Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking personally, I think the Bolt has other great attributes beyond just the 200+ range:

* very good acceleration, even at highway speeds, compared to many cars and most EVs (Tesla excepted)

* excellent one-pedal driving mode that is better than Tesla and most other EVs

* excellent rear seat legroom and good headroom; excellent leg and headroom in front seats

* nice LCD driver instrumentation and larger than usual infotainment screen for displaying Apple or Google maps via a smartphone.

* bird's eye surround view makes for easy parking

* thoughtful storage layout

* over-the-air software updates although it remains to be seen what GM will do with it

Even with the various BEVs expected to be on the market between now and 2020 I'm quite happy with my Bolt purchase.

It's ideal for my urban commuter purposes and is easy to park where I live in San Francisco with its short length. I also find it adequate and useful for road trips today in California and in surrounding states soon as additional chargers are installed in the next couple of years.

I have a 2 car family and at some point I expect I may replace our aging 2004 Prius with a Model 3 in 3-4 years.

And the Bolt (and pretty much every GM vehicle to include the cheap Chevy Spark) offers Android Auto/Apple Carplay.

How is AA/Carplay performance in a Tesla? Oh wait, nevermind.

Reactions: dhrivnak
And the Bolt (and pretty much every GM vehicle to include the cheap Chevy Spark) offers Android Auto/Apple Carplay.

How is AA/Carplay performance in a Tesla? Oh wait, nevermind.

How come no one ever asks Elon this when they have the chance? I assume it's either licensing costs or they just haven't had the development resources or priority to do it. But I've never heard anyone actually ask Elon about it.

How come no one ever asks Elon this when they have the chance? I assume it's either licensing costs or they just haven't had the development resources or priority to do it. But I've never heard anyone actually ask Elon about it.
Well, we do know Tesla wanted to do an app API a long time ago, but abandoned it (likely Autopilot took up all their development resources). The latest Elon comment on this is from early 2016 on thinking about doing app mirroring instead, but nothing since then. I think Tesla's software engineers are plenty busy with Autopilot (plus they have a new smaller 15 inch landscape screen they have to support for Model 3).

There was some discussion I read a while back about how the current implementations of AA/Carplay all depend on a specific chipset in the headunit on the car and its particular instruction set - and Tesla of course doesn't have that chipset. Presumably it could be emulated if there aren't legal barriers to that, but the performance might be an issue. I don't know for a fact that it's true - just something I read online. :p (But it makes sense to me, I think.)

Speaking personally, I think the Bolt has other great attributes beyond just the 200+ range:

* very good acceleration, even at highway speeds, compared to many cars and most EVs (Tesla excepted)

* excellent one-pedal driving mode that is better than Tesla and most other EVs

* excellent rear seat legroom and good headroom; excellent leg and headroom in front seats

* nice LCD driver instrumentation and larger than usual infotainment screen for displaying Apple or Google maps via a smartphone.

* bird's eye surround view makes for easy parking

* thoughtful storage layout

* over-the-air software updates although it remains to be seen what GM will do with it

Even with the various BEVs expected to be on the market between now and 2020 I'm quite happy with my Bolt purchase.

It's ideal for my urban commuter purposes and is easy to park where I live in San Francisco with its short length. I also find it adequate and useful for road trips today in California and in surrounding states soon as additional chargers are installed in the next couple of years.

I have a 2 car family and at some point I expect I may replace our aging 2004 Prius with a Model 3 in 3-4 years.

Hello @Jeff N,
Since you are a Bolt owner, I have got a question for you. I am in need of 110V power to power my computer, printer,fan etc. for the "manager's office aka garage" in a property I just acquired; only for a couple of hours at most, occasionally. Generators are way too noisy. The other options seem quite infeasible too.

Do you know if Bolt has a 110V power outlet from its main battery? Or a DC output where I can hook up a power inverter to run my devices for a while? TIA.
Amazon.com: BESTEK 400W Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 110V Car Adapter with 5A 4 USB Charging Ports: Automotive

PS: I did peruse the Bolt owner's manual, but did not see anything about this. I am hoping it has this feature. Then, I will buy/lease it in a snap.

Hello @Jeff N,
Since you are a Bolt owner, I have got a question for you. I am in need of 110V power to power my computer, printer,fan etc. for the "manager's office aka garage" in a property I just acquired; only for a couple of hours at most, occasionally. Generators are way too noisy. The other options seem quite infeasible too.

Do you know if Bolt has a 110V power outlet from its main battery? Or a DC output where I can hook up a power inverter to run my devices for a while? TIA.
Amazon.com: BESTEK 400W Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 110V Car Adapter with 5A 4 USB Charging Ports: Automotive

PS: I did peruse the Bolt owner's manual, but did not see anything about this. I am hoping it has this feature. Then, I will buy/lease it in a snap.
The Bolt does not have a builtin 120V outlet like a few cars have these days but those are often only good for 100W or so, I think. Good for laptops or phone charging but not much else.

