Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that looks pretty definitive - at least for the ~40% SoC they tried it at (and for the car they had with the firmware it currently has, of course.)

Given how sharply the Bolt tapers, maybe they should have gone lower to see if it'll take more than 150A near the bottom.

The problem is voltage... with a 150 amp limit, the highest voltage right before the charge rate drops is about 367 volts. That's 55 kW. At a lower state of charge, the voltage is lower, so the rate is lower.

I guess it is possible there is another step at a lower SOC. At ~340 volts x 160 amps, that's 55 kW. To get over 55 kW, they'll have to be able to handle more than 160 amps at that voltage level.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it will be under 80%. There will be people jumping in line as cancellations occur though.

Doubt that I'll configure unless I have a buyer. My Model S will do for me a few more years.

Bolt sales will continue to increase with the Model 3 frenzy and VW EV efforts. This is a good thing.

Until GM hits their production limit, which is very low. Within a few months of start of production, Model 3 production will likely be around 10X Bolt production.

Reactions: jas

Interesting. They didn't hit the main thing that I noticed - flexibility in charge scheduling.

All the GM electrics have had more and better options for scheduled charging - charge so it finishes at a given time, and program in your time of use so the car can choose the cheapest charging.

The Bolt kicks it up a notch - an option to do immediate charging up to a middle threshold so you have some range for the unexpected, options to charge at the beginning or end of the window, and I think a couple more choices I'm not remembering right now.

Of course, like most things on the Tesla, a single firmware update could completely change the behavior - and hopefully will at some point.

Reactions: Jeff N
4,5,6, and 10 would apply to any vehicle with similar size and form factor, and I'm sorry but 8 is just silly.

#7 doesn't apply to most Teslas out there now. He is comparing the classic RWD Model S to the new FWD Bolt, but the majority of Model S out there and all Model X have dual motors which is vastly superior to FWD in snow. I also doubt he's had much chance to drive the Bolt in the snow. As some have pointed out, the primary reason FWD is better in snow for most cars is because more weight is over the front wheels than back wheels. The Model S RWD does better in the snow than most RWD cars because more weight is on the back wheels than most RWD cars. I talked about this with my SO and she remembers her old VW Bug with the rear engine did better in snow than any other RWD car she's ever driven.

I can understand the pretentiousness factor. If you live in a neighborhood where most people have cars worth over $60K, the Tesla kind of blends in, but if your neighborhood is more the Accord and Camry kind of place, your car is going to stand out and people can think you're flashing your wealth around. One of the things I like about the Model S is it looks so much like other large sedans costing a lot less most people won't know it's an expensive car unless they look closer and know something about the car.

As some have pointed out, the primary reason FWD is better in snow for most cars is because more weight is over the front wheels than back wheels.

IMO not really, not in the premium class where RWD cars have had 50-50 weight distribution for decades anyway. (The comparison was a premium RWD car.) That was the reason in old, cheap RWDs where you had to put sacks of sand in the trunk... That is not the case in a modern BMW, however.

No, the real reason why FWD is better in the snow is two-fold: understeer is safer and more logical to the average driver than oversteer in a powerful car (this is offset a lot by ESP these days) and... drumroll... most importantly: being able to turn the driving wheels for added traction in tricky spots.

The latter is also the reason why my P85 left me in trouble a few times. (It tried to throw its tail dangerously too, but ESP usually caught that.) There really is not much you can do with an RWD car if the wheels start spinning. You can try to move it back and forth, but your options are vastly limited by not being able to turn the wheels as you do this.

Reactions: hiroshiy and McRat
No, the real reason why FWD is better in the snow is two-fold: understeer is safer and more logical to the average driver than oversteer in a powerful car (this is offset a lot by ESP these days) and... drumroll... most importantly: being able to turn the driving wheels for added traction in tricky spots.

It's really situation dependent. I've been on high crown roads in FWD vehicles where the front end slid sideways and pulled towards the ditch and you'd be stuck where with RWD the rear would pull towards the ditch but you could turn the front wheels, which were not slipping, away from the ditch and you could pull away. I also disagree that understeer is safer and more logical, to me it feels the opposite. In my early days I spun a FWD vehicle by letting off the throttle too quickly and had the back end come around. Plus being able to kick the rear end out with RWD out is more fun :D

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
It's really situation dependent. I've been on high crown roads in FWD vehicles where the front end slid sideways and pulled towards the ditch and you'd be stuck where with RWD the rear would pull towards the ditch but you could turn the front wheels, which were not slipping, away from the ditch and you could pull away. I also disagree that understeer is safer and more logical, to me it feels the opposite. In my early days I spun a FWD vehicle by letting off the throttle too quickly and had the back end come around.

You are right @JRP3, of course, in bringing additional angles and points to the conversation. If the question of FWD vs. RWD (or even vs. AWD) were so simple, we'd just have one of them in all cars. Of course we don't. :) My point about understeer being more logical and safer is based on experience and following the discussions and trends around this in winter driving related to non-experienced drivers (young males, unfortunately, a large group of these).

Especially in the old days before ESP, RWDs were the cause of many accidents, probably because oversteer tends to happen when driving straight lines or coming out of corners and when the driver is accelerating and perhaps not quite as alert as when slowing down to a corner, which is the domain of understeer... Understeer happens mostly while cornering when people are slowing down anyway and more alert, given slippery conditions... Oversteer while driving straight is much more dangerous than understeer which usually results in some swerving and slippage only.

Also, understeer is controlled by decelerating, while oversteer is controlled by accelerating and steering towards the opposite way, which makes the latter less intuitive

Plus being able to kick the rear end out with RWD out is more fun :D

Goes without saying. :) For a relative expert, RWD is of course immensely controllable, much more so than FWD.

