they are adding to their story now, and I hope they can pull it off, but right now its just a bit of FUD to keep Tesla from getting too far out in front, and keep Chevrolet as part of the conversation.