Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the battery voltage vs SOC% chart is linear, a flat battery would register ~3.15V and at 100% it would be right at 4.1V. All data I've observed via TorquePro indicates the Bolt has a ~3.5% buffer at the top and bottom of the battery (usable SOC window ~3.5% - 96.5%) and thus an overall battery size of ~64 kWh.

Coincidentally (or not) the KIA Niro EV is advertised having a 64 kWh battery and 238 miles of range. I wonder if the Niro is using the same battery as the Bolt, but Kia is advertising the total capacity versus the usable capacity GM seems to be quoting.
Out of curiosity, does the EPA site show the size of the Bolt battery like it did for the Model 3? Seems like a good place to go (ignoring how much Tesla claimed the size on the EPA site was wrong).

Out of curiosity, does the EPA site show the size of the Bolt battery like it did for the Model 3? Seems like a good place to go (ignoring how much Tesla claimed the size on the EPA site was wrong).
Yes.

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=39642&flag=1

Amp-Hour capacity is listed as 171.4Ah. Nominal voltage is 350V. Ah*V=Wh=59,990
Recharge events after UDDS and Highway tests were 67.42kWh and 66.51kWh. Those figures are from the wall and include charging losses.

Yes.

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=39642&flag=1

Amp-Hour capacity is listed as 171.4Ah. Nominal voltage is 350V. Ah*V=Wh=59,990
Recharge events after UDDS and Highway tests were 67.42kWh and 66.51kWh. Those figures are from the wall and include charging losses.
There is an alternate link which includes that document along with some addition submission statements and a GM cover letter.

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=38567&flag=1

In that additional text, GM says:
Battery
Lithium Ion battery pack
60 kWh pack energy capacity
7.6 kW On-Board; 50 kW Off-Board charge power

So full battery is probably at 4.2V. Wonder if the system stops charging at 4.1ish volts and uses the rest for the upper limit buffer. To allow drivers to keep regen.
I thought they used "Hilltop reserve" for regen --- (battery charging only to ~90%). Hmm ... I suspect there are some youtube videos of how regen works on the Bolt when charged to 100% (ie. like Tesla dotted lined limiting) but I haven't looked that hard.

But I know they market one-pedal driving so they may be using other techniques to keep that PR accurate. I'm sure an owner will clarify.

So I've been charging to 100% in my Bolt the last few days to log some data. First, after charging to 100%, I've observed max Regen of about 15 kW. So there is still some small buffer even after charging full or else regen would not be possible.

Also, charging to 100% according to the car = 96.5% raw SOC according to TorquePro. That's the highest# I've seen even when new. I have almost 17k miles on my Bolt, and so it seems there has been no measurable degradation yet.
Screenshot_20180225-190551~2.png

IMG_20180225_190545519.jpg

So I've been charging to 100% in my Bolt the last few days to log some data. First, after charging to 100%, I've observed max Regen of about 15 kW. So there is still some small buffer even after charging full or else regen would not be possible.

Also, charging to 100% according to the car = 96.5% raw SOC according to TorquePro. That's the highest# I've seen even when new. I have almost 17k miles on my Bolt, and so it seems there has been no measurable degradation yet.

Hmmm... The actual SOC being higher with an aged battery in order to reach a 100% displayed chart charge is interesting. I wonder if this is a scheme to actually mask degradation.[/QUOTE]

View attachment 282941
View attachment 282942

Were you able to get cell voltages while at 100% user SoC to go with the discussion a few posts back?

Hmmm... The actual SOC being higher with an aged battery in order to reach a 100% displayed chart charge is interesting. I wonder if this is a scheme to actually mask degradation.
Volt1/Ampera does that. My new 2012 Ampera started off with 85.9%SOC when it was fully charged. It slowly climbed over the years with useful battery capacity remaining the same.
Now, 5 and half years later, with 140.000+km behind, the fully charged battery's SOC has reached 90.2% SOC and has stopped climbing and has started reducing useful capacity. Currently I have 0.4kWh of useful capacity less than when it was new.
Summing widening the SOC windows and the loss of net capacity, I've lost about 7% of total battery capacity, but only about 3% of useful capacity.

Looks like GM is gonna give the Bolt the HHR treatment and build a commercial version that deletes the rear seats. Sounds like a perfect vehicle for commercial delivery operations: the "Chevy Bolt Incomplete".
https://jalopnik.com/a-chevrolet-bolt-is-coming-that-loses-the-rear-seats-1823543790
I guess with the battery having a hump under the rear seats, that floor level for the cargo area will have to be at that height, even though the drivetrain is in the front. I guess they can still keep the rear well for additional storage.

Volt1/Ampera does that. My new 2012 Ampera started off with 85.9%SOC when it was fully charged. It slowly climbed over the years with useful battery capacity remaining the same.
Now, 5 and half years later, with 140.000+km behind, the fully charged battery's SOC has reached 90.2% SOC and has stopped climbing and has started reducing useful capacity. Currently I have 0.4kWh of useful capacity less than when it was new.
Summing widening the SOC windows and the loss of net capacity, I've lost about 7% of total battery capacity, but only about 3% of useful capacity.
Thanks for that. I have always heard people saying that GM hides degradation with an algorithm, but not something this clear showing how it works. This explains why people report no loss for the Volt.

Thanks for that. I have always heard people saying that GM hides degradation with an algorithm, but not something this clear showing how it works. This explains why people report no loss for the Volt.

I'm curious if the SOC % observations could have been caused by some software update applied. I know the SOC % window for 2013+ Volts is slightly different from 2011/2012s.