Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"In every discussion about automobiles, it will eventually degrade into the topic of General Motors Sucks",
In this case yes, GM sucks. The prime reason I WONT be getting Opel Ampera-e in the case Tesla doesn't come through with my M3, is it is produced by GM.
it boils down to their politics.

If LG starts selling their home-brew adaptation of LG Bolt, I will be all over it. GM Bolt? No way in hell.

Reactions: kelly and gene
The Woz has spoken. Basically says the Bolt is better than a Tesla in every way for him except the lack of supercharging.
And I'm sure somewhere in the world there is someone who thinks a Honda Fit is better than a BMW too. Is such an outlier in any way statistically relevant? Of course not, the exception proves the rule.

And I'm sure somewhere in the world there is someone who thinks a Honda Fit is better than a BMW too. Is such an outlier in any way statistically relevant? Of course not, the exception proves the rule.

Nice spin. The former Trump campaign would be impressed.

Doesn't change the fact that The Woz, a 4-time Tesla owner, said the Bolt is a much better fit for him. And I'm sure many other people too. But Tesla still has the Superchargers and Ludicrous mode, right?!

Having read a number of accounts about The Woz, including his own book, I'd suggest that he indeed doesn't likely represent the majority viewpoint on a number of matters.

He's interested in engineering and specs that meet his own personal (and likely unique) interests above all others. Not that that isn't the case with most people, it's just that his interests aren't likely very representative.

For example: he built color and sound in to the Apple ][, not because it would have been a useful and marketable item, but because he wanted a machine that could play Breakout. He designed the high-res screen memory layout in a way that rather cumbersome from a programming perspective because it saved one logic gate.

I'd not put it past Woz to consider the Bolt superior because it's hatchback fits a road case he needs to transport 82.6 miles, and consider styling, fast charging speed, cabin materials, acceleration, etc... all as inconsequential.

I don't think it's particularly spin to suggest that Woz is a bit of a corner-case in terms of feature importance. Heck, I probably am too.

The Woz has spoken. Basically says the Bolt is better than a Tesla in every way for him except the lack of supercharging. :cool:...

OMG, the Russian hackers took over Woz's twitter account ! Hacking the presidential election is one thing, but messing with the Woz is completely unacceptable. You hear me Putin? I'm talkin to you buddy boy... :mad:

RT

OMG, the Russian hackers took over Woz's twitter account ! Hacking the presidential election is one thing, but messing with the Woz is completely unacceptable. You hear me Putin? I'm talkin to you buddy boy... :mad:

RT

I give you a "hover mouse button over Funny icon but not nearly enough for me to click it" rating. B- for effort though.

If you are talking a Honda Fit EV, then I'm your guy! A Honda Fit EV is way better than any BMW, Ferrari, Maserati etc. If it's got a tailpipe, it is of zero interest to me!

The Woz has spoken. Basically says the Bolt is better than a Tesla in every way for him except the lack of supercharging. :cool:

Adding in the "Who gives a **** what this guy thinks?!" criticisms ahead of time so the zealots don't have to. You're welcome.
Screenshot_20170106-0553113_zps5yvqubsu.png
Screenshot_20170106-0553113_zps5yvqubsu.png

That's not how I would interpret that quote. Setting the UI part aside for a moment, the rest of the quote seems to be a 'right tool for the job' type comment - that Woz prefers a smaller, lighter, less expensive and less ostentatious car for general daily tasks. (Presumably mostly about parking and ease of entry.)

The UI comment is interesting. I really haven't been a fan of what I've seen of the Bolt displays in videos, but I haven't played with one in person.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
That's not how I would interpret that quote. Setting the UI part aside for a moment, the rest of the quote seems to be a 'right tool for the job' type comment - that Woz prefers a smaller, lighter, less expensive and less ostentatious car for general daily tasks. (Presumably mostly about parking and ease of entry.)

The UI content is interesting. I really haven't been a fan of what I've seen of the Bolt displays in videos, but I haven't played with one in person.

I bet a lot of the U/I praise is the fact he can use Apple Carplay (or Android Auto, but he can't be using Android, can he?!).

What is stopping Tesla from adding Android Auto/Apple Carplay to their cars?? Seems it would be 1 simple OTA update away.

I bet a lot of the U/I praise is the fact he can use Apple Carplay (or Android Auto, but he can't be using Android, can he?!).

What is stopping Tesla from adding Android Auto/Apple Carplay to their cars?? Seems it would be 1 simple OTA update away.

You'd think so, yes. I think I saw someone in a thread a while back saying there's a specific chip used in most/all Carplay implementations to date that Tesla doesn't have, but presumably that could be emulated.

My personal bummer about the Bolt that I have seen so far is OnStar. There is so much information that the car is recording, but OnStar doesn't provide a way to get at it. You would think that with as many OnStar vehicles on the road it would be in their best interest in having a third party app that shows that kind of information for those that are interested. I can't see any reason why something like Tesla Toolbox or Remote S doesn't exist for OnStar vehicles.

The UI comment is interesting. I really haven't been a fan of what I've seen of the Bolt displays in videos, but I haven't played with one in person.
Right I read it the same way. He mentioned his 10 years of driving the Prius, which implies the Bolt is much closer to his experience with the Prius. Here we have in the same thread McRat criticizing the Prius as a horrible car compared to the Volt. We should not take that as gospel that this proves that the majority opinion would be that a Bolt is better than a Tesla (same as comparing a Prius to a Tesla).

Right I read it the same way. He mentioned his 10 years of driving the Prius, which implies the Bolt is much closer to his experience with the Prius. Here we have in the same thread McRat criticizing the Prius as a horrible car compared to the Volt. We should not take that as gospel that this proves that the majority opinion would be that a Bolt is better than a Tesla (same as comparing a Prius to a Tesla).

You might have noticed that Woz didn't buy a Prius Prime, he bought a Bolt.

If Woz drove a Prius for 10 years, you'd think he'd replace it with a Prius if it was the better choice.

A large % of Chevy Volt, and most likely, Bolt EV owners will be those who moved up from the Prius.

It seems pretty clear that he(Wozniak) wants to drive something smaller around town than what Tesla offers right now. It's not a matter of which one is better overall.

The fact that he's stating he will drive his $43.5k Bolt over his $150k P100DL if there is a choice between the 2 every time speaks volumes.

How many people would say they would rather drive a $15k Chevy Sonic daily over a $122k BMW M6?