Indeed - just a personal anecdote Tesla-wise - my Model S P85 was more fun in some ways than the Model X P100D, no wagging the tail there... That said, it is magical how go-kart like the X is... And I definitely felt the RWD danger in the P85. It was much easier to get to misbehave than most cars I've had...

Personally, I'm more of an AWD guy. But even those come in many different varieties.

One more RWD note:

Long time before Tesla, once when joining the motorway I was following some RWD German in front of me in my AWD car. It was winter, snow, below freezing, but otherwise very good weather, sun shining, good visibility, no reason not to drive motorway speeds. The woman driving the car in front of me joined the traffic spiritedly, apparently slamming down the throttle while doing so - and did a perfect 360 degree spin in front of me, ending up in the snowy ditch, heading the right way (and luckily probably not even scratching the car).

Obviously she lost control of the tail while accelerating. An FWD (as in front wheel drive, not falcon wing doors :) car might have pushed in that scenario, accelerating to join the motorway traffic, but no way would it have spun. The 50-50 AWD I was driving had no problem either.

Impressive.But the dashboard shows 613.6 km when it runs out of charge. Title says 623 km, and he misreads 623 km in the video.
Also, at 9.2 kWh/100 km, looks like it stops after using 56.4 kWh only. Am I reading it right? I thought, Bolt's battery pack is more than 60 kWh.
bolt_hypermilling.JPG

Last edited:
Opel delivered 236 Ampera-e's in Norway so far, with 221 last month and the remaining 15 in April. With the backlog extending over 4000 cars, those numbers are underwhelming. Although they are better than originally feared when Opel started to push back in delivery promises. No surprise therefore that just-delivered Ampera-e's are sold for well over list price on used car trading websites. It is clear Norwegian customers are keen for a cheaper but long range electric vehicle. There is no doubt in my mind that the Model 3 will be doing extremely well over there. For both Tesla and GM/Opel it's now all about production and execution.

• Informative
Reactions: techmaven and mmd
Opel delivered 236 Ampera-e's in Norway so far, with 221 last month and the remaining 15 in April. With the backlog extending over 4000 cars, those numbers are underwhelming. Although they are better than originally feared when Opel started to push back in delivery promises. No surprise therefore that just-delivered Ampera-e's are sold for well over list price on used car trading websites. It is clear Norwegian customers are keen for a cheaper but long range electric vehicle. There is no doubt in my mind that the Model 3 will be doing extremely well over there. For both Tesla and GM/Opel it's now all about production and execution.

Is there any idea of model 3 reservation count in Norway from forums etc.? I wonder, if some Model 3 would-be purchasers in Norway will switch to Bolt as a more practical car. Are hatchbacks more popular than sedans in Norway? TIA.

Then, there is obviously the question of what happens when most cars become electric. Someone has to pay the bills for the government. Right now, it's the fees and taxes on ICE cars and petrol that is paying the bills. We might see an about face at that point.

Seems 1,566 Bolts sold for May, ~3400 total BEVs/EREVs/PHEVs for the month.

Overall a 45% increase in YoY plug-in sales for GM (~3,400 compared to 2,340 last May). Bolt sales steadily increase as it rolls out in more and more states. And despite the increasing Bolt sales, Volt sales have more or less remained steady.

Looks like the Bolt may very well be the #1 selling BEV this month again. Leaf only sold 1,300 or so copies.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Overall a 45% increase in YoY plug-in sales for GM (~3,400 compared to 2,340 last May). Bolt sales steadily increase as it rolls out in more and more states. And despite the increasing Bolt sales, Volt sales have more or less remained steady.

Looks like the Bolt may very well be the #1 selling BEV this month again. Leaf only sold 1,300 or so copies.

Already beaten by Model S at 1,620 and Model X at 1,730 for May. June is of course the big US Tesla delivery month (end of quarter) and if history is any guideline both Tesla models will double their deliveries over the prior month.

The Bolt has nearly 6,000 units in stock (four months worth) in the bulk of the EV-heavy states. In Los Angeles there was a giant Memorial Day ad from Community Chevrolet for Bolts at $149/mo with $4k due at signing (less than $9500 for a three year lease at 10k/year). This is approaching the deals offered on Leafs and compliance cars.

The car needs a price cut and better seats, stat.

Already beaten by Model S at 1,620 and Model X at 1,730 for May. June is of course the big US Tesla delivery month (end of quarter) and if history is any guideline both Tesla models will double their deliveries over the prior month.

The Bolt has nearly 6,000 units in stock (four months worth) in the bulk of the EV-heavy states. In Los Angeles there was a giant Memorial Day ad from Community Chevrolet for Bolts at $149/mo with $4k due at signing (less than $9500 for a three year lease at 10k/year). This is approaching the deals offered on Leafs and compliance cars.

The car needs a price cut and better seats, stat.

Are the 'better seats' going to work for me? The OEM seats on the Bolt are fine for me. I can't say that for all seats in all cars.

Reactions: mmd

1 Model S
2 Model X
3 Bolt
4 Leaf

I don't doubt that the discounting on the Bolt has helped.
The Volt's down a little, but with the combination of the overall market being down plus discounts on the Bolt mean that a small drop isn't worrying. GM won't be sweating much, since the current sales should be more than enough to satisfy CARB.

The Prime was the top-selling plug-in, but the trend of Prius 2017 + Prime << Prius 2016 continues to suggest that it's just cannibalizing Prius sales. (Aside: I saw two Gen 4 Priuses in the same place for the first time this past weekend. They were at a health food store. One _might_ have been a Prime; but I couldn't get a good enough look to know.)[/QUOTE]