Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is good.

Why?

Because it will put pressure on all the other car-manufacturers to introduce an EV with a 200 miles range for about $30,000.

Though the questions remains if the Chevrolet Bolt really will do 200 miles on a charge.

Looking forward to NAIAS 2015.

- - - Updated - - -

Except that they did not say there would be any more information on the Bolt monday. They said there would be additional information about the Volt. So far the Bolt is still just a press release, albeit they are adding to their story now, and I hope they can pull it off, but right now its just a bit of FUD to keep Tesla from getting too far out in front, and keep Chevrolet as part of the conversation.

I think that it would be weird if they would not give any more information about the Chevrolet Bold at the NAIAS next week. You would expect them to want to tell the world what they are capable of (with regard to their position as being such a large car-manufacturer).

Model 3 is stillborn?

If I were Tesla investor, I would be worried, because this cuts Tesla's growth considerably. Chevrolet is household name, most car buyers have never heard of Tesla.

Tesla's timing is now critical. They must get Model 3 out 2017.

Last edited:
Model 3 is stillborn?

Nope. Model ☰ is very much still in the lead in my mind.

I am a LEAF lessee. Charging infrastructure has a lot to do with the EV experience. Tesla has the fastest charging network and seems like its the one to beat in terms of long distance travel. CHAdeMO is insufficient when traveling with babies. I'm also tired of having to deal with different companies for charging (when not charging at home).

When the topic comes to auto mobility, most in my circle ask me for my opinion since I have the LEAF. So until GM (or any other manufacturers) addresses the issue of charging infrastructure, Tesla will be the #1 pick. The question I ask people in my circle of influence is, "Can it go from LA to NY like Tesla?"

Last edited:
Reactions: UnbeknownstToAll
Model 3 is stillborn?

If I were Tesla investor, I would be worried, because this cuts Tesla's growth considerably. Chevrolet is household name, most car buyers have never heard of Tesla.

It's great free publicity actually. The press will keep comparing it with Tesla Model III; Thank you GM!

First thing that comes to mind - state of the art:
b50843686da2fa00349dad0d5c535dba.jpg

• Funny

This has absolutely zero effect on Tesla. GM will have the battery capacity to produce 60k Volts OR 20k Bolts per year. If GM continues selling ~20k Volts per year that means they will be able to produce only ~13.3k Bolts.

Among people that are actually willing to plunk down $30k plus on a battery electric vehicle Chevrolet goodwill = Blackberry. And Tesla = Apple. Then there is the Supercharger Network vs the Nonexistent CCS American network

The lack of a fast charge network is the real story here. Without a dense network of fast chargers, an EV is still a second car for most people. That said, if GM is willing to invest in a 200 mi EV, maybe they are also willing to invest in a fast charge network.

Not sure why the hate (or at least the dismissive attitude).

Elon's goal was to spark the industry as a whole to move toward sustainable transport. He was then disappointed when they didn't move that way after the Model S introduction. He subsequently invited patent usage to again push the industry.

Chevy may be stepping up. While it may be in a different class, not have the same charging infrastructure, etc... there is room for many different designs/players/options.

This is a major step in the right direction. And it should quell what many nay-sayers have had to say about EV's in general.

This is a welcome move, IMO.

According to this article, GM is working with focus groups on 200 Mile EV rollout. And therein lies one of the major problems with GM. By and large their cars are designed based on focus group research, which is why so many of them end up being garbage. As one distinguished researcher once said, "Focus groups are to research as bumper stickers are to philosphy."

I can't imagine Tesla has ever convened a focus group as it thought about the design of the Model S or the Model X. Companies rely on focus groups when they don't have the courage of their own convictions.

Also there's no way the Bolt pictured in that article will ever be manufactured. It's a 2 door fastback, not a family car. It looks sleek (in a kind of dated way) but it's not appropriate for the target market.

I do hope GM has success with this venture, but they do have a track record of shooting themselves in the foot.

Last edited:
Totally agree :) The more EV's the better...

But the arguments about charging infrastructure is a valid counterargument. If EV's ever is to replace ICE on the road, then a fast and convenient charging infrastructure has to be active, or you end up with still a "city only" car.

I don't expect that this one car is expected to ever "replace ICE on the road" in totality. As I said earlier, it's a big market with lots of segments. This car may address one of them.

I suspect there's a very valid use case for an EV with 200 mile range that will be primarily charged at home. The commuter car for which the Leaf just doesn't have enough range for instance.

Other vehicles will in time satisfy other requirements.

Model 3 is stillborn?

I'm big long TSLA and not the least bit worried. While I welcome (alleged) competition, Tesla has a number of huge strategic and actual advantages:

Supercharger network. What will the charging rate be on this car? A 200 mi EV that charges at 50kW takes more than twice as long as a Supercharger. Big unknown here. Will it even be capable of road trips? If so, GM will need to roll out a nationwide/worldwide fast charging network. We know this takes a lot of time/money for permitting, etc. is GM willing to take that step?

Battery production capacity. A big auto manufacturer will need to develop a huge battery production facility a la the Gigafactory to be able to build significant market share with a product that could even remotely threaten Model 3. No word from GM on this.

Marketing vs. Reality. 200 mile EV. 200 real miles? Charging rate? Performance?

There are so many unanswered questions, and so many huge announcements that would have to come to fruition in such a short time span (huge GM battery factory, huge rollout of very fast charging network, etc.) that I give it little to no chance of happening. But, I hope it does.

And by the way, yes--GM is a household name. But in most households--not in a good way.

• Love
Indeed, I don't see this impacting Tesla's growth prospects. That said, I see it more as GM putting a foot in the water than a compliance car. if GM sees demand, perhaps a couple of years after launch they'll make another substantial move with LG Chem to increase battery supply, so perhaps in the mid 2020s they'll have battery supply online to build volumes similar to what Tesla is focused on making around 2020.

It can take less than 2 years to add capacity.

Add GM to the list of companies who'll build a "long-range" BEV if LG Chem can bring cell manufacturing costs down. But, the big question will be: how fast will it charge? Tesla understands the need to keep the charge:drive ratio down.

There's also the meaning of 200 miles. Elon Musk has made it clear that to Tesla 200 miles means EPA range rating.

Last edited:
I can't imagine Tesla has ever convened a focus group as it thought about the design of the Model S or the Model X. Companies rely on focus groups when they don't have the courage of their own convictions.

Might be a little strong, depends on the structure of questions, invitees, group dynamics and how comments are extrapolated. Focus groups of geeky EV enthusiasts and/or early Tesla owners could have saved Tesla a lot of headaches (e.g., communications) and made good suggestions (interior design, color options, headrest size, etc.).