You can get 120V adapters that plug into a 12V "cigarette lighter" socket that provide about the same power but it looks like you need to power multiple devices.

You could install or maybe have a stereo shop install an inverter with a 120V outlet somewhere in the car. I don't know how best to tap into the high power 12V wiring but a shop should be able to figure it out. The car has a 1,600W high voltage DC to 12V DC converter (in place of the alternator in a gasoline car) so 400W is no problem and you could probably use up to an 800-1000W inverter if you wanted. Of course, the car has to be turned on in order to allow the high voltage battery to feed the 12V circuits.

The Bolt does not have a builtin 120V outlet like a few cars have these days but those are often only good for 100W or so, I think. Good for laptops or phone charging but not much else.

You can get 120V adapters that plug into a 12V "cigarette lighter" socket that provide about the same power but it looks like you need to power multiple devices.

You could install or maybe have a stereo shop install an inverter with a 120V outlet somewhere in the car. I don't know how best to tap into the high power 12V wiring but a shop should be able to figure it out. The car has a 1,600W high voltage DC to 12V DC converter (in place of the alternator in a gasoline car) so 400W is no problem and you could probably use up to an 800-1000W inverter if you wanted. Of course, the car has to be turned on in order to allow the high voltage battery to feed the 12V circuits.
Hi @Jeff N ,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I got an inverter and tried out last time on my gas car, hooking up directly to the 12V battery. It costs just $28 :) Earlier, I was checking out the quietest generators available, but they all have min 70-80 dB noise level. Then, I found this.
1500W 12v DC TO 110v AC car truck automotive POWER INVERTER Converter 50HZ USA | eBay

It worked great, compared to the generators or small battery pack+solar solutions out there, like the Anker powerhouse or Suaoki 400Wh. But I am afraid to use it too long, since it can drain the 12 V battery. I think, the output from cigarette lighter in Bolt is also from its 12V battery, though I have no idea why electric cars even need a 12V battery.

I was hoping there could be a way to tap into the main battery pack of 60 kwh, so there won't be any concern of draining out the tiny 12V battery anytime soon. My guess is, the main battery is probably higher voltage (24V or 48V?), but inverters should be available, or GM could make more money selling the inverter as an accessory. I sent my feedback to GM, that this will be a really good feature to have on the Bolt; to provide portable and quiet emergency power. It has many uses, like during camping or outdoor fun or tailgating parties. But I doubt GM will care that much.

I was hoping there could be a way to tap into the main battery pack of 60 kwh, so there won't be any concern of draining out the tiny 12V battery anytime soon. My guess is, the main battery is probably higher voltage (24V or 48V?), but inverters should be available, or GM could make more money selling the inverter as an accessory. I sent my feedback to GM, that this will be a really good feature to have on the Bolt; to provide portable and quiet emergency power. It has many uses, like during camping or outdoor fun or tailgating parties. But I doubt GM will care that much.
The main battery pack is around 350V. You shouldn't mess with it.

For the power levels you need the easy path is to tap your AC inverter into the car's 12V system. As long as the car is turned on, it has DC-to-DC voltage converter circuits that change the 350V power from the main battery into 12V power that your AC inverter can then use to output 120V AC. The power is really coming from the big battery so the 12V lead acid battery won't be drained.

You could literally clamp your inverter onto the 12V battery like you did on your gas car and it would work but it would be nearly silent as it slowly draws power from the big battery via the DC-to-DC voltage converter.

However, if you are regularly going to be doing this then it's better to have someone knowledgeable do a permanent installation of some kind or at least add some better quick-connect cables for temporarily connecting your AC inverter to make it faster, easier, and safer than directly clamping onto the battery posts.

A car stereo shop is a good place to try since they regularly hook up high powered aftermarket audio amplifiers to vehicle 12V systems.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and mmd
The main battery pack is around 350V. You shouldn't mess with it.

For the power levels you need the easy path is to tap your AC inverter into the car's 12V system. As long as the car is turned on, it has DC-to-DC voltage converter circuits that change the 350V power from the main battery into 12V power that your AC inverter can then use to output 120V AC. The power is really coming from the big battery so the 12V lead acid battery won't be drained.

You could literally clamp your inverter onto the 12V battery like you did on your gas car and it would work but it would be nearly silent as it slowly draws power from the big battery via the DC-to-DC voltage converter.

However, if you are regularly going to be doing this then it's better to have someone knowledgeable do a permanent installation of some kind or at least add some better quick-connect cables for temporarily connecting your AC inverter to make it faster, easier, and safer than directly clamping onto the battery posts.

A car stereo shop is a good place to try since they regularly hook up high powered aftermarket audio amplifiers to vehicle 12V systems.
Great, thanks! Seems like this could work out to supply 110V power for a long time. I'm wondering, if someone has done this experiment; just to be sure to not end up with a drained 12V battery :) I believe this is how it works ( main battery charges the 12V battery when car is running), but just want to be sure :)

I will try this out on my current low range EV (that can't reach my rental place). And see how it works.
Thanks for your answers.

