Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure there is some minimum SOC to start the installation process, similar to cell phones requiring a minimum battery % before applying a firmware update.
I don’t know but if there is a minimum required SOC it is probably so low as to be irrelevant since we’re just talking about 10 minutes with the infotainment system and a few other computers drawing a few hundreds watts at most.

That’s probably less than 100 Wh which is about 0.17% of the car’s ~60 kWh battery.

GM, EVgo to build Chevy Bolt EV fast-charging network, for Maven drivers only

I'm mixed about this. Creating a charging network ONLY for a specific group of people (in this case, ONLY Maven Bolt EV users) seems backwards. On the flip side, helping build these Maven-only stations should mean that less congestion at other regular EVgo/DCFC fast charging stations. Then again, exclusive chargng networks is nothing new (see Supercharging network). I guess more fast charging stations is still better than not, even if they exclude many potential users.

GM, EVgo to build Chevy Bolt EV fast-charging network, for Maven drivers only

I'm mixed about this. Creating a charging network ONLY for a specific group of people (in this case, ONLY Maven Bolt EV users) seems backwards. On the flip side, helping build these Maven-only stations should mean that less congestion at other regular EVgo/DCFC fast charging stations. Then again, exclusive chargng networks is nothing new (see Supercharging network). I guess more fast charging stations is still better than not, even if they exclude many potential users.
Would be interesting if they unshackled the 50%+ SoC tapering for the ride share vehicles to enable faster charging.

I don’t know but if there is a minimum required SOC it is probably so low as to be irrelevant since we’re just talking about 10 minutes with the infotainment system and a few other computers drawing a few hundreds watts at most.

That’s probably less than 100 Wh which is about 0.17% of the car’s ~60 kWh battery.
A GM video I watched (on InsideEVs) said the update may not be applied "if the battery is too weak" [actually video words].

Got the OTA update yesterday. Prompted me if I wanted to install it when turning off the car. Said it would take up to 5 minutes, but was installed in less than 2. Fairly painless update. Seems the main point of this OTA update was to upgrade the software for future updates. Still on 14.4.2 though. Thought this was the 14.5 update, but I guess not.

IMG_20180418_190058581.jpg IMG_20180418_223100897_LL.jpg IMG_20180418_223121313_LL.jpg IMG_20180418_223132573_LL.jpg IMG_20180418_223211934_LL.jpg IMG_20180418_223255898_LL.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Got the OTA update yesterday. Prompted me if I wanted to install it when turning off the car. Said it would take up to 5 minutes, but was installed in less than 2. Fairly painless update. Seems the main point of this OTA update was to upgrade the software for future updates. Still on 14.4.2 though. Thought this was the 14.5 update, but I guess not.

View attachment 295266 View attachment 295267 View attachment 295268 View attachment 295269 View attachment 295270 View attachment 295271
Pretty anticlimactic...

@bro1999 in the spirit of the key fob cry on the Model 3 side, you have a fob no smartphone is required so you leave your phone at home. But then you now don't have any onscreen nav. Is OnStar nav able to provide route guidance to include charging stops?

You just press the OnStar button and ask the person for directions. They then download the turn-by-turn directions over the air to your infotainment system for display. It is how OnStar has worked since it’s inception 20 years ago. (The phone app is a somewhat newfangled alternative.). I suppose they could find charging locations, but have never tried asking. The phone app definitely shows charging locations.

Reactions: McRat
You just press the OnStar button and ask the person for directions. They then download the turn-by-turn directions over the air to your infotainment system for display. It is how OnStar has worked since it’s inception 20 years ago. (The phone app is a somewhat newfangled alternative.). I suppose they could find charging locations, but have never tried asking. The phone app definitely shows charging locations.
I guess my question is weird, because most folks are going to have their phone, or aren't going to go far enough away without it that they would need to charge. I also asked because I saw the video for the ipace and it's nav will route you through chargers so a customer really doesn't need to have a smart phone.

I guess my question is weird, because most folks are going to have their phone, or aren't going to go far enough away without it that they would need to charge. I also asked because I saw the video for the ipace and it's nav will route you through chargers so a customer really doesn't need to have a smart phone.

OnStar gave me the ability 14 years ago to drive without being tethered to cellphone that reports "Temperature Too High, Cool Down Phone Prior To Use". But I'm an anomaly. I don't play Pokemon Go or Angry Birds in traffic, or have a need to text gossip while hurtling down the road in a 2 ton kinetic energy weapon.

I have not tried to locate charging stations with OnStar yet, so I can't say if it's an effective solution.

OnStar gave me the ability 14 years ago to drive without being tethered to cellphone that reports "Temperature Too High, Cool Down Phone Prior To Use". But I'm an anomaly. I don't play Pokemon Go or Angry Birds in traffic, or have a need to text gossip while hurtling down the road in a 2 ton kinetic energy weapon.

I have not tried to locate charging stations with OnStar yet, so I can't say if it's an effective solution.
I would press the button to find out, but don't pay for full service. That is why I asked @bro1999

On the MyChevrolet/OnStar iPhone app, when you bring up the Navigation screen and tap on the search dialog box, one of the options it shows is 'Find a Charge Station'. Touch on that and it shows, in my case sitting at home, the nearest ten or so public J-1772 sites. Pick one and it can send it to Apple map (which can be projected from the phone via CarPlay), Turn-by-Turn, or the in-dash Nav system. (The in-dash Nav is an option on the Volt, but not the Bolt EV.) I'd assume the Android version of the app is similar.

On the MyChevrolet/OnStar iPhone app, when you bring up the Navigation screen and tap on the search dialog box, one of the options it shows is 'Find a Charge Station'. Touch on that and it shows, in my case sitting at home, the nearest ten or so public J-1772 sites. Pick one and it can send it to Apple map (which can be projected from the phone via CarPlay), Turn-by-Turn, or the in-dash Nav system. (The in-dash Nav is an option on the Volt, but not the Bolt EV.) I'd assume the Android version of the app is similar.
Per the complaints on the Model 3 forum, this (bold) is the part that is the issue. One shouldn't need a phone app, or a phone, to do any of that. The car should have that info (or when pressing the OnStar button someone should be able to tell you).

Note: I am not saying how the Bolt does it currently is wrong, I am just asking if one can even do the same thing without using a phone app. As I drive an older Volt I never thought OnStar would know where charging stations were located. Plus I always have my phone, well that and I have gas to fall back on.