Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it’s loosely similar. My older EVgo subscription is for $0.10 per minute and no session fee so it’s $3 for 30 minutes. The current subscription plan is now $.20 per minute and no session fee so $6 per 30 minutes. My old subscription fee is $14.95 per month but it is now $19.95 per month for new subscribers.
You're lucky they're grandfathering the old plan. I never used them more than once a quarter so I could not justify the monthly fee. Now the crossover to justify the current monthly plan requires even more usage.
EVgo chargers are now remotely restartable via their website or smartphone app. Even though it still times out after 30 minutes you can now restart it while you are at the restaurant....
Yes, that's appreciated, but they're only making baby steps...

Very throrough Bolt review from Soul EV owner.
Alex does excellent in-depth reviews for all sorts of cars. He’s unusually good at getting his facts right and clearly explaining complex topics.

I thought this Bolt review was positive and well-done although it was a bit repetitive mid-way through about the tires and suspension.

I would quibble with him on two point: I though he may have somewhat overstated the severity of Tesla’s schedule slippage on Model 3 production (at this point in time) and the comparison with the BMW i3 REx could have mentioned it’s gas-mode difficulties with any kind of extended driving over 70 mph (without a headwind) or up road grades.

There is a magic way of “coding” the i3 so it operates in European mode rather than in CARB-compliant mode that largely ameliorates that limitation but it’s “secret” and not something that ordinary US owners should be expected to know or use.

Reactions: Zoomit
GM is apparently going to start playing the 'Forward Looking' game:

https://www.gm.com/content/dam/gm/events/docs/5265845-684463-Chartset-11-15-2017

Meh. It's aimed at investors. But it does say their goal is 300 mile class EVs that are autonomous. And they claim they will make money selling them. They are switching battery technology, and going under $100 per kWh. The Bolt is already old school.

The Bolt is just the tip of the iceberg.
How GM Plans To Bury Tesla With Onslaught Of Electric Vehicles That Will -- Gasp! -- Make A Profit

aaaand this is likely the rumored "Buick Bolt", minus the Buick badge for the time being.

how to upload pictures on internet

Good old GM badge engineering. At least one of these new models is likely to fix the seats somewhat.

The biggest disappointment is the 1 million EVs by 2026. Basically, mostly just meeting Chinese regulatory mandates. 12% of Chinese volume must be EVs by 2020. Lots of them will be this vehicle:

170807102800-baojun-100-rear-780x439.jpg

Prices start at $14,000 equivalent and after incentives, is $5,300 equivalent:
GM is selling a $5,000 electric car in China

In 2020, they'll need to be shipping something like 450,000 EVs in China... obviously most of which are these really small urban runabouts. If you look at the graph on page 16, that means almost all of their volume will be accounted for by Chinese mandates.

Given the low charge rates with their existing NMC battery pack, it seems that GM doesn't expect 6 digit volumes of EVs outside of China before 2021. New platform in 2021... but even then, they are only talking about doubling EV volumes from ~2020 to 2026. That's anemic.

Last edited:
Reactions: EinSV
In 2020, they'll need to be shipping something like 450,000 EVs in China... obviously most of which are these really small urban runabouts. If you look at the graph on page 16, that means almost all of their volume will be accounted for by Chinese mandates.
Seems odd that GM would develop 20 new vehicles just to meet China's regulatory mandates, if they could meet the requirement with one or two models of small, urban runabout.

Are other manufacturers also doing this?

Very interesting is the new battery platform due in 2021. 30+% cheaper than the Bolt's pack, higher energy density, improved fast charging speeds, and it's modular, so can be put into anything from a sleek sports car to a huge 7 passenger luxury SUV.

Tesla has been put on notice.

edit: also of note is GM finally committing to invest in charging infrastructure.

Good old GM badge engineering. At least one of these new models is likely to fix the seats somewhat.

The biggest disappointment is the 1 million EVs by 2026. Basically, mostly just meeting Chinese regulatory mandates. 12% of Chinese volume must be EVs by 2020. Lots of them will be this vehicle:

170807102800-baojun-100-rear-780x439.jpg

Prices start at $14,000 equivalent and after incentives, is $5,300 equivalent:
GM is selling a $5,000 electric car in China

Given the low charge rates with their existing NMC battery pack, it seems that GM doesn't expect 6 digit volumes of EVs outside of China before 2021. New platform in 2021... but even then, they are only talking about doubling EV volumes from ~2020 to 2026. That's anemic.

What is GM's new 'fast-charge' sub $100 dollar battery technology? Did it come from the largest EV battery lab (GM's Advanced Propulsion) or some other source?

edit: also of note is GM finally committing to invest in charging infrastructure.

GM has researched how cars are actually used. They have more car tracking telemetry than all other companies combined. OnStar operates even if you don't pay for it as a GPS data collector. This is why the infrastructure is still mostly limited to coastal regions. Very few cars go coast to coast, less than 1%.

Sidebar - This is why the Volt had 35 miles of range BTW. They used OnStar data to figure out what specs they needed. But to better service flyover states, they boosted the range since that demographic drives further.

Last edited:
GM has researched how cars are actually used. They have more car tracking telemetry than all other companies combined. OnStar operates even if you pay for it as a GPS data collector. This is why the infrastructure is still mostly limited to coastal regions. Very few cars go coast to coast, less than 1%.

Sidebar - This is why the Volt had 35 miles of range BTW. They used OnStar data to figure out what specs they needed.

This is part of GMs problem. There is what people need. And then there is what people want.

Very interesting is the new battery platform due in 2021. 30+% cheaper than the Bolt's pack, higher energy density, improved fast charging speeds, and it's modular, so can be put into anything from a sleek sports car to a huge 7 passenger luxury SUV.

Tesla has been put on notice.

So GM's announcement puts Tesla on notice, but Audi's hundreds don't?

When someone actually ships competing hardware, Tesla will be on notice, and it'll be a great day for all of us. Until then, it's just another press release.

So GM's announcement puts Tesla on notice, but Audi's hundreds don't?

When someone actually ships competing hardware, Tesla will be on notice, and it'll be a great day for all of us. Until then, it's just another press release.

LOL, indeed, GM has a lot of catching up to do in the EV-press-release department to come anywhere near Audi.
I do believe GM will deliver good EVs by the middle of the next decade, EVs that will be competitive with Tesla's offering from the middle of this decade ;)