Last edited:
I'm wondering, if someone has done this experiment; just to be sure to not end up with a dead 12V battery :) I believe this is how it works ( main battery charges the 12V battery when car is running), but just want to be sure :)
Just leave the car turned on the entire time that you are using the AC inverter. You don't want to be draining the 12V battery at all. As you turn on 120V devices that are plugged into the AC inverter it will then draw 12V power and that will draw more 350V power from the main battery. The 12V battery just fills in any momentary variations but basically does not drain.

I once did a camping trip using an 800W AC inverter hooked up to my 2004 Toyota Prius 12V battery. I made rice with a rice cooker and when that was done I used an electric stove "hot plate" to heat up Indian food from a pre-made pouch. The car was turned on in "Ready" mode in "park".

As in the Bolt scenario, the hybrid battery supplied the 12V system through the car's 2000W DC-to-DC converter in silence for several minutes as I was cooking and when the hybrid battery was drained down too far it would cause the gas engine to start up to generate power and refill the hybrid pack for a minute or so and then the engine would turn off. Worked great. Much quieter than a dedicated gas generator.

Goggle around on PriusChat.com and perhaps GM-Volt.com and you will find threads discussing how other people hooked up inverters to their cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
Just leave the car turned on the entire time that you are using the AC inverter.
Yes, these are way better than noisy and oily generators, that also require maintenance. Only concern with keeping the car on is that, I think the keys must be left in the car to keep it running, which makes it a bit vulnerable to theft.

Or just buy an AGM sealed lead acid battery and put it in your car, hook the inverter to that. That way if it runs down you can still start your car.
@JRP3, Yes, this idea did occur to me. There are some deep cycle lead-acid batteries available, mostly for boating etc. But I think, their capacity is nowhere near the 60kwh (or even 20-30kwh) of energy sitting in the electric cars. I have to check, if a lead acid battery can supply 1-2 kwh of energy. I also need to buy the charger for the battery to recharge. But thanks for your input.

I carry a Li-Ion jump starter in case my 12V battery in my gas car runs out, as I use that to inflate some inflatable kayaks etc. with a 12V pump sometimes. I helped out someone else once with this. I am not sure if jump starting is even needed for electric cars, since there is no crankshaft to crank.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-...Ion-Jump-Starter-amp-Battery-Charger/46007586

Last edited:
So, lots of Tesla news today: AWD and Performance Model 3 maybe a year away, Model Y (for those into more hatchback rears) a couple of years away.

Any thoughts, I would guess these news level the playingfield a bit for Bolt?

I see your point. A lot of people with 3 reservations said they would pass on the Bolt because they wanted to get AWD, Performance, HUD, etc in the 3, and/or better cargo space in the Y. But with all of those now appearing a ways off in the future, the Bolt and 3, for a time, look a little more directly competitive than they might have before.

Of course, there are still other reasons to favor the 3 (appearance, larger range option, RWD, company mission, etc - just as there are still reasons to favor the Bolt: available now, hatchback, likely easier egress, larger service network, etc). Those disappointed in today's news about the 3 won't suddenly find what they wanted (AWD, P, HUD, etc) in the Bolt; so I don't think many people will switch. Though I am sure a few who need a car in a hurry will.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
So, lots of Tesla news today: AWD and Performance Model 3 maybe a year away, Model Y (for those into more hatchback rears) a couple of years away.

Any thoughts, I would guess these news level the playingfield a bit for Bolt?

Not really. Lots of people didn't really expect much Model 3 production in 2017 anyways. The thought now that the AWD versions won't come out until late Q4 or in Q1 2018 pretty much still matches up with most people's idea of when the Model 3 ships. However, their place in line shifts... instead of the most expensive variants shipping first, the cheapest seem to ship first unlike the S and the X.

Again, the Bolt's max production is so small that there's a good chance Tesla can catch the Bolt in production numbers in 2017 and blow it away in 2018. GM hasn't really lined up much additional cell production for 2018 or 2019, so we're looking at 2020 for any serious increase in Bolt production.

I see your point. A lot of people with 3 reservations said they would pass on the Bolt because they wanted to get AWD, Performance, HUD, etc in the 3, and/or better cargo space in the Y. But with all of those now appearing a ways off in the future, the Bolt and 3, for a time, look a little more directly competitive than they might have before.

Of course, there are still other reasons to favor the 3 (appearance, larger range option, RWD, company mission, etc - just as there are still reasons to favor the Bolt: available now, hatchback, likely easier egress, larger service network, etc). Those disappointed in today's news about the 3 won't suddenly find what they wanted (AWD, P, HUD, etc) in the Bolt; so I don't think many people will switch. Though I am sure a few who need a car in a hurry will.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting anyone bolting to Bolt from Model 3.

More thinking along the lines that the Bolt may be a bit easier sell for those in-between, now, especially if cargo capacity is needed.

But perhaps this is not a big factor in any case. Just thinking out loud.